Black Sabbath - Let's talk about the Tony Martin-Cozy Powell era

treeduck

Good luck finding them. I wonder if there's a bunch of copies of these albums sitting around in some storage space somewhere of if the record company just burned everything to the ground when they went under?

They are all available on Ebay, i recently purchased them.

How much each were they?

they are about 30 to 40 $ canadian, a bit pricey but well worth it.

It's metal you cannot be satisfied without!

I have been on a huge Sabbath binge since reading Doom Let Loose by Martin Popoff.

Tried to get into the Tony Martin era, but IMO the songs are so sterile and ''80's''. He seems like a great guy and from the live clips on Youtube could deliver the goods live.

I love Born Again (and even Seventh Star....love Glenn Hughes singing). Dio stuff is good too, but the songs sound more Dio than Sabbath.

But (puts on flame suit) there's a certain magic to the first six Sabbath albums that they were never able to recapture in the future. The first 6 albums are perfect.

• Like 2

I have been on a huge Sabbath binge since reading Doom Let Loose by Martin Popoff.

Tried to get into the Tony Martin era, but IMO the songs are so sterile and ''80's''. He seems like a great guy and from the live clips on Youtube could deliver the goods live.

I love Born Again (and even Seventh Star....love Glenn Hughes singing). Dio stuff is good too, but the songs sound more Dio than Sabbath.

But (puts on flame suit) there's a certain magic to the first six Sabbath albums that they were never able to recapture in the future. The first 6 albums are perfect.

No, I get it. Hard to beat an original. Just don't tell my wife. She prefers Eternal Idol or Dio-era stuff. ;)

This. Very much this.

I still like the Dio era. Glad they later on became Heaven and Hell, I prefer to separate the two. Haven't gotten into the Tony Martin stuff. Maybe one day...

Dude! Where have you been man? I like your style!!!

Your screen name is a Black Sabbath album title! LOL!

I am a Black Sabbath Whore!!!!!!!!

I have it all and I love it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

I also love "Dirty Women." Thank God I mean Lucifer I can't find one.

I didn't see Sabbath on this tour but I saw them last time around and "Dirty Women" was my apex of the night!

LONG LIVE METAL!

LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL!

LONG LIVE RONNIE JAMES DIO!!!!!!!!

"THE TEMPLE OF THE KING!"

As a drummer I was always very cozy to Cozy Powell baby!!

That motorcycle accident really pissed me off.

If you have his solo albums you can see him on a motorcycle jumping high up in the air.

Nothing touches "Octopus" though for my ears.

Cozy played with Brian May too. Love it all.

I am the biggest music whore on the planet.

I have an open sore on the top of my head.

It just waits and waits and waits for more music. Audio sex and lust. A new David Cronenberg film coming to theaters in Canada soon.

I have "Shivers" just thinking about this.

If don't get my post then shame on you.

I am not insane or on drugs.

Hopefully some of you intellects will get it.

Later.

Signed,

"DEADRINGERS"

• Like 1

As a drummer I was always very cozy to Cozy Powell baby!!

That motorcycle accident really pissed me off.

If you have his solo albums you can see him on a motorcycle jumping high up in the air.

Nothing touches "Octopus" though for my ears.

Cozy played with Brian May too. Love it all.

I am the biggest music whore on the planet.

I have an open sore on the top of my head.

It just waits and waits and waits for more music. Audio sex and lust. A new David Cronenberg film coming to theaters in Canada soon.

I have "Shivers" just thinking about this.

If don't get my post then shame on you.

I am not insane or on drugs.

Hopefully some of you intellects will get it.

Later.

Signed,

"DEADRINGERS"

COZY was a menace to other drummer's jobs!! :NP:

Are they really Black Sabbath albums or, in actuality, Tony Iommi solo albums?

The albums with Dio, are Sabbath albums, the others Iommi solo albums!

I'd say Born Again is a Sabbath album, although I don't love it. Seventh Star and the Martin albums are Iommi solo efforts.

It's a moot point because Iommi IS Sabbath.

Copy pasta update i saw today

The Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath has always existed in the colossal shadows of the Ozzy Osbourne and Ronnie James Dio fronted portion of the catalog, but guitarist Tony Iommi has plans surrounding the five albums Sabbath recorded with the singer. Reissues for both Headless Cross and Tyr are in the works and the riff lord revealed he'd like to work on some new material with his former frontmen to celebrate.

"We've held back on the reissues of those albums because of the current Sabbath thing with [Ozzy Osbourne], but they will certainly be happening," Iommi told The Music. Of course, the guitarist is referring to the Black Sabbath farewell tour that is currently underway. Typically, reissues include new content, be it previously unreleased live recordings, demo versions of songs, alternate mixes, etc., but Iommi has something even better in mind. "I'd like to do a couple of new tracks for those releases with Tony Martin," he said before setting his sights on projects further down the pipeline, adding, "I'll also be looking at working on Cross Purposes and Forbidden."

Iommi and Martin both recently attended the unveiling of a memorial plaque dedicated to late drum legend Cozy Powell - who played on Headless Cross, Tyr and Forbidden - in the U.K. The two reconnected after more than a decade of not speaking to each other, leading Martin to post a message on his Facebook page stating, "Well what a great day... I attended the unveiling of Cozy Powell's memorial plaque in his hometown of Cirencester, along with Brian May, Neil Murray, and Tony Iommi ... And to my surprise was greeted by Tony Iommi VERY warmly. It's the first conversation of any length I have had with him in 15 years!!!! ..... and it turns out we may well be working together soon!!!"

See Where Tony Iommi Ranks Among the Top 50 Hard Rock + Metal Guitarists of All Time

10 Best Tony Iommi Riffs

Subscribe to Loudwire on

Tony Iommi Presented With 'Lifetime Achievement Award' From National Guitar Museum

• Like 1

I'm sure you can get most of the albums um Google Play...that's where I've been purchasing music recently. I'm giving up on phisical copies for good, and am slowly giving away all my CDs, except for a few selected special editions, and the ones that are autographed.
  • Like 1

The Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath has always existed in the colossal shadows of the Ozzy Osbourne and Ronnie James Dio fronted portion of the catalog, but guitarist Tony Iommi has plans surrounding the five albums Sabbath recorded with the singer. Reissues for both Headless Cross and Tyr are in the works and the riff lord revealed he'd like to work on some new material with his former frontmen to celebrate.

"We've held back on the reissues of those albums because of the current Sabbath thing with [Ozzy Osbourne], but they will certainly be happening," Iommi told The Music. Of course, the guitarist is referring to the Black Sabbath farewell tour that is currently underway. Typically, reissues include new content, be it previously unreleased live recordings, demo versions of songs, alternate mixes, etc., but Iommi has something even better in mind. "I'd like to do a couple of new tracks for those releases with Tony Martin," he said before setting his sights on projects further down the pipeline, adding, "I'll also be looking at working on Cross Purposes and Forbidden."

Iommi and Martin both recently attended the unveiling of a memorial plaque dedicated to late drum legend Cozy Powell - who played on Headless Cross, Tyr and Forbidden - in the U.K. The two reconnected after more than a decade of not speaking to each other, leading Martin to post a message on his Facebook page stating, "Well what a great day... I attended the unveiling of Cozy Powell's memorial plaque in his hometown of Cirencester, along with Brian May, Neil Murray, and Tony Iommi ... And to my surprise was greeted by Tony Iommi VERY warmly. It's the first conversation of any length I have had with him in 15 years!!!! ..... and it turns out we may well be working together soon!!!"

See Where Tony Iommi Ranks Among the Top 50 Hard Rock + Metal Guitarists of All Time

10 Best Tony Iommi Riffs

Subscribe to Loudwire on

Tony Iommi Presented With 'Lifetime Achievement Award' From National Guitar Museum

A few years ago Martin was set to tour the U.S. with a band he was calling either Cross Purposes or Headless Cross. He was going to play the Martin era "Sabbath" stuff, together with some of his own work. The tour never happened because no one here cares, to be honest. I think rereleasing this stuff would be a financial misstep. It won't sell.

I bought the Seventh Star and Eternal Idol Deluxe editions. The former for the live set, the latter for the Ray Gillen tracks. I've listened to each once.

10 Best Tony Iommi Riffs

Subscribe to Loudwire on

A few years ago Martin was set to tour the U.S. with a band he was calling either Cross Purposes or Headless Cross. He was going to play the Martin era "Sabbath" stuff, together with some of his own work. The tour never happened because no one here cares, to be honest. I think rereleasing this stuff would be a financial misstep. It won't sell.

I bought the Seventh Star and Eternal Idol Deluxe editions. The former for the live set, the latter for the Ray Gillen tracks. I've listened to each once.

The thing is these days most CD releases are a financial misstep. Iommi will do this because he wants to do it not just to make a financial killing.

10 Best Tony Iommi Riffs

Subscribe to Loudwire on

The thing is these days most CD releases are a financial misstep. Iommi will do this because he wants to do it not just to make a financial killing.

Iommi wouldn't make a financial killing by doing this. But I think there's enough people interested in this that it wouldn't be a complete financial loss for him. It's not like he's trying to tour behind these albums anymore. That's where the real financial loss came into play back when these albums were released.

10 Best Tony Iommi Riffs

Subscribe to Loudwire on

Iommi wouldn't make a financial killing by doing this. But I think there's enough people interested in this that it wouldn't be a complete financial loss for him. It's not like he's trying to tour behind these albums anymore. That's where the real financial loss came into play back when these albums were released.

What's your full and detailed assessment of each of the Martin-era albums?