Caress of Steel

prolix

Tonight I will pour a glass of the pure, put on Fountain, and take in the sounds of that era. Great music, great sounds, and some great playing.
  • Like 1

Caress Of Steel is not just a fantastic album, but it is an exciting document from a band that was literally growing right before our eyes ( ears ? )

The progress the band was making at this time was amazing - and that is so much more exciting than simply having a bunch of seasoned musicians get together to record music

Rush was finding their way, and the fans were along for the ride

• Like 3

Caress Of Steel is not just a fantastic album, but it is an exciting document from a band that was literally growing right before our eyes ( ears ? )

The progress the band was making at this time was amazing - and that is so much more exciting than simply having a bunch of seasoned musicians get together to record music

Lucas, what album do you think Rush finally came into their own?

• Like 1

That's tough, as I really love everything from the beginning ..

But when I think of "Rush", I think of A Farewell To Kings, and how they realized all that potential

The best way I can say it is that A Farewell To Kings was the album they really hit on that cinematic element - we saw hints in The Necromancer and 2112 - but Rush became RUSH in 1977 ......

Cygnus X1 and Xanadu are masterpieces

• Like 4

But when I think of "Rush", I think of A Farewell To Kings, and how they realized all that potential

The best way I can say it is that A Farewell To Kings was the album they really hit on that cinematic element - we saw hints in The Necromancer and 2112 - but Rush became RUSH in 1977 ......

See, here's how subjective music is. The Kings album is one of their weakest for me. Only Xanadu and Closer to the Heart really stand out for me. Cygnus is strong at the outset, but thematically is pretty dumb. It also suffers from Geddy stretching his voice to ridiculous highs. The remaining tracks, title track included, are completely skippable, even laughable. Yes and Tull are better at what they were trying to pull off on Kings, I think.

Hemispheres, side 2, is a return to greatness.

See, here's how subjective music is. The Kings album is one of their weakest for me. Only Xanadu and Closer to the Heart really stand out for me. Cygnus is strong at the outset, but thematically is pretty dumb. It also suffers from Geddy stretching his voice to ridiculous highs. The remaining tracks, title track included, are completely skippable, even laughable. Yes and Tull are better at what they were trying to pull off on Kings, I think.

Hemispheres, side 2, is a return to greatness.

There is so much that I love about Rush, esp early on .. But Geddy's ridiculous highs are my favorite part

:)

• Like 1

CoS is pure gold to me but then again I'm a REAL Rush fan ;)

One thing just occured to me though, I don't believe I've ever heard an explanation of where the title 'Caress of Steel' came from and what it means..?

What, besides being an oft-used phrase that brings up the provocative image of a cutting sword, it also refers to the strumming of guitar strings. So you get a title that contrasts the heavy metal power chords and the gentle arpeggios that appear on the album.

One reason I love the album...the tone and contrast of the guitar parts.

I couldn't have asked for a better response,well said.

I agree on his playing, very emotive and heartfelt on this album also!

Give me back my wonder.. It amazes me how young they were when they recorded Caress of Steel. I love this album like my leather jacket from college I still wear sometimes. It's cheesy and seems dated but fits perfect.
  • Like 1

Give me back my wonder.. It amazes me how young they were when they recorded Caress of Steel. I love this album like my leather jacket from college I still wear sometimes. It's cheesy and seems dated but fits perfect.

I like cheese on my hamburger. But yes, to my ears this album is PERFECT.

Fukk the Haters and Fukk Mercury Records.

Every note is perfect.

People on here who call themselves Rush fans love to rip "I Think I'm Going Bald." Typical. Broken Record Alert!!! They wrote it for homage to "Goin' Blind" by KISS.

It's a fun song with a killer riff and an amazing guitar solo.

I just don't get the average Rush fan.

What a bore.

CARESS OF STEEL!!!!

Perhaps you pussies would rather listen to "FEEL THE STEEL" by STEEL PANTHER!!

You can hate me it's ok.

"DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!"

• Like 4

I like cheese on my hamburger. But yes, to my ears this album is PERFECT.

Fukk the Haters and Fukk Mercury Records.

Every note is perfect.

People on here who call themselves Rush fans love to rip "I Think I'm Going Bald." Typical. Broken Record Alert!!! They wrote it for homage to "Goin' Blind" by KISS.

It's a fun song with a killer riff and an amazing guitar solo.

I just don't get the average Rush fan.

What a bore.

CARESS OF STEEL!!!!

Perhaps you pussies would rather listen to "FEEL THE STEEL" by STEEL PANTHER!!

You can hate me it's ok.

"DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!"

http://guitarinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Steel-Panther-Feel-the-Steel.jpg

Doesn't seem real despite knowing it is.

"Scream out desperation

But no one cares to hear"

• Like 2

People on here who call themselves Rush fans love to rip "I Think I'm Going Bald." Typical. Broken Record Alert!!!

People on here who call themselves Rush fans love to rip everything Rush made after 1982. Typical. Broken Record Alert!!!

(Not necessarily talking about you, just the forum in general.)

I think CoS is an album full of potential but it feels a little rushed (sorry for the bad pun). I think had they been able to invest the time into it that they did in 2112, then yes, CoS would have stood much better in the eyes of the public.

There also might have been a little confusion for the casual fan who thought of Working Man or Fly by Night when they thought of Rush; hearing The Fountain of Lamneth, for all intents and purposes one single piece, broken into individial tracks, and then placed on side two, may have seemed odd. Had they called the album The Fountain of Lamneth and placed it on side one, I think folks would've understood where the focus lay.

Also the narration in The Necromancer was probably a little too odd.

The band also still bore a lot of their influences on their sound - Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs in The Necromancer.

These were all lessons learned and executed better on 2112. CoS was a dry run for 2112.

But I don't hate it. It is a weaker album compared to what came before and after, but it has a charm due to the spirit and excitement. You can tell Rush was on to something.

• Like 2

I love COS... the only weak part for me is I think I'm going Bald... a bit too "basic rock n' roll" compared to the rest of it, which is really they're first shot at prog rock.
  • Like 1

I love I think I'm going bald, the lyrics arent good, but the guitar solo is one of my favorites off the album

The guitar work on it is great, yes! And I say 'so what', about the lyrics- they were just kids, having a bit of a laugh.

• Like 3

I love I think I'm going bald, the lyrics arent good, but the guitar solo is one of my favorites off the album

The guitar work on it is great, yes! And I say 'so what', about the lyrics- they were just kids, having a bit of a laugh.

I actually like how cheeky the lyrics are. The twenty-year-old boys I hang around with are constantly teasing each other about their alleged hair loss.

• Like 3

I actually like how cheeky the lyrics are. The twenty-year-old boys I hang around with are constantly teasing each other about their alleged hair loss.

Haha...I do, too!

• Like 3

Always has been, always WILL be one of my favorite albums! it's actually the first studio album of theirs I've ever owned!

Granted...I Think I'm Going Bald is a red headed step child sort of tune, but the rest is just amazing!

Sonically, I think it's off the charts....The mix is pristine!

• Like 1

A lot better than some of the humorless and sophomoric pedantry of albums that followed, I think.