Holy Shiitake Mushrooms! I Met Dave Weckl Tonight! We Talked About "Burning For Buddy." Race Tracks, Divorce And Neil Peart's Playing Abilities!

RUSHHEAD666

Well knock another drummer off my bucket list. Finally got to meet Dave Weckl at a meet and greet at Yoshi's in Oakland Ca. A gem of a joint with the best sushi in Northern California.

I've met a plethora of musicians there. Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, and Michael Schenker. All cool cats in my book. Weckl? Pure class and down to earth!

Of course I wore my black "RUSH" original logo t shirt.

We talked about all kinds of stuff. There were only 8 people there for the meet and greet so you know me. I blabbed on and on and on and Dave was totally awesome!!!

So the first thing I mentioned was the "Burning For Buddy" sessions. I asked him how it went and how was Neil with everyone?

He told me:

"Well it was Neil's project so he was really excited about it. He was always upbeat, telling jokes and stories with the other guys."

So I guess it's safe to say that when Neil is in his comfort zone, i.e. "The Drummer Collective" everything is just peachy.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

I then told him that I got into Neil's drumming at a very young age. I told him, "I can play to every Rush record all the way through, but when I try to play to your records I can't get it all."

Dave said, "Well Neil has a very different approach to the drum kit. His style of drumming very systematic where in the world a Jazz you need to develop more of a fluid style of play."

I told him that I wish I studied jazz instead of progressive rock. He just laughed.

So then we started talking about race tracks. I had no idea that Dave loves to get on a race track and floor it.

He told me that during the "Burning For Buddy" project many of the drummers hit the race track to have some fun.

Neil was one of those guys! He said Neil loved hitting the race track! Doesn't surprise me at all!

We talked about divorce too. But I won't type about that shit.

Music is my bride.

Drums are my manic mistress.

I know there was a long time inside joke about Dave Weckl on this Forum. It's a bit fuzzy but now that I met the man I am totally pumped!!!!

TOP FIVE DRUMMERS IN THE WORLD:

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

I'VE MET THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a drummer I AM BLESSED!!!!!

CIAO!!!

• Like 11

You two RULE!! THANK YOU!

I'm on CLOUD NINE!!!!

I really needed this night boys. Seriously. I had the front row right in front of Dave's kit. I was in HEAVEN. Had tiny tears in my eyes of wonderment.

The last time I saw Dave was like 5 years ago. I was front row same table with my ex-wife. It was when he was in the Chick Corea Elecktric Band. Absolutely stunning.

It was their last show in America so after Dave's drum solo the band went back into a quick jam featuring Chick on the Keytar. Killer. Just like the Ghost fella. LOL

So they all came out on the stage and bowed. I yelled at Dave, "GOOD LUCK IN TOKYO!" He came over to me and handed me his drumsticks!

I was in awe. People in the crowd were buzzing around me. He mouthed something to me like, "If you aren't a drummer no worries."

Well there must be Fate or Karma Or Destiny or just flat out luck. 5 years later I was able to tell him that story and that he made a great choice because I AM A DRUMMER!!

So it's also very strange. 5 years ago I was at table 6 front row. Tonight I was at table 6 front row.

The way I feel I look at it this way.

I am very blessed and very lucky in this life. Music and drumming have been very good to me.

Women?

Well being with one for 21 years was a blessing too, but now going forward. Forget it.

I will emerge myself in my daughters, music, drums and concerts. Sports too.

Anyway back to the band!!!! Tom Kennedy was on the bass. He was right above me too. AMAZING!!!!!!! Stanley Clarke meets Les Claypool.

The piano player was off the charts too. The sax player amazing as well.

The Dave Weckl Acoustic Band was a 10!!!!!!!!

I've seen a shitload of shows guys. This was one of the best!

Everybody knows that Neil can't swing.

I loved his double bass matchstick grip daze.

Oh well.

I'm going to play to some Weckl solo stuff tomorrow. "Heads Up" is a great record. Ever listen to the tune, "7th Avenue South?" It will blow your mind.

I mentioned that song to Dave. I told him that I have a very hard time playing to it.

He just looked at me and smiled.

He autographed my 8 x 11 paper ticket. As he handed it back to me he dropped it, but caught it in midair with both hands.

He instantly responded, "Whew..... fast hands!"

Classic shit.

I love him.

• Like 2

Lucky bastard.. ;)

"Say Larry your a BASTARD." "LARRY YOUR A BASTARD!"

Tim Alexander would be my 6th TOP DRUMMER IN THE WORLD! I met him too!!!

"BASTARD" by Motley Crue!!

Damn! Never met Tommy Lee!

Signed,

"TOMMY THE CAT"

LOL!!!

• Like 2

Awesome story Earl, you are THE MAN !!!

You are totally inspiring with your enthusiam

Thank you my brother!!!!

I'm not stupid!

I know many on here are annoyed by my outlandish, high energy threads and posts!! OH WELL!

I was born to annoy!

No wonder my wife left me! LOL!!!!

I will never change for anyone Lucas.

People on here can BLOCK ME if they don't like me.

I've made a ton of friends on here. That's actually important to me!!!!

I intend to be "SINGLE FOR LIFE, HALF WAY TO DEATH."

No woman would ever put up with me!!

I am fine.

This is my second week in a row living alone and I love it!!!

I just listened to the new Weckl Acoustic album that he signed for me. But now ABBA is playing!!!!! SUPER TROUPER!!!!!!

GHOST is up next.

How fitting............

CHEERS!!!!!!!!

RUSH ON!!!!!!

GREATEST BAND IN THIS GLORIOUS GHOST OF A CHANCE GALAXY!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

Well knock another drummer off my bucket list. Finally got to meet Dave Weckl at a meet and greet at Yoshi's in Oakland Ca. A gem of a joint with the best sushi in Northern California.

I've met a plethora of musicians there. Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, and Michael Schenker. All cool cats in my book. Weckl? Pure class and down to earth!

We talked about all kinds of stuff. There were only 8 people there for the meet and greet so you know me. I blabbed on and on and on and Dave was totally awesome!!!

So the first thing I mentioned was the "Burning For Buddy" sessions. I asked him how it went and how was Neil with everyone?

He told me:

"Well it was Neil's project so he was really excited about it. He was always upbeat, telling jokes and stories with the other guys."

So I guess it's safe to say that when Neil is in his comfort zone, i.e. "The Drummer Collective" everything is just peachy.

I then told him that I got into Neil's drumming at a very young age. I told him, "I can play to every Rush record all the way through, but when I try to play to your records I can't get it all."

Dave said, "Well Neil has a very different approach to the drum kit. His style of drumming very systematic where in the world a Jazz you need to develop more of a fluid style of play."

I told him that I wish I studied jazz instead of progressive rock. He just laughed.

So then we started talking about race tracks. I had no idea that Dave loves to get on a race track and floor it.

He told me that during the "Burning For Buddy" project many of the drummers hit the race track to have some fun.

Neil was one of those guys! He said Neil loved hitting the race track! Doesn't surprise me at all!

Music is my bride.

I know there was a long time inside joke about Dave Weckl on this Forum. It's a bit fuzzy but now that I met the man I am totally pumped!!!!

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Excellent! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

Oh yes and Gadd. He was so nice too. God I love Yoshi's.

We discussed the "Aja" record. I called him "The Triplet King." He laughed.

Shit I am dork but every famous drummer I have met in my life has been so gracious, fun and down to earth. Well except Neil.

LOL!

Weckl thinks Neil is a great guy.

I get it. As long as you are in that elusive, sacred "Drummer Collective" Circle.

I prefer Promark over Vic Firth.

Oh well. I'm a hypocrite on a public forum. I have been using Weckl's sticks for ten years. Been used Promark 747's since the beginning.

I'm insane.

But I'm really not.

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Thank you my METAL BROTHER!!!

Life is short!!

FUKK IT!

People on this forum and people who I have met over the decades in my life think that I am on drugs and insane.

It's been very tiring and lame but I have been taking it forever.

I've never done cocaine in my life.

I do drink beer. That's it.

Music and drumming are my true choice in DRUGS!!!

Hey!

Whoever reads this shit.

Don't worry about me.

Take a look into the "Wilderness Of Mirrors" and worry about yourself.

I snorted so much Dave Weckl tonight that I can't come down man.

Might fall into a permanent wave COMA.

Signed,

G N R

Another cool story Earl!

Hey, when are you going to meet Stewart Copeland? I read his bio in an exotic place, on a crazy situation: my wife and I were vacationing in the Galapagos Islands and were told about an approaching tsunami. we had to leave the hotel and find a place to stay in the upper part of one of the islands. We only had mats to sleep on, so I was quite uncomfortable and decided to stay awake - I only had Stewart´s book as a companion, so I went through it in one night!

• Like 4

Lol at people who I have met...in my life think I am on drugs and insane. I'm not sure who here is "tired of your high energy posts," I assumed everyone enjoys them. I think you are doing things we are either unable or not interested in doing but enjoy reading about them or experiencing them vicariously through you. I'm not a big celebrity guy but I enjoy reading your experiences. Keep doing what you do.
  • Like 1

Man I remember hearing Corea's first "Elektrik Band" album...Weckl blew my head right off my shoulders. That was some shit I'd never heard before. I remember him bursting onto the scene and the drumming world was like, "Colaiuta who??" Dave was the man.

Weckl is an amazing genius who, like Cornelius, studied with Gruber to loosen up his playing...and there wasn't a damn thing wrong with his playing at all to begin with.

Some of my favorite Weckl playing is on Michel Càmilo albums...fantastic stuff.

• Like 1

Oh yes and Gadd. He was so nice too. God I love Yoshi's.

We discussed the "Aja" record. I called him "The Triplet King." He laughed.

Shit I am dork but every famous drummer I have met in my life has been so gracious, fun and down to earth. Well except Neil.

LOL!

Weckl thinks Neil is a great guy.

I get it. As long as you are in that elusive, sacred "Drummer Collective" Circle.

I prefer Promark over Vic Firth.

Oh well. I'm a hypocrite on a public forum. I have been using Weckl's sticks for ten years. Been used Promark 747's since the beginning.

I'm insane.

But I'm really not.

Oh i think i see a glaring ommision in this post????

Great story though earl!

I am very blessed and very lucky in this life. Music and drumming have been very good to me.

Women?

Well being with one for 21 years was a blessing too, but now going forward. Forget it.

Now here's a man with his head screwed on straight! You inspire me Earl!

• Like 1

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Life is short!!

FUKK IT!

People on this forum and people who I have met over the decades in my life think that I am on drugs and insane.

Hey!

Whoever reads this shit.

Don't worry about me.

Signed,

G N R

Don't worry Earl I've had the "he's on drugs" comments as well ha ha! :16ton:

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Life is short!!

FUKK IT!

Hey!

Whoever reads this shit.

Don't worry about me.

Signed,

G N R

Dude, I've known you for almost ten years. I remember reading some of that shit way back when Members on here ripped you too for being "insane" or "on drugs." I always had your back buddy. Those people who start the shit slinging and insults to others for how they type are the true sheep of humanity. We are Lions Pat. We eat sheep for breakfast.

Wild man!!!!!!!! Heard good things about Yoshi's wouldnt mind see a show there

"Positive Attitude Positive Results"

Hahaha! You need to come down for a show! Sadly I took a look at the calendar for the next three months and there is nothing exciting. If they add anything cool I will let you know!!! Yep! PA = PR! I'm trying buddy. Music is keeping me positive.

• Like 1

Women?

Now here's a man with his head screwed on straight! You inspire me Earl!

Wow! You are so nice!! Thank you for the wonderful compliment. Glad you get the real me. The Who? We drummers need to "stick" together! Sorry for the puns. They just flow out of my fingertips.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Life is short!!

FUKK IT!

Hey!

Whoever reads this shit.

Don't worry about me.

Signed,

G N R

Dude, I've known you for almost ten years. I remember reading some of that shit way back when Members on here ripped you too for being "insane" or "on drugs." I always had your back buddy. Those people who start the shit slinging and insults to others for how they type are the true sheep of humanity. We are Lions Pat. We eat sheep for breakfast.

Aye and we don't fear mad cow disease!

Another cool story Earl!

Hey, when are you going to meet Stewart Copeland? I read his bio in an exotic place, on a crazy situation: my wife and I were vacationing in the Galapagos Islands and were told about an approaching tsunami. we had to leave the hotel and find a place to stay in the upper part of one of the islands. We only had mats to sleep on, so I was quite uncomfortable and decided to stay awake - I only had Stewart´s book as a companion, so I went through it in one night!

Hey Rod! I wish I was going to meet him again but I already did! It was like 4 years ago! It was at a small theater. He was promoting his movie "Everybody Stares." We watched the film and then Stew came out and did a Q and A session with the small crowd. It was an incredible experience. I asked him about his "Klerk Kant" album. I told him that I have it on Japanese CD. He was very impressed because it's been out of print for a decade! I asked him if A&M would ever reissue it on cd. He had no clue. Yet another awesome, cool guy! That is a great book by the way!!

Man I remember hearing Corea's first "Elektrik Band" album...Weckl blew my head right off my shoulders. That was some shit I'd never heard before. I remember him bursting onto the scene and the drumming world was like, "Colaiuta who??" Dave was the man.

Weckl is an amazing genius who, like Cornelius, studied with Gruber to loosen up his playing...and there wasn't a damn thing wrong with his playing at all to begin with.

Some of my favorite Weckl playing is on Michel Càmilo albums...fantastic stuff.

Hey Red! Holy Cow! You know your Weckl! Yep!!! SAME!!! When I bought the first Eleckric Band album my brain when nuts!!!! He incorporated some Simmons pads into an acoustic drum kit. "Rumble" is a perfect example of pure complexity and hotness. "Got A Match?" LOL!!! Hope you catch my sense of humor with song titles. LOL! So another song that I already mentioned last night on here is "7th Ave South." That song simply blows my mind. I tried to play it today on the kit. No fukking way. I'm an idiot. I can play through "Hemispheres" with no problem yet I can't play to a Weckl album. Yep, I'm just like Neil. I can't play jazz. UGH! I am a Rush brainwashed junky. From 13 years old to present. 36 frigging years!