Holy Shiitake Mushrooms! I Met Dave Weckl Tonight! We Talked About "Burning For Buddy." Race Tracks, Divorce And Neil Peart's Playing Abilities!

RUSHHEAD666

Earl, I hope to meet you one day. You must be something else in person. :LOL: ;) :cheers: :cheers:

earl is much less reserved in person.

Oh my.

Did he keep all of you in stitches?

Yep, some call me Frankenstein. :)

I mean Frankenweenie.

I mean I'm "Like A Surgeon" stitched for the very first time.

Signed,

Weird Al I mean Earl

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

Weckl's great..love the stuff he did with Chick Corea's Elektrik (and Akoustic) bands! Watching one of his instructional videos years back when he was demonstrating his brush work STILL blows me away! Amazing drummer!

I think I've only met two great drummers...(the late) Roberto Petaccia (who was with Maynard Ferguson) and Billy Cobham. Both great guys to talk to, they give you all kinds of tips!

What??????? You met Billy Cobham????? You lucky bum!!!!!! "STRATUS!" "RED BARON!" "BIRDS OF FIRE!!" "INNER MOUNTING FLAME" OF LOVE!!!!

Billy blows my mind!!! Incredible. I could type drummers and drums all day. It's sad I could never find a real band but back when I was young I actually did the mature and right thing.

I had two beautiful baby girls with a young woman I really did love. I chose to run my dad's business instead of find rock and roll fame.

I have no regrets. In today's world my woman and I are done but my two incredible awesome amazing lovely daughters remain. I can't confirm that God truly does exist but still after all of the negativity I know that I am truly blesses.

Shit, where is this this post even going?

I need to lean to install a filter in my brain, but then again that wouldn't be any fun.

Listening to some Johnny Winter. Amazing stuff!

Yeah...he did a clinic in my area...what was funny was a few (old) friends of mine from my drum and bugle corps days were there also, and they KNEW him..so I was impressed with that! I'll have to put my autographed pic of him (The Modern Drummer cover) up some day....

Great guy! played like CRAZY! I'm an old Mahavishnu fan, so....

That's awesome man! Ok! You better get that picture of Cobham up on this thread soon!! Must see!!

Earl, I hope to meet you one day. You must be something else in person. :LOL: ;) :cheers: :cheers:

Oh my.

Yep. Full energy, all the time.

Remember that one bar we all went to? Earl not only started singing along with the jukebox, he actually stood up on the bar and enouraged everyone else to sing along with him! The guy is outrageous!

• Like 1

Oh my.

Yep. Full energy, all the time.

Remember that one bar we all went to? Earl not only started singing along with the jukebox, he actually stood up on the bar and enouraged everyone else to sing along with him! The guy is outrageous!

This doesn't surprise me one bit.

• Like 1

Well knock another drummer off my bucket list. Finally got to meet Dave Weckl at a meet and greet at Yoshi's in Oakland Ca. A gem of a joint with the best sushi in Northern California.

I've met a plethora of musicians there. Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, and Michael Schenker. All cool cats in my book. Weckl? Pure class and down to earth!

Of course I wore my black "RUSH" original logo t shirt.

We talked about all kinds of stuff. There were only 8 people there for the meet and greet so you know me. I blabbed on and on and on and Dave was totally awesome!!!

So the first thing I mentioned was the "Burning For Buddy" sessions. I asked him how it went and how was Neil with everyone?

He told me:

"Well it was Neil's project so he was really excited about it. He was always upbeat, telling jokes and stories with the other guys."

So I guess it's safe to say that when Neil is in his comfort zone, i.e. "The Drummer Collective" everything is just peachy.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

I then told him that I got into Neil's drumming at a very young age. I told him, "I can play to every Rush record all the way through, but when I try to play to your records I can't get it all."

Dave said, "Well Neil has a very different approach to the drum kit. His style of drumming very systematic where in the world a Jazz you need to develop more of a fluid style of play."

I told him that I wish I studied jazz instead of progressive rock. He just laughed.

So then we started talking about race tracks. I had no idea that Dave loves to get on a race track and floor it.

He told me that during the "Burning For Buddy" project many of the drummers hit the race track to have some fun.

Neil was one of those guys! He said Neil loved hitting the race track! Doesn't surprise me at all!

We talked about divorce too. But I won't type about that shit.

Music is my bride.

Drums are my manic mistress.

I know there was a long time inside joke about Dave Weckl on this Forum. It's a bit fuzzy but now that I met the man I am totally pumped!!!!

TOP FIVE DRUMMERS IN THE WORLD:

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

I'VE MET THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a drummer I AM BLESSED!!!!!

CIAO!!!

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Well knock another drummer off my bucket list. Finally got to meet Dave Weckl at a meet and greet at Yoshi's in Oakland Ca. A gem of a joint with the best sushi in Northern California.

I've met a plethora of musicians there. Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, and Michael Schenker. All cool cats in my book. Weckl? Pure class and down to earth!

We talked about all kinds of stuff. There were only 8 people there for the meet and greet so you know me. I blabbed on and on and on and Dave was totally awesome!!!

So the first thing I mentioned was the "Burning For Buddy" sessions. I asked him how it went and how was Neil with everyone?

He told me:

"Well it was Neil's project so he was really excited about it. He was always upbeat, telling jokes and stories with the other guys."

So I guess it's safe to say that when Neil is in his comfort zone, i.e. "The Drummer Collective" everything is just peachy.

I then told him that I got into Neil's drumming at a very young age. I told him, "I can play to every Rush record all the way through, but when I try to play to your records I can't get it all."

Dave said, "Well Neil has a very different approach to the drum kit. His style of drumming very systematic where in the world a Jazz you need to develop more of a fluid style of play."

I told him that I wish I studied jazz instead of progressive rock. He just laughed.

So then we started talking about race tracks. I had no idea that Dave loves to get on a race track and floor it.

He told me that during the "Burning For Buddy" project many of the drummers hit the race track to have some fun.

Neil was one of those guys! He said Neil loved hitting the race track! Doesn't surprise me at all!

Music is my bride.

I know there was a long time inside joke about Dave Weckl on this Forum. It's a bit fuzzy but now that I met the man I am totally pumped!!!!

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howdy stranger!!!!

I haven't seen you on here in a long time! Maybe it's me not noticing, but I hope you are doing well!!

• Like 1

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Howdy stranger!!!!

I haven't seen you on here in a long time! Maybe it's me not noticing, but I hope you are doing well!!

Thanks man - I was in a gravitational well elsewhere but back here now. That meeting w Weckl just had to be so awesome!!!!! Reading that it was like I met him. Totally cool man.

• Like 1

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Howdy stranger!!!!

Thanks man - I was in a gravitational well elsewhere but back here now. That meeting w Weckl just had to be so awesome!!!!! Reading that it was like I met him. Totally cool man.

Glad to know my English degree is at work on the Rush Forum!! That's the bottom line!!! Creative writing does not mean one should be labeled a drug addict or a drunk idiot!!!

Cheers my friend!!!

I missed you man!

• Like 1

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Howdy stranger!!!!

Glad to know my English degree is at work on the Rush Forum!! That's the bottom line!!! Creative writing does not mean one should be labeled a drug addict or a drunk idiot!!!

Cheers my friend!!!

I missed you man!

EARL it's time you listened to some new music!

I've had a bad night my good friend. I hate the way America is headed. The Superbowl is a fukking joke.

I wish I was born and raised in London.

I need to find some new music.

I have no interest in finding a new woman.

"SINGLE FOR LIFE HALF WAY TO DEATH!"

I'm 48 next week.

It makes sense man.

Cheers!

• Like 1

The Superbowl is a fukking joke.

lol

Spoken like a true Raider fan

BRONCOS ON 3

BRONCOS !!

Love ya Earl, just messin with you

Hahahaha! Hey Lucas, I mean Pukeus.

Yep!

I am PISSED OFF!

Might get a warning or a ban tonight!!

I can't believe how fixed the NFL is.

Goddamn Broncos have three rings now.

You tied my RAIDERS! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so angry just shoot me now.

Time to "Die With Your Boots On" bitch!

Watching John Elway raise the Vince Trophy almost made me wince and throw up meat and cheese and vodka everywhere!!

Watching Manning kiss Papa John made me want to stick my head in a cruise ship propeller.

Everything is so fixed. It's so obvious.

I hope my Raiders move to some shithole in Texas.

Move the fukking Raiders to the moon for all I care.

the NFL is beyond corrupt and fixed.

So obvious.

Oh shit. It's 1:39 am here California time.

There is someone knocking on the door.

I'm scared.

What do I do?????

It looks like the FBI.

F uck B roncos I nfinite!!

Nice to know you.

Have a most wonderful night.

The Superbowl is a fukking joke.

lol

Spoken like a true Raider fan

BRONCOS ON 3

BRONCOS !!

Love ya Earl, just messin with you

All good KISS fan.

I'm a PISS fan tonight.

Love you too.

I only write shit for "Shock Me" value.

Let the sheep who read my crap judge me for who I am.

All good man.

I know who my friends are on here.

Scam Fig Newton pisses me off.