Favorite Synth Era Album??

prolix

p/g

SIG was my first new Rush album. After falling in love with MP and ESL the year before. It's a great record - and i got it on release day.

But p/g resonates with me more.. even today.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

I find the synth in GUP slightly jarring opposed to PoW and everything afterwards.

I'd agree--It feel like the synths were mixed too loud and it was competing with the guitar. I still love it lyrically and melodically though.

I find the synth in GUP slightly jarring opposed to PoW and everything afterwards.

I'd agree--It feel like the synths were mixed too loud and it was competing with the guitar. I still love it lyrically and melodically though.

Yes, that is probably a better way of explaining it.

• Like 1

How many of you consider Signals a synth era album?

I don't, personally.

I do. For me it's the album that marked a huge shift toward prominent keyboards in many of the album's songs, as well as keyboard-like guitar parts.
  • Like 3

Signals was a rubbish Broon album and a shaky start in a new direction.

I don't care how much you love it, it means nothing to me compared to the albums that frame it.

I don't care how much you love it, it means nothing to me compared to the albums that frame it.

I've typed this on here before and I will do it again. I'm a "Broken Record Man."

So I also believe that "Signals" was a transitional record. I think it's it's a hybrid record of heavy rock and synth. I mean let's face it. Lot's of synth on "Vital Signs." You could see the radical writing on the wicked wall.

As a young lad in 1982 who got into Rush in 1980 and instantly became obsessed with the early catalog, I remember counting down the days to buy "Signals" on cassette. Even then as a drummer obsessed with playing to Rush music I couldn't wait for this record!

Well it finally came out. I remember my mom was nice enough to drive me to Rainbow Records. I snagged the cassette and went home.

I put "Signals" on my Pioneer stereo. I remember this shit like it was yesterday.

I listened to the first side and my jaw dropped.

I almost had tears in my eyes.

I said to myself, "Where the fuckk is the guitar?" "Why are Neil's drum parts so basic?" WTF????????

I listened to the second side and was totally devastated.

I fukking hated the record.

Key"bored" crap. Bland, generic RUSH!

I think I did tear up a bit in anger.

I wanted to smash that cassette into a billion pieces.

I didn't.

It took me a very long time to fall in love with "Signals." "Signals" is like a woman I would love to be with for the rest of my life. In the beginning it seems bleak but over time true love is reborn.

The funny thing is I remember buying "Grace Under Pressure" on cassette.

I bought it at Record Factory. I raced home on my bike like Lance Armstrong to hear it.

When I put this album on I instantly fell in love with it. One listen. "One Love."

I'm a Rush Whore seeking LOVE.

I have it baby.

RUSH IS MY TRUE LOVE!!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Hey Myles!

I went out last night in Walnut Creek to party. I went to my favorite bar called Dan's. They had a awesome Fleetwood Mac cover band. They are called Fleetwood Mask! Mick Fleetwood actually endorses this band. The woman in this band looks just like Stevie Nicks. They are incredible! The Christie clone was totally cool. She sang "Little Lies" and it was great.

Anyway, back to Rush...........

• Like 1

Hey Myles!

I went out last night in Walnut Creek to party. I went to my favorite bar called Dan's. They had a awesome Fleetwood Mac cover band. They are called Fleetwood Mask! Mick Fleetwood actually endorses this band. The woman in this band looks just like Stevie Nicks. They are incredible! The Christie clone was totally cool. She sang "Little Lies" and it was great.

Ooh I love FM! Aww wish I had been there.

Still don't get the love for Signals.

I just don't seem to ever fit in around this forum anymore...

Oh well!

• Like 1

Hey Myles!

Ooh I love FM! Aww wish I had been there.

Still don't get the love for Signals.

I just don't seem to ever fit in around this forum anymore...

Oh well!

Hey buddy! Don't sweat it because I hated "Signals" when it first came out!!!

The more I think about the more synth I think that record is. Synthesizers? Or is it SYNTHETIC? Is there any guitar on "Countdown?"

Just kidding.

• Like 1

"like the breath of a sleeping white drag queen."

You watch me sleep? Lolololol

• Like 2

Considering most people who have replied so far seem to agree with you, Myles, I think you're fitting in just fine. :)

Really? But everyone seems to love Signals!

Btw, HYF is the only album post MP I deem flawless, but GUP has higher highs for me, and sadly a major low.

HYF wins...but for the most part I love GUP more.

It is somewhat unfair to think of the transition simply as "synth era" , as the entire band was changing - and while I suppose the change ( neutering ) in Alex's sound / role went hand in hand with the more synth dominated songs, the content and Neil's lyrics were changing just as much as anything ..

This gave the band a very different vibe and direction ..

Xanadu has a lot of synth and taurus pedals, yet it is nothing like the "synth era"

I understand the term it is used to bookend a certain group of albums ( this, too, is up for debate ), but I hesitate to find fault with the simple fact that synths were more prominent

I'll go as far as saying they lost me not because of the synths, but because they sold out

Three guys who felt like heroes, friends, companions suddenly became strangers

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

It is somewhat unfair to think of the transition simply as "synth era" , as the entire band was changing - and while I suppose the change ( neutering ) in Alex's sound / role went hand in hand with the more synth dominated songs, the content and Neil's lyrics were changing just as much as anything ..

This gave the band a very different vibe and direction ..

Xanadu has a lot of synth and taurus pedals, yet it is nothing like the "synth era"

I understand the term it is used to bookend a certain group of albums ( this, too, is up for debate ), but I hesitate to find fault with the simple fact that synths were more prominent

I'll go as far as saying they lost me not because of the synths, but because they sold out

Signals is crap and I would have been distraught if I lived back then.

But Grace is beautiful!