Pick and explain

mother of all machines

We all know Rush songs are full of meanings and ideas. What i want to do is for you to pick any random part of any random Rush song and explain what do you believe it means. (I don't put this is in Roll the bones as i believe this is more a debate than a game)

For example,

"We need someone to talk to,

And someone to sweep the floors"

I think this talks about the fact some people really believe the people who clean houses are not "people" but just someone who works for them, not someone you can "talk to"

Maybe some of you believe this means nothing, or something completely different. I would love to see more points of views in different songs. Post your ideas!

For example,

I think this talks about the fact some people really believe the people who clean houses are not "people" but just someone who works for them, not someone you can "talk to"

Actually, we can go broader than that, because housekeepers are a disconnected concept within the context of the rest of the lyrics. When Neil writes lyrics and Geddy sings them in this song, it hints at pollution, disaster, emotional discomfort. He's talking about how humans need both emotional and practical support. It is not enough to have somebody to discuss with, you need somebody who does things, and somebody who is a problem solver, who resets everything to zero after a mess.

The way it's sang suggests that they are aware of the people in those roles: people who clean up houses, yes, but also people who clean up after disasters, people who write news stories that "sweep the floor", people whose work enables the survival of others. They're generally anonymous, and therefore dehumanized in regards to the list of available participants in somebody's personal life.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 4

We all know Rush songs are full of meanings and ideas. What i want to do is for you to pick any random part of any random Rush song and explain what do you believe it means. (I don't put this is in Roll the bones as i believe this is more a debate than a game)

For example,

Maybe some of you believe this means nothing, or something completely different. I would love to see more points of views in different songs. Post your ideas!

What I believe those lyrics mean is that we need someone to sweep the floors or the dirt and garbage will pile up too high and we will not be able to talk because the dirt and garbage will go in our mouths when we try to talk. I thought that was pretty obvious, but that's just me.
  • Like 1

For example,

Actually, we can go broader than that, because housekeepers are a disconnected concept within the context of the rest of the lyrics. When Neil writes lyrics and Geddy sings them in this song, it hints at pollution, disaster, emotional discomfort. He's talking about how humans need both emotional and practical support. It is not enough to have somebody to discuss with, you need somebody who does things, and somebody who is a problem solver, who resets everything to zero after a mess.

We need philosophers and ploughmen.

• Like 2

For example,

As long as they each know their part. We can't have any ploughmen start philosophizing, you know. The philosophers' union would be all up in arms.

• Like 2

"We're on the train to Bangkok, aboard that silent express."

Clearly this is demonstrating how, when everyone gets too stoned, no one wants to talk on the train

• Like 3

For example,

As long as they each know their part. We can't have any ploughmen start philosophizing, you know. The philosophers' union would be all up in arms.

At least until Cygnus shows up, then everything will balance out.

• Like 2

Clearly this is demonstrating how, when everyone gets too stoned, no one wants to talk on the train

Maybe you were joking, but the lyrics are:

We're on the train to Bangkok

Aboard the Thailand Express

• Like 1

Too much fuss and bother

Too much contradiction and confusion

Peel away the mystery

Here's a clue to some real motivation

All there really is

The two of us

And we both know why we've come along

Nothing to explain

It's a part of us

To be found within a song

Geddy, on his relationship with Alex, and the band and music business as a whole .. I think Different Strings was definitely an ode to Alex, with some subtle references to Neil

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I once saw someone on here mistake the lyric for "silent express." I guess it's an inside joke with myself :smoke:
  • Like 1

I once saw someone on here mistake the lyric for "silent express." I guess it's an inside joke with myself :smoke:

lol

I see

Too much fuss and bother

Peel away the mystery

All there really is

The two of us

Nothing to explain

It's a part of us

Geddy, on his relationship with Alex, and the band and music business as a whole .. I think Different Strings was definitely an ode to Alex, with some subtle references to Neil

I've never looked at that song from this angle. Pretty interesting food for thought.

• Like 2

Too much fuss and bother

Peel away the mystery

All there really is

The two of us

Nothing to explain

It's a part of us

I've never looked at that song from this angle. Pretty interesting food for thought.

I looked at it as a possible reference to their wives.
  • Like 2

Too much fuss and bother

Peel away the mystery

All there really is

The two of us

Nothing to explain

It's a part of us

Yeah, I've always interpreted it as just a silly little love song. I like Lucas' take, though.

Too much fuss and bother

Peel away the mystery

All there really is

The two of us

Nothing to explain

It's a part of us

Yeah, I've always interpreted it as just a silly little love song. I like Lucas' take, though.

...or Al was getting tired of using Dean Markley's and wanted Different Strings.

So as long as we are talking about song meanings ... Did the dude in 2112 take his self out or did he die of old age?

I interpreted it as suicide. I think the 1976 Ayn Rand influenced Peart saw that as a noble thing; to die rather than give in. And he became the martyr for the Grand Finale war.

The 2012 Neil who wrote CA would probably see that as a bad thing now. The Garden has supplanted (pun intended) the 2112 dude.

• Like 2

Too much fuss and bother

Peel away the mystery

All there really is

The two of us

Nothing to explain

It's a part of us

Yeah I always thought it was a love song. But it does make sense either way.

• Like 1