Cam Newton's Flare - A Nuisance or Justified?

alphseeker

All i am going to say is that this is not the NFL I grew up in.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/Newton-New-Orleans-USA-TODAY-Sports-590x900_zpsdpqyuqdy.jpg

Not the NFL I grew up with either...it was the referee who shot the gun, and it was a starters pistol, not a flare gun...unless the game was in Montreaux.

It's not my cup of tea but it doesn't bother me either. It's not the mlb that definitely has an established tradition of decorum. It's also not new, just new for quarterbacks.

Yeah I really don't see this in any other major sport to this degree. And I'm not just picking on Cam, it's pervasive throughout the league. IMHO I think it cheapens the image of the league, but they are making their billions so i'm sure they don't give a f***.
  • Like 1

It's not my cup of tea but it doesn't bother me either. It's not the mlb that definitely has an established tradition of decorum. It's also not new, just new for quarterbacks.

Yeah I really don't see this in any other major sport to this degree. And I'm not just picking on Cam, it's pervasive throughout the league. IMHO I think it cheapens the image of the league, but they are making their billions so i'm sure they don't give a f***.

I think the league only cares about money. Btw, Jim McMahon was probably a bigger ass than cam so I was wrong about it being new to qbs. Just been a while.

• Like 1

I think the league only cares about money. Btw, Jim McMahon was probably a bigger ass than cam so I was wrong about it being new to qbs. Just been a while.

Off the field YES. Can't say I saw it on the field. I don't mind when they celebrate after a score but come on every first down you get???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvcfAW42ClQ

Edited by alphseeker
  • Like 1

Off the field YES. Can't say I saw it on the field. I don't mind when they celebrate after a score but come on every first down you get???

Here you go

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/temujin23/Bears/MCMahonRozelle.jpg

Here you go

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/temujin23/Bears/MCMahonRozelle.jpg

:LMAO: yep

I'd much rather support a guy like Cam who enjoys playing the game than a guy like Brady that cheats it.
  • Like 3

I'd much rather support a guy like Cam who enjoys playing the game than a guy like Brady that cheats it.

:facepalm: here we go again - Newton, a Heisman Trophy winner, caught cheating three times, including putting his name on someone else's paper without that student's knowledge. Edited by alphseeker
  • Like 1

:facepalm: here we go again - Newton, a Heisman Trophy winner, caught cheating three times, including putting his name on someone else's paper without that student's knowledge.

He stole a laptop in college and threw it out the window when the police were coming. Is it possible to have one thread in this section that isn't about tom Brady. Getting old.

• Like 2

:facepalm: here we go again - Newton, a Heisman Trophy winner, caught cheating three times, including putting his name on someone else's paper without that student's knowledge.

Off the field.

He stole a laptop in college and threw it out the window when the police were coming. Is it possible to have one thread in this section that isn't about tom Brady. Getting old.

We could talk about why there's so much criticism of Cam, but I'm not sure you'd like the direction of that conversation either.

• Like 1

We could talk about why there's so much criticism of Cam, but I'm not sure you'd like the direction of that conversation either.

The reason his arrogance upsets me so much is because of his serious pouting rants when he wasn't doing so good, back in the days when he was sitting alone on sideline hiding underneath a towel, refusing to interact with his offense on the bench, arguing with coaches and then after losses not giving the opposing winning QB any respect, couldn't look half of them in the eye.
  • Like 1

Just today or maybe yesterday, he claimed it's because he's black. Because, as we've seen with Obammie, the only reason to criticize a black person is because you're a racist.

• Like 2

The reason his arrogance upsets me so much is because of his serious pouting rants when he wasn't doing so good, back in the days when he was sitting alone on sideline hiding underneath a towel, refusing to interact with his offense on the bench, arguing with coaches and then after losses not giving the opposing winning QB any respect, couldn't look half of them in the eye.

Even as a spoiled 21 yrs old rookie star he had a better attitude than Kerry Colins. Lol

He was criticized for it and I've not seen it since his 2nd season. He has turned into a much better team leader. His 3rd and 4th seasons were not great team seasons but he showed more composure and positive team energy.

• Like 1

You should all look at what he's doing now and stop hiding behind criticisms of a college student who may have been misguided along the way. For crying out loud he led his team to a 15-1 record AND a Super Bowl appearance.

Obviously the kid grew up.

Repsect.

He's accomplished a lot. Too bad he chooses to act like a classless ass on every other play.
  • Like 1

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article45163665.html

Because of where we sat, we had a close up view of your conduct in the fourth quarter. The chest puffs. The pelvic thrusts. The arrogant struts and the ‘in your face’ taunting of both the Titans’ players and fans. We saw it all.

I refuse to believe you don’t realize you are a role model. You are paid millions of dollars every week to play hard and be a leader. In the off season you’re expected to make appearances, support charities, and inspire young kids to pursue your sport and all sports. With everything the NFL has gone through in recent years, I’m confident they have advised that you are, by virtue of your position and career choice, a role model.

And because you are a role model, your behavior brought out like behavior in the stands. Some of the Panthers fans in our section began taunting the hometown fans. Many Titans fans booed you, a few offering instructive, but not necessarily family friendly, suggestions as to how you might change your behavior.

My daughter sensed the change immediately – and started asking questions. Won’t he get in trouble for doing that? Is he trying to make people mad? Do you think he knows he looks like a spoiled brat?

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article45163665.html#storylink=cpy

I didn’t have great answers for her, and honestly, in an effort to minimize your negative impact and what was otherwise a really fun day, I redirected her attention to the cheerleaders and mascot.

I could tell she was still thinking about it as we boarded a shuttle back to our car. “I guess he doesn’t have kids or a Mom at home watching the game,” she added.

I don’t know about your family life Mr. Newton, but I think I’m safe in saying thousands of kids watch you every week. You have amazing talent and an incredible platform to be a role model for them. Unfortunately, what you modeled for them today was egotism, arrogance and poor sportsmanship.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article45163665.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 1

http://www.vibe.com/...hletic-success/

“Here I am, I’m doing exactly what I want to do, how I want to do it, and when I look in the mirror, it’s me,” he said. “Nobody changed me, nobody made me act this certain type of way and I’m true to my roots. That feels great. People are going to say whatever they’re going to say and if I’m in this world living for that person, ‘Oh this person is going to say this. This person is going to say that,’ then I can’t look at myself and say, ‘I’m Cam Newton.’

He also added that his race has played a factor. “I’ve said this since day one. I’m an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven’t seen nothing that they can compare me to.”

http://www.newnownext.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Screen-Shot-2013-12-26-at-11.44.55-PM.png

Warren was a class act.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

You should all look at what he's doing now and stop hiding behind criticisms of a college student who may have been misguided along the way. For crying out loud he led his team to a 15-1 record AND a Super Bowl appearance.

Repsect.

Yep he looks like he really grew up. :sarcastic:

• Like 1

Repsect.

Yep he looks like he really grew up. :sarcastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mnyEkhQGcs

Who cares about that shit?

Laughed at by the Totality of Existence's peevish, prima donna act got old a long time ago. Goes to show he has no life. Most pathetic trolls don't.

Laughed at by the Totality of Existence's peevish, prima donna act got old a long time ago. Goes to show he has no life. Most pathetic trolls don't.

Congrats...you made it through an entire post without using the word butthurt. Your #1 interest is smiling down on you right now.

It's especially impressive given that it's been a rough patch for you, with your bandwagons breaking down all over the place...Manning getting the best of Brady, the Cardinals getting taken out by the Cubs, and having a rough off-season and your Spurs (you are still a fan, right?) Being embarrassed by the Warriors just this week.

Fortunately. God's still on a winning streak...switching sides there would be particularly embarrassing.

All i am going to say is that this is not the NFL I grew up in.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/Newton-New-Orleans-USA-TODAY-Sports-590x900_zpsdpqyuqdy.jpg

Say what you will about Peyton, but he's not out there acting like an assclown every game.

I hope the Broncos win, but how can you stop these guys?