Holy Shiitake Mushrooms! I Met Dave Weckl Tonight! We Talked About "Burning For Buddy." Race Tracks, Divorce And Neil Peart's Playing Abilities!

RUSHHEAD666

Lol at people who I have met...in my life think I am on drugs and insane. I'm not sure who here is "tired of your high energy posts," I assumed everyone enjoys them. I think you are doing things we are either unable or not interested in doing but enjoy reading about them or experiencing them vicariously through you. I'm not a big celebrity guy but I enjoy reading your experiences. Keep doing what you do.

Thanks Ways!!! Most of the bullshit was when I first joined but over the years most people on here have been very cool. The good truly do outweigh the ignorant. All good!! Again I know I have a lot of friends on here. My rough time is in the past and I thank everyone on here who was able to give me some good advice and some positive support. As for meeting celebs it's really not my thing. But meeting musicians who I have been heavily influenced by through my own passions of drumming and listening to music is a HELL YES!!!! Especially meeting drummers!! I never would have posted this thread if it was say someone like "Hey I met Brad Pitt!" Who cares! Right? Hey every human on the planet needs a passion or a drive or perhaps a "Mission?" Mine is drumming buddy. I Sold My Soul For Rock And Roll!!!!! Cheers!

Oh yes and Gadd. He was so nice too. God I love Yoshi's.

We discussed the "Aja" record. I called him "The Triplet King." He laughed.

Shit I am dork but every famous drummer I have met in my life has been so gracious, fun and down to earth. Well except Neil.

LOL!

Weckl thinks Neil is a great guy.

I get it. As long as you are in that elusive, sacred "Drummer Collective" Circle.

I prefer Promark over Vic Firth.

Oh well. I'm a hypocrite on a public forum. I have been using Weckl's sticks for ten years. Been used Promark 747's since the beginning.

I'm insane.

But I'm really not.

Oh i think i see a glaring ommision in this post????

Great story though earl!

Ok Tangy! You got me! What the heck did I omit? I'm intrigued!

Shit I am dork but every famous drummer I have met in my life has been so gracious, fun and down to earth. Well except Neil.

LOL!

I get it. As long as you are in that elusive, sacred "Drummer Collective" Circle.

Oh well. I'm a hypocrite on a public forum. I have been using Weckl's sticks for ten years. Been used Promark 747's since the beginning.

I'm insane.

But I'm really not.

Great story though earl!

Forgive me if i am wrong but if i recall correctly your experience with your favorite blue bearded famous drummer was less than gracious?

Either way bro way to get out there!

Now go skiing!

• Like 1

LOL!

I'm insane.

But I'm really not.

Great story though earl!

Forgive me if i am wrong but if i recall correctly your experience with your favorite blue bearded famous drummer was less than gracious?

Either way bro way to get out there!

Now go skiing!

HAHAHAHA!!!! You are correct!!! I forgot all about my meeting of Captain Bluequeered! A short fella with an EGO the size of Manhattan! Hahaha! Mike isn't even in my Top 20! Great call!! You got me! I wish I could go skiing!!!! I really need to get my ass up to Tahoe though!! Yeah it's all coming back. I met Dream Theater at The Stone right before the opening act went on. San Francisco 1993 I think.

Wild man!!!!!!!! Heard good things about Yoshi's wouldnt mind see a show there

"Positive Attitude Positive Results"

Hahaha! You need to come down for a show! Sadly I took a look at the calendar for the next three months and there is nothing exciting. If they add anything cool I will let you know!!! Yep! PA = PR! I'm trying buddy. Music is keeping me positive.

Are you still having your party next month, Earl? Robert & Robyn can come down for that!

• Like 1

Well knock another drummer off my bucket list. Finally got to meet Dave Weckl at a meet and greet at Yoshi's in Oakland Ca. A gem of a joint with the best sushi in Northern California.

I've met a plethora of musicians there. Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, and Michael Schenker. All cool cats in my book. Weckl? Pure class and down to earth!

Of course I wore my black "RUSH" original logo t shirt.

We talked about all kinds of stuff. There were only 8 people there for the meet and greet so you know me. I blabbed on and on and on and Dave was totally awesome!!!

So the first thing I mentioned was the "Burning For Buddy" sessions. I asked him how it went and how was Neil with everyone?

He told me:

"Well it was Neil's project so he was really excited about it. He was always upbeat, telling jokes and stories with the other guys."

So I guess it's safe to say that when Neil is in his comfort zone, i.e. "The Drummer Collective" everything is just peachy.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

I then told him that I got into Neil's drumming at a very young age. I told him, "I can play to every Rush record all the way through, but when I try to play to your records I can't get it all."

Dave said, "Well Neil has a very different approach to the drum kit. His style of drumming very systematic where in the world a Jazz you need to develop more of a fluid style of play."

I told him that I wish I studied jazz instead of progressive rock. He just laughed.

So then we started talking about race tracks. I had no idea that Dave loves to get on a race track and floor it.

He told me that during the "Burning For Buddy" project many of the drummers hit the race track to have some fun.

Neil was one of those guys! He said Neil loved hitting the race track! Doesn't surprise me at all!

We talked about divorce too. But I won't type about that shit.

Music is my bride.

Drums are my manic mistress.

I know there was a long time inside joke about Dave Weckl on this Forum. It's a bit fuzzy but now that I met the man I am totally pumped!!!!

TOP FIVE DRUMMERS IN THE WORLD:

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

I'VE MET THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a drummer I AM BLESSED!!!!!

CIAO!!!

Excellent! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you my METAL BROTHER!!!

Life is short!!

FUKK IT!

People on this forum and people who I have met over the decades in my life think that I am on drugs and insane.

It's been very tiring and lame but I have been taking it forever.

I've never done cocaine in my life.

I do drink beer. That's it.

Music and drumming are my true choice in DRUGS!!!

Hey!

Whoever reads this shit.

Don't worry about me.

Take a look into the "Wilderness Of Mirrors" and worry about yourself.

I snorted so much Dave Weckl tonight that I can't come down man.

Might fall into a permanent wave COMA.

Signed,

G N R

Don't worry Earl I've had the "he's on drugs" comments as well ha ha! :16ton:

Same here!

My favorite comment is from my ex-flatmates' cousin. Every time he'd come over to our place and see some odd decoration or hear some peculiar comment from either of us, he'd say, "You guys are on acid." That was in the late 90s. In those cases it was always said as a compliment. I use it the same way...and I've said this same comment hundreds of times on TRF.

So yeah, you guys are on acid. :blaze:

That's cool you could talk to Weckl about all sorts of stuff. I want to talk to Peart about movies, comic books, and travel...but I'd probably regret it and wish I talked to Lifeson instead. :LOL:

• Like 2

Hahaha! You need to come down for a show! Sadly I took a look at the calendar for the next three months and there is nothing exciting. If they add anything cool I will let you know!!! Yep! PA = PR! I'm trying buddy. Music is keeping me positive.

Are you still having your party next month, Earl? Robert & Robyn can come down for that!

My party is still on! March 5th! Allen if you can come down too you are invited!! Anyone on the Rush forum who lives in Northern California is invited!

• Like 2

My party is still on! March 5th! Allen if you can come down too you are invited!! Anyone on the Rush forum who lives in Northern California is invited!

¡Cinco de marzo!

http://economyjumpers.com/boy_with_pinata_hg_clr.gif

• Like 1

Well knock another drummer off my bucket list. Finally got to meet Dave Weckl at a meet and greet at Yoshi's in Oakland Ca. A gem of a joint with the best sushi in Northern California.

I've met a plethora of musicians there. Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, and Michael Schenker. All cool cats in my book. Weckl? Pure class and down to earth!

We talked about all kinds of stuff. There were only 8 people there for the meet and greet so you know me. I blabbed on and on and on and Dave was totally awesome!!!

So the first thing I mentioned was the "Burning For Buddy" sessions. I asked him how it went and how was Neil with everyone?

He told me:

"Well it was Neil's project so he was really excited about it. He was always upbeat, telling jokes and stories with the other guys."

So I guess it's safe to say that when Neil is in his comfort zone, i.e. "The Drummer Collective" everything is just peachy.

I then told him that I got into Neil's drumming at a very young age. I told him, "I can play to every Rush record all the way through, but when I try to play to your records I can't get it all."

Dave said, "Well Neil has a very different approach to the drum kit. His style of drumming very systematic where in the world a Jazz you need to develop more of a fluid style of play."

I told him that I wish I studied jazz instead of progressive rock. He just laughed.

So then we started talking about race tracks. I had no idea that Dave loves to get on a race track and floor it.

He told me that during the "Burning For Buddy" project many of the drummers hit the race track to have some fun.

Neil was one of those guys! He said Neil loved hitting the race track! Doesn't surprise me at all!

Music is my bride.

I know there was a long time inside joke about Dave Weckl on this Forum. It's a bit fuzzy but now that I met the man I am totally pumped!!!!

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Life is short!!

FUKK IT!

People on this forum and people who I have met over the decades in my life think that I am on drugs and insane.

Hey!

Whoever reads this shit.

Don't worry about me.

Signed,

G N R

Same here!

My favorite comment is from my ex-flatmates' cousin. Every time he'd come over to our place and see some odd decoration or hear some peculiar comment from either of us, he'd say, "You guys are on acid." That was in the late 90s. In those cases it was always said as a compliment. I use it the same way...and I've said this same comment hundreds of times on TRF.

That's cool you could talk to Weckl about all sorts of stuff. I want to talk to Peart about movies, comic books, and travel...but I'd probably regret it and wish I talked to Lifeson instead. :LOL:

Hahaha! Johnny! You are one cool cat. You see, I get you. I can tell the difference when someone is serious and being a dick or just clowning around with affection.

I wish you could fly out in early March and come to my party!!

I wish all of my Rush Forum Friends could come to the party! My house is too small for everyone! LOL!!!

So enough fantasy. Yes Blaze you are my friend. I love your sense of humor and your great taste in acid. I mean movies and shit.

YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Weckl was so nice and so cool. Simon Phillips was too! I saw him at Yoshi's with my dad many months ago! I talked with Simon for about ten minutes. I'm sure I threaded about it. I was doing some air drumming to a few of his songs. When he came out to sign cds he came up to me and said, "Hey did you enjoy the show?" I said, "heck yes Simon! I was incredible!" He said, "I know you liked it, I saw you air drumming to a few of my tunes."

Priceless!!!

Yoshi's RULES!!! That Simon Phillips Protocol III show was only one out of two on the tour. It was like a practice tour. So the Dave Weckl Acoustic Band Tour only had 8 dates.

I am blessed boyz and gurls.

Long live intellectual modern jazz!!!!!!!

• Like 3

¡Cinco de marzo!

http://economyjumpers.com/boy_with_pinata_hg_clr.gif

Hahaha! Oh shit! I didn't even think about that!!!! Well funny thing buddy! I'm catering The Mecca. Some of the greatest Mexican food in the Bay Area!!!! SWEET!!

Marzo sounds better than Mayo! I hate mayo. LOL

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Guess what???????????? March 6 is B-DAY !!!!!!

Wait a minute! Really Rob???? Dude!!! Things happen for a reason! Zoe's birthday is March 6th!!!!! My oldest daughter! She will be home with me for Spring Break!!!! You will met her! My youngest daughter will be in Portland on a soccer tournament. All good!! Hope you come!

• Like 1

Wait a minute! Really Rob???? Dude!!! Things happen for a reason! Zoe's birthday is March 6th!!!!! My oldest daughter! She will be home with me for Spring Break!!!! You will met her! My youngest daughter will be in Portland on a soccer tournament. All good!! Hope you come!

Mine is March 5.

Gina r u going?? me and rockin Robyn will be there!!

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Life is short!!

FUKK IT!

Hey!

Whoever reads this shit.

Don't worry about me.

Signed,

G N R

Same here!

Hahaha! Johnny! You are one cool cat. You see, I get you. I can tell the difference when someone is serious and being a dick or just clowning around with affection.

I wish all of my Rush Forum Friends could come to the party! My house is too small for everyone! LOL!!!

So enough fantasy. Yes Blaze you are my friend. I love your sense of humor and your great taste in acid. I mean movies and shit.

YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Weckl was so nice and so cool. Simon Phillips was too! I saw him at Yoshi's with my dad many months ago! I talked with Simon for about ten minutes. I'm sure I threaded about it. I was doing some air drumming to a few of his songs. When he came out to sign cds he came up to me and said, "Hey did you enjoy the show?" I said, "heck yes Simon! I was incredible!" He said, "I know you liked it, I saw you air drumming to a few of my tunes."

Priceless!!!

Yoshi's RULES!!! That Simon Phillips Protocol III show was only one out of two on the tour. It was like a practice tour. So the Dave Weckl Acoustic Band Tour only had 8 dates.

:cheers:

Yeah, a party of yours sounds like a blast. Actually, I'll be hitting the mainland for my dad's birthday almost exactly a month after your bash. Wrong coast though. It'll be my first time there in over 3 years.

When your party is going down, I'll point a beer to the west and offer a toast telepathically. :blaze:

• Like 2

Mine is March 5.

No way Pat! I should know your birthday but this is CRAZY!!!! I wish you could fly over the pond and come to my house party on your birthday!!! WOW!!!

So it's Rob and Pat's BD on the 5th and my daughter's 19th BD on the 6th! This party was going to be for a NEW BEGINNING but forget it! This party isn't about me. It's about having a great time with a bunch of friends!!!!

If I was a multimillionaire I would fly all of my friends out here who are around the world. Serious.

• Like 2

Mine is March 5.

No way Pat! I should know your birthday but this is CRAZY!!!! I wish you could fly over the pond and come to my house party on your birthday!!! WOW!!!

So it's Rob and Pat's BD on the 5th and my daughter's 19th BD on the 6th! This party was going to be for a NEW BEGINNING but forget it! This party isn't about me. It's about having a great time with a bunch of friends!!!!

If I was a multimillionaire I would fly all of my friends out here who are around the world. Serious.

Sounds good Earl! :cheers: :ebert:

• Like 1

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Life is short!!

FUKK IT!

Hey!

Whoever reads this shit.

Don't worry about me.

Signed,

G N R

Same here!

YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Priceless!!!

Yeah, a party of yours sounds like a blast. Actually, I'll be hitting the mainland for my dad's birthday almost exactly a month after your bash. Wrong coast though. It'll be my first time there in over 3 years.

When your party is going down, I'll point a beer to the west and offer a toast telepathically. :blaze:

Hahahaha! That's a deal buddy! We will hook up a live video feed of the party and hack into Jim's server and put it up for all to see!! LOL!

I'm just kidding! I don't know shit about computers. I don't even have an avatar. Every time I try to add a picture it won't let me.

Anyway Happy Birthday to your dad a few months in advance. My father was born on April 3rd. So is your dad an Aries too?

Hey back to Simon Phillips. I also have all of that Hiromi albums with Simon and Anthony Jackson on them. Damn they smoke on those records and Hiromi is smoking HOT!!

Do you have her phone number?

HAHAHAHA!!!

I need some acid.

"The Acid Queen"

Signed,

Tina Turner

Mine is March 5.

Awesome Pat! We were destined to be friends even though we have never met.

My goodness. Almost 10 years for me! That's nuts. A lot has happening during that "span of geological time."

I'm the LOON.

Signed,

"Time And Motion"

LOL!

• Like 1

Mine is March 5.

My goodness. Almost 10 years for me! That's nuts. A lot has happening during that "span of geological time."

I'm the LOON.

Signed,

"Time And Motion"

LOL!

I shouldn't bring her up but what has Wendy been up to lately? Did you ever notice anyone around her who was influencing her behaviour?

Mine is March 5.

I'm the LOON.

Signed,

"Time And Motion"

LOL!

I shouldn't bring her up but what has Wendy been up to lately? Did you ever notice anyone around her who was influencing her behaviour?

It's cool Pat. Luckily I have no clue about her or what she is doing. I haven't seen my second daughter or my pug in two weeks. It sucks but I am getting along just fine.

Oh yeah Pat, all of her little lame clique have been in her ear over the past two years.

I'm smart. I don't belong to any social media like "Disgracebook" or "Squatter." I'm only on here man.

She is the AC/DC album you enjoy, "Flick Of The Switch!" LOL!! She did a complete 180. Yet in her mind it was 100% my fault.

Glad to be alone.

Hopefully "FOREVER." I don't need a woman.

Signed,

Y&T

• Like 1

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Life is short!!

FUKK IT!

Hey!

Whoever reads this shit.

Don't worry about me.

Signed,

G N R

Same here!

YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Priceless!!!

Hahahaha! That's a deal buddy! We will hook up a live video feed of the party and hack into Jim's server and put it up for all to see!! LOL!

I'm just kidding! I don't know shit about computers. I don't even have an avatar. Every time I try to add a picture it won't let me.

Anyway Happy Birthday to your dad a few months in advance. My father was born on April 3rd. So is your dad an Aries too?

What a coincidence!

My dad was born on April 3rd too!

• Like 1

He told me:

Music is my bride.

1. NEIL PEART

2. SIMON PHILLIPS

3. DAVE WECKL

4. STEWART COPELAND

5. STEVE GADD

CIAO!!!

Life is short!!

FUKK IT!

Hey!

Whoever reads this shit.

Don't worry about me.

Signed,

G N R

Same here!

YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Priceless!!!

What a coincidence!

Holy Shit Johnny! This like winning the lottery without getting a fuckking check!

INCREDIBLE!!

Writing and numbers are my entire life as you can probably tell! LOL!

I can't believe it.

I love where this thread has gone.

I seriously hope we meet someday.

• Like 2

Gina r u going?? me and rockin Robyn will be there!!

I am going! And I'm going to try to bring a couple friends (Earl met them at a bar some weeks back). See you there!

• Like 2

What a coincidence!

Drat, I'm two days late. My bday is April 5th.