Black Sabbath - Let's talk about the Tony Martin-Cozy Powell era

treeduck

There's some really good stuff with Martin. Cross Purposes is my favorite. Headless Cross is really good as well. I like that Sabbath brought back Satan on that one.

I wonder if calling the Martin fronted albums Black Sabbath hurt them more than it helped. I think they would have been better received if they were released as Iommi solo albums.

• Like 1

There's some really good stuff with Martin. Cross Purposes is my favorite. Headless Cross is really good as well. I like that Sabbath brought back Satan on that one.

I wonder if calling the Martin fronted albums Black Sabbath hurt them more than it helped. I think they would have been better received if they were released as Iommi solo albums.

Possibly.

The line-ups on these albums are great Tyr has Iommi, Powell, Neil Murray and Martin. And Brian May appears as guest on Headless Cross.

I'm gonna get these albums and return to this thread with a vengeance!

:blaze: :madra: :madra: :blaze: :NP: << Cozy :madra: :madra: :blaze: :guitar: <<< Iommi :madra: :madra: :blaze: :blah: <<<Martin :madra: :madra: :blaze:

You got that fat wallet ?

I'm gonna get these albums and return to this thread with a vengeance!

:blaze: :madra: :madra: :blaze: :NP: << Cozy :madra: :madra: :blaze: :guitar: <<< Iommi :madra: :madra: :blaze: :blah: <<<Martin :madra: :madra: :blaze:

You got that fat wallet ?

It'll cost me about £60 just for these three from some devious amazon swindlers! :eh: :eyeroll: :fury:

It's odd that you're old enough to have gotten these albums when they came out but never did, duck.

When I got into Sabbath in the early 90s I was able to find those albums easily at the local record stores. Strangely enough The Eternal Idol was the Martin era album I had the most trouble finding.

I didn't even realize until about six or seven years ago that I owned some really hard to find stuff by having those albums.

It's odd that you're old enough to have gotten these albums when they came out but never did, duck.

When I got into Sabbath in the early 90s I was able to find those albums easily at the local record stores. Strangely enough The Eternal Idol was the Martin era album I had the most trouble finding.

I didn't even realize until about six or seven years ago that I owned some really hard to find stuff by having those albums.

Yeah I don't know what I was doing in the late 80's/early 90's but I was evidently on a Sabbath hiatus. After getting The Seventh Star on vinyl I must have silently decided to shelve Iommi and co for a while. I think it was Ozzy's fault.

The Tony Martin era stuff is so bland to me. He's a good singer, there's just nothing special about him.

Iommi should not have let record labels convince him to use the Sabbath name for those albums. They would have been better received.

yeah, he sounds like some "generic rock singer" character from a movie. I haven't listened to these albums in years and it would've been on youtube but I don't remember anything standing out. I'll take born again and everything released before it before I listen to this era of sabbath

• Like 1

Not on topic but....

What is the album with tony iommi and a bunch of different guest singers?

I have this somewhere .....

That was his solo album called Iommi.

Thanks , that was simple. I gotta find my hard copy . Not sure why i never imported it...

It was pretty good as i recall

Not on topic but....

What is the album with tony iommi and a bunch of different guest singers?

I have this somewhere .....

It's just called Iommi... came out in '01, I think?

I consider this era of Sab to be a slightly more modern continuation of the Dio Era. Theatrical singer, technically great, but with Iommi's soul pouring out of his guitar.

DO NOT compare it with Oz era Sabbath, there is no similarity. When I want late '80's classic metal, this is where I go. Or Maiden. Great stuff. Eternal Idol is awesome. Wife really loves it. She ordered it, Headless, TYR, and Dehumanizer for a gift for me several years back. She knows me well. Thanks. I still need to get Cross Purposes (used to have it on casette) and Forbidden.

Martin was a long standing member and was around probably longer than Ozzy's original stint.He had his place and era, it just got ran over by everything else that was going on in metal at the time. Too bad.

Do I dare mention Seventh Star here? Good stuff with Glenn Hughes. Heart Like A Wheel.

• Like 1

If the song Virtual Death was recorded with Ozzy, it would get endless praise from the fans.

I bet.

I really love Ozzy, but what you said is probably true.