Presto!

JohnRogers

To me, Presto is a half finished article.....half of it is good to very good and half is dogshit.

I adore the title track and Available Light although they aren't enough to make it a "great" album...the rot had started to set in......

• Like 1

Haters gonna hate! Kidding. But honestly, I adore Presto. And not just because my member title comes from the title song. It's my go-to pick-me-up especially if I've had a bad day. Available Light is gorgeous; love love the piano there. Besides, I wouldn't even use the CD case as a coaster. It has bunnies on it! Bunnies!

Agreed! I love Presto too!

And yay for the bunnies!! :cheers::

• Like 1

The melodies are memorable. The humanistic element is wonderful (i.e., "Chain Lightning", "The Pass"). The production is thin, even on the 180-gram LP through a Jolida II phono stage.

But the overall encapsulation of a moment is awesome, encapsulated by "Available Light". A true "authentic" album by a non-synthetic band.

• Like 1

To me, Presto is a half finished article.....half of it is good to very good and half is dogshit.

I adore the title track and Available Light although they aren't enough to make it a "great" album...the rot had started to set in......

Neil and the other two are on record admitting that Presto couldve been better than what it was and if they had one album to re-record, it would be that one.

If anything, it was the first baby step towards getting away from the lush overproduced "everything but the kitchen sink" thrown in sound of the previous two albums and going more stripped down guitar/bass/drums.

Edited by jnoble

Tomorrow a face off battleface, in one corner Available Light in another box The Garden. I will decide the victor and all debate will cease. So say we all.

I can't seem to find a live version of Available Light, is that bootleg only???

It hasn't been played live.

Never??? :wtf:

Nope, not by the Rush guys.

If they ever did, I would have besmirched myself with joy! Wonderful song.

I consider it a miracle they played Presto (the song) I still don;t know how that never got played in 1990.

The Garden is

I've been listening to Available Light and comparing it to The Garden the last several days. Tomorrow night Ill render a verdict.

As much as I support Presto: You are comparing an epic Rush song in The Garden against a very average low impacting Album filler with A-Light

The Garden is

I've been listening to Available Light and comparing it to The Garden the last several days. Tomorrow night Ill render a verdict.

As much as I support Presto: You are comparing an epic Rush song in The Garden against a very average low impacting Album filler with A-Light

BU2B2 is the benchmark for low impacting album filler.

Available Light and The Garden are both good album closers.

You Bet Your Life is not album filler. It's simply a bad song.

The Garden is

In your view. Many of us,connect much more deeply with the poetic imagery of Available Light than the more literal and preachy Garden. To each his or her own.
  • Like 1

The Garden is

In your view. Many of us,connect much more deeply with the poetic imagery of Available Light than the more literal and preachy Garden. To each his or her own.

I agree. I like both but I do like Available Light more.

• Like 1

The Garden is

I have reached a verdict. Naturally some will be disappointed and disagree but remember your opinion is not important. My verdict is final and the end of the subject.

Now I don't play music I'm not a music making person, what do you call people who play instruments??? I do having the following criteria and scored the battle below.

Available Light vs The Garden...FIGHT!

Sing like Geddy: Tie

Crank volume to 11: Tie

Air Guitar with Alex Face: Tie

Words: Available Light

Fake drum monkey: Available Light

Production: The Garden

WINNER Available Light!

• Like 2

The Garden is

This!

The Garden is

I have reached a verdict. Naturally some will be disappointed and disagree but remember your opinion is not important. My verdict is final and the end of the subject.

Now I don't play music I'm not a music making person, what do you call people who play instruments??? I do having the following criteria and scored the battle below.

WINNER Available Light!

The Garden is beautifully produced, I'll give you that.

The Garden is

WINNER Available Light!

I don't even know what half that criteria means. This is what happens when you mix bunnies and 80s coke.

The Garden is

WINNER Available Light!

I don't even know what half that criteria means. This is what happens when you mix bunnies and 80s coke.

:LOL:

The Garden is

WINNER Available Light!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/stephfaris/blogs/coke2.jpg

We all make mistakes.

• Like 2

The Garden is

I agree. I like both but I do like Available Light more.

"Available Light" RULES!! Always wanted them to play that one live.

• Like 5