Favorite Synth Era Album??

prolix

Giving Power Windows a listen right now. I just listened to Presto,which has a similar tone to me, but is much less busy. Listening to The Big Money and for my tastes there's just a lot going on that's unnecessary. Good song, though.

OK...the outro speaks to my point. Just guitar, drums and bass, and it's killer.

Edited by goose

Emotion Detector has some amazing vocals for Geddy...that chorus! And again...a stellar, stellar end to the song. the last minute is an incredible peak. Song for song, no other album has such great finishes across the board, I think.

Giving Power Windows a listen right now. I just listened to Presto,which has a similar tone to me, but is much less busy. Listening to The Big Money and for my tastes there's just a lot going on that's unnecessary. Good song, though.

OK...the outro speaks to my point. Just guitar, drums and bass, and it's killer.

Nei's drumming on that track is very busy and it is so necessary!!! It's so fun to play!!! Nice cowbell work on that song.

Emotion Detector has some amazing vocals for Geddy...that chorus! And again...a stellar, stellar end to the song. the last minute is an incredible peak. Song for song, no other album has such great finishes across the board, I think.

"Middletown" buddy!!!

I'm a fuckking Middle Aged Madonnawannabe! 48 years young tomorrow!! UGH! Sucks being single, alone and growing old. WTF??????

• Like 1

Do the math Rush geniuses.

Half of "Moving Pictures" is actually synth.

Signed,

"Half The World"

Signals still has some of the classic feel. Listen to Analog Kid. Theres no more synth in that than there is in Different Strings.

Analog Kid has not got the balance between guitar and keyboards.

It's a mess aside from the chorus.

You're killing me here. What about Alex's solo??? That is one of the most sublime solos he has done IMO.

Solo doesn't make me like that dull verse and chorus

Grace Under Pressure. Hold Your Fire was mediocre for a Rush album to say the least and Power Windows doesn't really do a lot for me emotionally. I can objectively say that Signals is probably the better of the remaining two, but my favorite has got to be the dark and mysterious successor. Not only does it kick off and end with a bang with two of my favorite Rush songs in general, Distant Early Warning and Between the Wheels, but The Enemy Within is one of the songs that got me into the band in the first place. Everything just reminds me of a sci-fi movie from the 70s or something. The only hiccup is Red Lenses, but there's enough said about that for all of us. It's an album I find myself coming back to even as I explore all the prog I've missed out on over the years.
  • Like 3

Grace Under Pressure. Hold Your Fire was mediocre for a Rush album to say the least and Power Windows doesn't really do a lot for me emotionally. I can objectively say that Signals is probably the better of the remaining two, but my favorite has got to be the dark and mysterious successor. Not only does it kick off and end with a bang with two of my favorite Rush songs in general, Distant Early Warning and Between the Wheels, but The Enemy Within is one of the songs that got me into the band in the first place. Everything just reminds me of a sci-fi movie from the 70s or something. The only hiccup is Red Lenses, but there's enough said about that for all of us. It's an album I find myself coming back to even as I explore all the prog I've missed out on over the years.

The song you call Between the Wheels sounds a lot like Afterimage, to me. :huh:

Anyway...Grace Under Pressure is probably my second favourite, of the synth era...Hold Your Fire is still king.

• Like 1

Anyway...Grace Under Pressure is probably my second favourite, of the synth era...Hold Your Fire is still king.

Read that again, Blue J. He says "kick off and end", not just "kick off".

Since the OP mentioned Red Lenses, though, I don't think it's a hiccup at all! It's a change in tone in regards to the songs that come before so it's almost a little discontinuous, like a mild case of Superconductor, but the lyrical content of the song fits in really well with the rest of the album. Red Lenses needed to be there and it enhances, rather than detracts from, the album, imo.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

Read that again, Blue J. He says "kick off and end", not just "kick off".

Since the OP mentioned Red Lenses, though, I don't think it's a hiccup at all! It's a change in tone in regards to the songs that come before so it's almost a little discontinuous, like a mild case of Superconductor, but the lyrical content of the song fits in really well with the rest of the album. Red Lenses needed to be there and it enhances, rather than detracts from, the album, imo.

Everyone has their opinions! It's not even as off-putting as Superconductor if I weren't looking at it from the perspective of the album as a whole. It's not bad--not much of what Rush does is--but it kind of throws me off the vibe a little bit. I can appreciate why people like it, but I can better appreciate why some don't! :D

How many of you consider Signals a synth era album?

I don't, personally.

I do. For me it's the album that marked a huge shift toward prominent keyboards in many of the album's songs, as well as keyboard-like guitar parts.

"Signals" is the first synth album by RUSH. I was so mad when I heard it for the first time I actually teared up. I hated it! Thought it was wimpy and weak! I was like "Where is the fuckking guitar?"

Power Windows. God damn love that album.

Power Windows is my favourite Rush album, followed by Hold Your Fire. Open Secrets is a top 5 song for me.

You guys are all right in my book.

It's gotta be Power Windows, it just speaks to me slightly more than Signals or Grace Under Pressure, although those two are very very close behind. With Power Windows they really mastered the implementation of the synths and it boasts some of the best of Neil's lyrics. I'm a bit mixed on Hold Your Fire, it has some good tracks but it's a little uneven.

Rather than get into questions about which album qualifies as a "synth era" album, I'll just say "the last one", because it was the last one.