anyone ever notice this error in the Counterparts liner notes?

jnoble

"Thanks to Wal basses"

No, he went nowhere near his Wal basses recording that album. Why do you think the bass sound was so much thicker and in your face than the plinky Wal albums of previous?

You think if anything, that mistake wouldn't have slipped by. :eyeroll:

Well, if you're not a musician and don't know anything about what kind of basses Geddy plays, then you wouldn't notice anything wrong with the liner notes. I'm guessing that's the case for a lot of us.

My guess is Geddy or anyone else involved in the recording never read the liner notes, so the error went unnoticed.

• Like 1

"Thanks to Wal basses"

No, he went nowhere near his Wal basses recording that album. Why do you think the bass sound was so much thicker and in your face than the plinky Wal albums of previous?

Yes maybe he was thanking them for then endorsement and the service meaning really nothing but that.

• Like 5

"Thanks to Wal basses"

Yes maybe he was thanking them for then endorsement and the service meaning really nothing but that.

Yes, I'm not sure when thanks began to mean "used on the album."

• Like 4

"Thanks to Wal basses"

It's more of a polite Canadian way of saying "thanks to Wal basses...but good riddance"
  • Like 1

Wal basses are in NO WAY to be blamed for the duck farts of the 80s

'duck farts'?

I've heard the phrase used to describe Geddy's bass tone in the mid to late 80s. :smoke:

Wal basses are in NO WAY to be blamed for the duck farts of the 80s

'duck farts'?

I've heard the phrase used to describe Geddy's bass tone in the mid to late 80s. :smoke:

Wals sound farty to me and I've used that term.

"Thanks to Wal basses"

Yes, I'm not sure when thanks began to mean "used on the album."

^ That.

I kept hoping that the error in the Counterparts liner notes was:

Music by Lee and Lifeson

Lyrics by Peart

but apparently they did actually write it.... :(

• Like 2

It's a mistake to thank a company on liner notes to an album even though you didn't use any of their products in the recording of the album? Who knows in what capacity that 'thank you' was meant? Maybe Wal donated to a charity or something like that.

You know, Wal basses are quite good basses and have a thick bottom end when dialed in. The reason Geddy's Wal sounds like it does on those recordings has nothing to do with the bass and everything to do with choice... Geddy's and the producer. Search Trevor Jones, Justin Chancellor, Colin Moulding just for a start on how a Wal can sound.

Also, it was the time period. Very little mid to late 80s music production grabs my attention.

Edited by micgtr71
  • Like 1

Exactly and they are fantastic basses, I own two myself and wouldn't play anything else! Check out Flea's tone on Blood Sugar Sex Magic and then tell me it sounds farty! Eagle Moon obviously has a dislike for these instruments and has constantly ran them down but that's one persons opinion and means little! Plenty of love around for Geddy's tone with them and for these superb basses in general! Edited by New Digital Man
  • Like 2

Yes worse than Presto.

Counterparts is not their best, but let's not be silly.

I give: How does Indiana make the three, but Kentucky get the points? *mind blown*

ESPN loves Coach Cal and the SEC. It's just business.

My guess is Geddy or anyone else involved in the recording never read the liner notes, so the error went unnoticed.

Thanks, Mr Occam, for ruining what was otherwise a completely mediocre thread.