Was Keith Moon a good drummer?

Lorraine

In my opinion (and being a drummer myself for 30 years now), I would say he is among the best rock drummers in history- top five easily, and perhaps top three.

Moonie was a beast!

• Like 6

In my opinion (and being a drummer myself for 30 years now), I would say he is among the best rock drummers in history- top five easily, and perhaps top three.

Moonie was a beast!

What made him good?

His innate sense of timing- he and John Bonham were similar in that respect.

Moon could let loose on a rolling fill that seemed to overwhelm the sound of the other musicians he played with- so that the listener seems to be hearing only the drums (or at least that is my experience with it, when I hear those fills)- going on for several measures, even, and landing perfectly back on point with his bandmates. The fact that he could hear that timing in his head, and bring everything back to exactly where Jon and Pete were...it was just masterful.

• Like 9

Moonie was a beast!

What made him good?

His innate sense of timing- he and John Bonham were similar in that respect.

Moon could let loose on a rolling fill that seemed to overwhelm the sound of the other musicians he played with- so that the listener seems to be hearing only the drums (or at least that is my experience with it, when I hear those fills)- going on for several measures, even, and landing perfectly back on point with his bandmates. The fact that he could hear that timing in his head, and bring everything back to exactly where Jon and Pete were...it was just masterful.

Listened to Quadrophenia twice last week and focused primarily on him, and I know exactly what you are talking about.

• Like 2

His energy, his fills, his drumming style was so different, if you look at a gig like The Isle Of Wight, he's just a joy to watch. Like an octopus. He wasn't a straight ahead rocker or a jazzer, he was just himself. And he also believed the drummer to be far more than just a timekeeper at the back.
  • Like 9

You hadn't seen a drummer with such energy or ferocity behind the kit at that time. Loud, explosive (both figuratively and literally), and he was still able to roll with a sense of groove and keep the time like Bonham.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 2

That's why I like him and Bonham. And (I'll probably catch hell for this but ...) that's why I prefer both of their drumming styles to Neil's.

Why would you catch hell?

Neil Peart isn't my favorite rock drummer. He's in my personal top three behind Bonham and Ringo Starr (eff u haters).

I'm not the biggest Keith Moon fan in the world. I like a lot of other drummers before him. Will I catch hell on this thread? :huh:

• Like 1

That's why I like him and Bonham. And (I'll probably catch hell for this but ...) that's why I prefer both of their drumming styles to Neil's.

You will not catch any grief from this poster - I think Keith Moon was the best rock drummer ever. His excitement was (and still is) incredible. I am also with Roger Daltrey on his drumming - I think there was more going on there than meets the ear. He framed the vocals quite nicely (I think that Peart guy said something about listening to your singer as well).

Amazing drummer, and for my money probably the big bang in rock drumming (although I do agree that some of that can be traced back to some of the jazzers).

• Like 2

Neil Peart isn't my favorite rock drummer. He's in my personal top three behind Bonham and Ringo Starr (eff u haters).

I'm not the biggest Keith Moon fan in the world. I like a lot of other drummers before him. Will I catch hell on this thread? :huh:

You would ask such a question on a Rush forum? Did you not know that Neil is a god who can do no wrong?

• Like 1

You would ask such a question on a Rush forum? Did you not know that Neil is a god who can do no wrong?

You know, it's all about perspective. I see Neil getting bashed on this forum all the time. It seems he gets bashed more than he gets praised.

Anyway, he is undeniably one of the greatest rock drummers ever. And I don't argue against those who think he's the best.

The man is a musical treasure.

• Like 1

You know, it's all about perspective. I see Neil getting bashed on this forum all the time. It seems he gets bashed more than he gets praised.

Anyway, he is undeniably one of the greatest rock drummers ever. And I don't argue against those who think he's the best.

Neil gets bashed because some people don't like his lyrics, which is fair enough.

Other people can't stop whining and bash him because he doesn't want to tour anymore, or because of his extremely private personality.

Back on topic though, I can definitely understand preferences towards Bonzo or Moon over Neil. The first two are huge influences on Neil anyway so he'd probably agree! Neil took all of the energy and chops of Moon and Bonham and reined them into a more technical style. With more drums. Lots more drums.

• Like 3

It's all a matter of perspective. As you say.

• Like 1

I think Keith was just a natural at it which is why he was good. Didn't have to think about it.

It was just a gift.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, and sadly, Keith Moon's lifestyle caught up with him and his playing ability diminished. Didn't the Who remove Keith Moon's drums from the song "Music Must Change" because he couldn't keep time?

If this is so, that's very sad.

Edited by Lorraine

Moonie was a beast!

AS a drummer of 35 years I agree with the above statement. I know a professional drummer. He's a very good friend of mine. He never liked Moony Toon. He always says that Keith overplays his parts and that he is actually quite sloppy.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, and sadly, Keith Moon's lifestyle caught up with him and his playing ability diminished. Didn't the Who remove Keith Moon's drums from the song "Music Must Change" because he couldn't keep time?

Don't forget the famous time out here on the West Coast at the Cow Palace!! South SF!!! Keith passed out from drugs and alcohol half way through the set. Pete had to ask someone from the audience if they could jump on the drums and play through the rest of the set. Sure enough a young drummer emerged onto the stage and played with the band. There is footage I believe. The kid did a good job considering the circumstances.

• Like 2

As a Who fan from the beginning, I'd say Moon was revolutionary. He played "lead drums" as with only two other instruments, he had to fill sound. He was an amazing showman also. I don't know if his technique was good but he sure sounded amazing.

As his life style went out of control, his drumming deteriorated, sadly. What a waste!

• Like 5

Don't forget the famous time out here on the West Coast at the Cow Palace!! South SF!!! Keith passed out from drugs and alcohol half way through the set. Pete had to ask someone from the audience if they could jump on the drums and play through the rest of the set. Sure enough a young drummer emerged onto the stage and played with the band. There is footage I believe. The kid did a good job considering the circumstances.

Now that you mention that, I remember hearing about it back then.

As a Who fan from the beginning, I'd say Moon was revolutionary. He played "lead drums" as with only two other instruments, he had to fill sound. He was an amazing showman also. I don't know if his technique was good but he sure sounded amazing.

As his life style went out of control, his drumming deteriorated, sadly. What a waste!

RC, I agree. What a waste of talent.

• Like 2

I *thought* the story was that he struggled with the 6/8 meter and never could get a drum part cut for it. Weird, since I think the previous album had a song with that meter on it that he had no trouble with.

IIRC, he also lived in California with no drumkit in the mid-1970s and this seems to have been blamed for some of the decline some have noted on Who Are You.

• Like 1