US Army Band plays Tom Sawyer!

Jaminbenb

Can't find a YouTube kind of link...but do a search on Facebook for the US Army Band "Swamp Romp" playing Tom Sawyer! Great stuff! Sounds like Zappa's band from the Grand Wazoo-Waka/Jawaka era!

Awesome!

And you're right. That would fit right on Grand Wazoo or Waka/Jawaka

Can't find a YouTube kind of link...but do a search on Facebook for the US Army Band "Swamp Romp" playing Tom Sawyer! Great stuff! Sounds like Zappa's band from the Grand Wazoo-Waka/Jawaka era!

Awesome!

And you're right. That would fit right on Grand Wazoo or Waka/Jawaka

It's just amazing how that would have fit! Kind of like putting two of my favorite bands together!

• Like 1

Love it....saw people complaining on facebook the drummer has sheet music ( like that's a bad thing?)....heeerfrfff durf....this isn't three dudes playing cover in a garageband trying to duplicate the original ( and probably botching it anyway BTW ).... this is a different arrangement similar to a big band situation...reading charts isn't a bad thing....its what pros do all the time.

The performance is great....guitarist was great as well.

• Like 6

Love it....saw people complaining on facebook the drummer has sheet music ( like that's a bad thing?)....heeerfrfff durf....this isn't three dudes playing cover in a garageband trying to duplicate the original ( and probably botching it anyway BTW ).... this is a different arrangement similar to a big band situation...reading charts isn't a bad thing....its what pros do all the time.

People complaining about this jam need their heads examined. A superb effort. It's about as cool as it can get in my book.
  • Like 2

People complaining about this jam need their heads examined. A superb effort. It's about as cool as it can get in my book.

Agreed ...and too many fanbois who either don't play or have very limited musical experience ( playing in garage "I'm gonna nail it man") seem to have this bizarre idea that reading sheet music equals subpar musicianship....? Its the most misguided ignorant notion ever.....

• Like 3

Agreed ...and too many fanbois who either don't play or have very limited musical experience ( playing in garage "I'm gonna nail it man") seem to have this bizarre idea that reading sheet music equals subpar musicianship....? Its the most misguided ignorant notion ever.....

I wish I could read and play like that.

Yeah, no kidding, that guitar solo was cool!

Just to add....I HATE cover bands that try to replicate as close to the original as possible...about the only one I ever really enjoyed was The Musical Box (Genesis) doing The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway! I never had the privilege to ever see that live...these guys did it AMAZING-LY! (because Genesis would never consider ever bringing THAT one back...Peter Gabriel be damned!)

I'm TIRED of Pink Floyd cover bands...I REFUSE to go see a Rush cover band..so when I see stuff like this, I can appreciate it!

• Like 1

Just to add....I HATE cover bands that try to replicate as close to the original as possible...about the only one I ever really enjoyed was The Musical Box (Genesis) doing The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway! I never had the privilege to ever see that live...these guys did it AMAZING-LY! (because Genesis would never consider ever bringing THAT one back...Peter Gabriel be damned!)

I'm TIRED of Pink Floyd cover bands...I REFUSE to go see a Rush cover band..so when I see stuff like this, I can appreciate it!

I wouldn't mind a whole album like this...

I'll see a Rush cover band if I'm reasonably certain I'll hear something after Signals or Grace Under Pressure.

I wouldn't mind a whole album like this...

I'll see a Rush cover band if I'm reasonably certain I'll hear something after Signals or Grace Under Pressure.

Yeah, I like how they did their own version of it as opposed to a bunch of guys trying to BE Rush...

I guess half the problem is that I've heard recordings of Rush tribute acts, and I hate the fact that they are trying to sound exactly LIKE the band...(and I hate people struggling to sound like Geddy...hell GEDDY is stuggling to sound like Geddy these days!)

I also got tired of the Floyd tributes, too. Hell back in the day, I used to have musician friends that were all in different bands, and we'd get together on off weekends occasionally, and just jam at things...we got into a Rush mode once and thought we should attempt being a tribute act on the side...until we got into a Yes mode...then a UK mode (that was tough as a drummer) and other things...

I have a great CD set of different bands playing old Floyd tunes, but NOT trying to replicate it to the point that you have to listen closely to see if it IS Floyd playing! They take the song, and make it in their own style, which is cool! (album is called A Fair Forgery of Pink Floyd)

Edited by Jaminbenb