Rank the KING'S X discography for me please

Jumping in now finally. I have had and loved Faith Hope Love for over 20 years -- one of my favorite albums of that entire decade, but for some reason I never continued. Time to change that kids.

Please also share a brief thought about each album, however brief or wordy as you want to be.

A thousand thanks..!

• Like 2

I can only rank the albums i have.

1. Out of the Silent Planet- Great album. Best most perfect one too.

2. Faith Hope Love-Excellent Very beatles like.

3. Ear Candy-It is what the title says. great melodies here.

4. King's X- A darker sound. but i enjoy it.

5. Gretchen Goes to Nebraska-A bit of a sophmore slump but still great in it's own way.

6. Tape Head- Meh rust ses in here.

7. Dogman-Ditto

I've heard bits from the other stuff. Nothing else grabs me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

1. Gretchen. Absolutely flawless

2. Kings X. Where they start to leave the past behind and progress to a heavier, more direct path.

3. Tape Head. I just listened to this for rhe first time and its absoultely breathtaking.

4. Debut. Where it all began. The identity is set.

5. FHL. The highs on this are breathtaking. Lyrically its bordering on being a secular album and a few of the tracks seem like padding.

6. Ear Candy. Beatlesque rock man. Trippy and solid.

7. Dogman. Where they attempt to fall in line with the standards of the day. Well produced and grungy but the songs just arent quite there.

Thats all I Have heard so far.

I think King's X are a band you need to decide for yourself as to which is best.

I will from now on abstain from hyperbole, we each enjoy music in our own way.

This is MY ranking, and I would be happy to note someone elses difference in opinion.

1. Faith Hope Love

2. Out Of The Silent Planet

3. Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

4. Ear Candy

5. King's X

I also have Dogman, but I choose no to rank it as I personally gain little from it. I am still working forwards with King's X post- Ear Candy work.

1 - Faith Hope Love

2 - Please Come Home ...Mr. Bulbous

3 - IV

4 - King's X

5 - Gretch Goes to Nebraska

6 - Ogre Tunes

7 - Dogman

8 - Ear Candy

9 - Tapehead

10 - Manic Moonlight

11 - Black Like Sunday

12- Out of a Silent Planet

• Like 1

1 - Faith Hope Love

3 - IV

4 - King's X

6 - Ogre Tunes

7 - Dogman

8 - Ear Candy

9 - Tapehead

10 - Manic Moonlight

11 - Black Like Sunday

I forever thank you for alerting me to this band! They remain my favourite prog-discovery of the 2015/16 period!

• Like 3

1 - Faith Hope Love

3 - IV

4 - King's X

6 - Ogre Tunes

7 - Dogman

8 - Ear Candy

9 - Tapehead

10 - Manic Moonlight

11 - Black Like Sunday

I forever thank you for alerting me to this band! They remain my favourite prog-discovery of the 2015/16 period!

i thank you both. I told the story of where i bought the first 7 on a binge and filed then inexplicably in my closet to be forgotten, lol

You guys made me dig em out.

i have really no interest in the 2000's work from what i've heard.

But i love what i know of them.

Mick

• Like 2

1 - Faith Hope Love

3 - IV

4 - King's X

6 - Ogre Tunes

7 - Dogman

8 - Ear Candy

9 - Tapehead

10 - Manic Moonlight

11 - Black Like Sunday

:cheers:
  • Like 1

1 - Faith Hope Love

3 - IV

4 - King's X

6 - Ogre Tunes

7 - Dogman

8 - Ear Candy

9 - Tapehead

10 - Manic Moonlight

11 - Black Like Sunday

i thank you both. I told the story of where i bought the first 7 on a binge and filed then inexplicably in my closet to be forgotten, lol

Mick

:cheers: Thank you for reawakening my love and appreciation for Tom Waits.
  • Like 1

1 - Faith Hope Love

3 - IV

4 - King's X

6 - Ogre Tunes

7 - Dogman

8 - Ear Candy

9 - Tapehead

10 - Manic Moonlight

11 - Black Like Sunday

Mick

:cheers: Thank you for reawakening my love and appreciation for Tom Waits.

your most welcome.......my fav artist bar none. Just hope he clicks with Segue at some point, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Nobody sent me the Bat signal...This is right in my wheelhouse. I will best rank my personal favorites. Keep in mind I like (and own) the complete catalog, so King's X for me doesn't end after Dogman. ;)

1. Please Come Home, Mr. Bulbous - Not for everyone. Experimental and weird, but I love every minute of it. Move Me gives me goosebumps.

2. Ear Candy - More mainstream. Melodies everywhere. Just great songs like A Box, Mississippi Moon, Picture. Yes, very Beatlesque!

3. Gretchen goes to Nebraska - Their classic. Best starting point.

4. Faith, Hope, Love - Classic King's X songs loaded on this album. Mr. Wilson is a favorite along with WWBTBL.

5. Tape Head - Easily accessible rock music. Groove Machine!

6. Manic Moonlight - Stripped down weirdness in the mode of "Bulbous". Believe! Vegetable!

7. Dogman - Heavy, grungy, but hit and miss. Crank this one.

8. King's X - Not a favorite, but some gems here. Lost in Germany!

9. Out of the Silent Planet - Early goods. Beautiful stuff.

10. Ogre Tones - Hit and miss. "Hurricane" and "Mudd" are where I live.

11. XV - Some good, nothig really great. Uneven. Love and Rockets! Rocket Ship!

12. Black like Sunday - Reworked older material. Sounds dated. Title track is a favorite. and the other "Working Man".

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself
  • Like 2

Imagine asking Rush fans the same question. It's impossible to get a 'definitive' list. Like with so many fans and bands, when you get introduced to the band has as much to do with what albums you end up cherishing as does your personal tastes. I'm a hard and classic rock guy, so the Dogman and Ear Candy era appeals to me most. Their earlier stuff was too prog lite and hair band sounding for my tastes. I pretty much discounted them until Dogman, then they caught my attention. My list would be very different from a few above. That said, I don't listen to King's X much anymore. There's a couple dozen bands I'd put ahead of them now in my personal favorites list. But for a few years I loved the shit out of 'em! Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I find King's X very progressive. And from day one, I find them better than Dream Theater.

Because my initial reaction to KX was that they were similar to the early DT I had heard, and whilst I find DT more style than substance, and overtime I enjoy the mere pleasantness of their sound, King's X really speak to me.

I think the first three albums as well share the same magic quality as Moving Pictures, which is also a streamlined prog rock album.

Plus, I think they are as progressive as Saga (who, by the way Mick, are still blowing me away! Thanks for them!).

• Like 3

I find King's X very progressive. And from day one, I find them better than Dream Theater.

Because my initial reaction to KX was that they were similar to the early DT I had heard, and whilst I find DT more style than substance, and overtime I enjoy the mere pleasantness of their sound, King's X really speak to me.

I think the first three albums as well share the same magic quality as Moving Pictures, which is also a streamlined prog rock album.

Plus, I think they are as progressive as Saga (who, by the way Mick, are still blowing me away! Thanks for them!).

i haven't heard you mention Saga in a while who i think.......at least their first 4 were more prog then KX

I mean it's fine if people hear prog in them but i really don't. Song's are way to straight forward for prog to me anyway.

now i need to hear some saga, lol

Mick

• Like 1

i haven't heard you mention Saga in a while who i think.......at least their first 4 were more prog then KX

I mean it's fine if people hear prog in them but i really don't. Song's are way to straight forward for prog to me anyway.

now i need to hear some saga, lol

Mick

Straight forward? The songs are to a point, but the arrangements are very unique and often take the songs in directions another band never would have dreamt of.

Saga to me still sound more AOR than prog.

I'm bit baffled by the pro(g) label for this band by ssome i in no way would consider them one.

ugh......prog is such a broad label for people now, lol

Mick

Earlier stuff definitely had prog elements. I'd still consider them more a plain rock (or later on hard rock) band than anything else.

• Like 1

I'm bit baffled by the pro(g) label for this band by ssome i in no way would consider them one.

Mick

Earlier stuff definitely had prog elements. I'd still consider them more a plain rock (or later on hard rock) band than anything else.

Me too. But like i said people's view on prog has become so broad these days it's tough to call.

Mick

Mick

Me too. But like i said people's view on prog has become so broad these days it's tough to call.

Mick

Yeah, I'm not well versed in "prog", but I can definitely see some prog elements in the first handful of King's X albums. Later albums are more straight forward with a nice groove. As long as they bring the heavy with the great harmonies/melodies...I'm there either way.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Yeah, I'm not well versed in "prog", but I can definitely see some prog elements in the first handful of King's X albums. Later albums are more straight forward with a nice groove. As long as they bring the heavy with the great harmonies/melodies...I'm there either way.

I find the prog elements ended with Dogman. But prior to that, if Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are referred to as prog, then those first four albums are as well.

I like how they evolved though! They have a prog spirit though, but more in the vein of Rush or Kansas than early Genesis or King Crimson.

• Like 2