Acceptable Super Bowl Food?

So, my lovely wife asks me what I will be serving for Super Bowl food.

I tell her I am going to make a Buffalo Turkey and Scalloped Potatoes Au gratin with Bacon and a Salad.

She thinks I am nuts (I really am BTW but that is a different topic) because she says Super Bowl food is finger foods ( Eg; wings and mini burgers) and chili chips dips and such. She also thinks that what I am making is more like a Thanksgiving dinner than one for the big game. I think food is food and if some one else is doing the cooking (and dishes) it's all good. I already had the turkey in the freezer as I usually by a cople extra Turkeys at Thanksgiving when the price is dirt cheap. So she asked me to ask you guys what your take on it is.

So what say you?

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

So, my lovely wife asks me what I will be serving for Super Bowl food.

I tell her I am going to make a Buffalo Turkey and Scalloped Potatoes Au gratin with Bacon and a Salad.

She thinks I am nuts (I really am BTW but that is a different topic) because she says Super Bowl food is finger foods ( Eg; wings and mini burgers) and chili chips dips and such. She also thinks that what I am making is more like a Thanksgiving dinner than one for the big game. I think food is food and if some one else is doing the cooking (and dishes) it's all good. I already had the turkey in the freezer as I usually by a cople extra Turkeys at Thanksgiving when the price is dirt cheap. So she asked me to ask you guys what your take on it is.

So what say you?

Games are usually finger foods - but I have a friend who cooks "real" food for the game party. I say, good for you, and your friends will think they are totally winning!

• Like 1

Food is food. I prefer finger foods like wings but all food is good when you're watching football. I'm about to head to the store and pick up a bunch of shit while trying to discourage my friend from buying that nasty Bud Light.
  • Like 3

I usually scratch cook something for the SB, pizza, stew, soup, etc. This year it's ground turkey chili, an interesting recipe Karen discovered using, of all things, pumpkin puree as a thickener. Sounds odd, but it works!

Chili, tortilla chips, and a 6 pack of Negra Modelo-OLE!

• Like 4

My husband, daughter. and her roommate will all be here for the game and they all have bad chest colds. I have switched from chicken chili and Bronco orange cake to homemade chicken soup, seriously. This is what I need-

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/images-2_6.jpeg

• Like 2

I think it sounds delicious, kudos to you for wanting to do something different besides nachos or whatever.

But, what is Buffalo turkey? Is it like Buffalo wings?

Ahhh the question I knew I would be asked, other that my better 1/2 said "WTF is that???" :LOL: basically you are right blueschica, it is a whole smaller (12lb) turkey that will be injected and basted with my own buffalo hotwing sauce. I have never done this with a turkey but I did do a trial run with a whole chicken and it was awesome. The concept I like is one can have a "traditional" dinner plate or the turkey can be carved and put on bread for a sandwich. I love turkey so I think it will turn out good. I will also have snacks as well although not going crazy with them.

• Like 3

I usually scratch cook something for the SB, pizza, stew, soup, etc. This year it's ground turkey chili, an interesting recipe Karen discovered using, of all things, pumpkin puree as a thickener. Sounds odd, but it works!

Chili, tortilla chips, and a 6 pack of Negra Modelo-OLE!

Sounds awesome!

Food is food. I prefer finger foods like wings but all food is good when you're watching football. I'm about to head to the store and pick up a bunch of shit while trying to discourage my friend from buying that nasty Bud Light.

Right ON! But light YUCK :finbar: Here is what beer I will be (I am ;) ) enjoying

http://rollingrock.biz/images/bottle.png

• Like 1

My husband, daughter. and her roommate will all be here for the game and they all have bad chest colds. I have switched from chicken chili and Bronco orange cake to homemade chicken soup, seriously. This is what I need-

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/images-2_6.jpeg

Jewish penicillin always does the trick ;) and the Bronco orange cake sounds delish. :D

• Like 1

I think it sounds delicious, kudos to you for wanting to do something different besides nachos or whatever.

But, what is Buffalo turkey? Is it like Buffalo wings?

Ahhh the question I knew I would be asked, other that my better 1/2 said "WTF is that???" :LOL: basically you are right blueschica, it is a whole smaller (12lb) turkey that will be injected and basted with my own buffalo hotwing sauce. I have never done this with a turkey but I did do a trial run with a whole chicken and it was awesome. The concept I like is one can have a "traditional" dinner plate or the turkey can be carved and put on bread for a sandwich. I love turkey so I think it will turn out good. I will also have snacks as well although not going crazy with them.

This sounds really good! I'm betting not many leftovers! :)

• Like 2

Wings. Pizza. The usual finger foods.

My wife wants to make pasta and meatballs too. It's all good. :)

Let's go Denver.

• Like 2

Right ON! But light YUCK :finbar: Here is what beer I will be (I am ;) ) enjoying

http://rollingrock.biz/images/bottle.png

Gotta love the Rolling Rock!

• Like 1

Anything that doesn't make you PUKE. http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Sick-Vomiting/puking-07.gif
  • Like 1

there's just basic absolute super bowl staples.

something crunchy (don't worry if not "inherently" crunchy - place in oven uncovered on broil until crunchy.

next

spicy, again, anything just cover in cayenne pepper and tabasco sauce.

BBQ sauce, lots of bbq sauce.

and

need even mention ... beer

one more

salty stuff, again... add salt to whatever.

• Like 1