Presto!

JohnRogers

Great for a place to set your drink. And trying to convince someone they have tinnitus. That's about it.
  • Like 2

Haters gonna hate! Kidding. But honestly, I adore Presto. And not just because my member title comes from the title song. It's my go-to pick-me-up especially if I've had a bad day. Available Light is gorgeous; love love the piano there. Besides, I wouldn't even use the CD case as a coaster. It has bunnies on it! Bunnies!
  • Like 8

Great for playing air guitar while making Alex face and Geddy singing as you close/cleanup the cigar bar!

Pics or it didn't happen!

Haters gonna hate! Kidding. But honestly, I adore Presto. And not just because my member title comes from the title song. It's my go-to pick-me-up especially if I've had a bad day. Available Light is gorgeous; love love the piano there. Besides, I wouldn't even use the CD case as a coaster. It has bunnies on it! Bunnies!

Clearly a woman with exceptional taste.

• Like 3

Love the album and the song.I remember reading that Alex said it was 'less stodgy' than HYF and i agree.
  • Like 1

I wouldn't use the CD case as a coaster either. At least not before the CD itself.

What a difference a decade makes. To end the 70s with a masterpiece like Permanent Waves, and then to end the 80s with something like this... Rush went from the sublime to the ridiculous in ten short years.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

I wouldn't use the CD case as a coaster either. At least not before the CD itself.

What a difference a decade makes. To end the 70s with a masterpiece like Permanent Waves, and then to end the 80s with something like this... Rush went from the sublime to the ridiculous in ten short years.

Opinion. Just an opinion.

Edited by Segue Myles

Some might say that Van Halen did the same thing between 1978 and 1988...

• Like 3

Love the album and the song.I remember reading that Alex said it was 'less stodgy' than HYF and i agree.

Exactly and Hold Your Fire also cranks...well except Tai Shan.

I think the thing that changed the most in ten years wasn't the band, it was the folks following the band.

Presto isn't sonically that far removed from the early stuff. People rightfully complain about the thin sound, and don't get me wrong, it's thin. But a lot of Rush's older material also had some thinness to it. People praise Terry Brown for making the instrumentation crystal clear, and he should be praised for that. But the fine-line between mud extraction and thin production is right where he walked, and I think Presto walks the same line, only very marginally less successfully than most of Terry Brown's work.

Musically, the band honestly wasn't that different than it was on Permanent Waves. If you want to believe they were, that's great. But both Permanent Waves and Presto have their fair share of Rush-isms musically. Lifeson solos, Lee bass riffage, Peart slamming the drums. And elementally, Presto may not be as in-your-face progressive as many would like, but honestly, neither was Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. For every instance you can point to of an odd time signature in Permanent Waves, you can find one in Presto just about.

The main difference is that the outlier 8+ minute tracks are missing on Presto, and that's basically it. People complain about the lyrics not being prog or epic something, but really, the lyrics on Permanent Waves and moving Pictures weren't either, with two notable exceptions: Natural science and The Camera Eye. But even then, the lyrics on all three of these records are no longer stories, but rather just examinations of the human condition.

To me, the band did some growing up in the 70's, and starting with Permanent Waves, and certainly continuing to Presto and beyond, wrote great material.

And a few clunkers along the way, but hey, that happens.

No, the biggest difference I can find between Presto and Permanent Waves isn't in the musicians, it's in the audience. An audience that was 10 years older, and not as impressionable as they were when they took that first Rush listen back in the day.

That's my opinion, at least.

Presto is older than me. Permanent Waves is older than me. They both sound like good rock albums from where I sit, but I've always assumed that's because I listened to them at about the same period in my life.

• Like 5

I :heart: Presto!

I do love the album...and I'll always have a soft spot for it in particular because the first time I saw Rush live was during the tour for Presto.

• Like 4

I do love the album...and I'll always have a soft spot for it in particular because the first time I saw Rush live was during the tour for Presto.

I adore Presto. In my honest opinion, it is as great as Moving Pictures for the most part. It is glorious!

Thin production aside, I don't hear anything to complain about. And I like the airy sound!

• Like 3

I adore Presto. In my honest opinion, it is as great as Moving Pictures for the most part. It is glorious!

Thin production aside, I don't hear anything to complain about. And I like the airy sound!

My name is Blue J, and I approve this message. ^

• Like 1

Also, Presto has three of my top ten Rush songs:

Chain Lightning

Presto

Available Light

Moving Pictures has two:

Red Barchetta

Limelight

It's not a bad album, but all the songs sound the same and that is what gets to me after listening to a few of them.

" all songs sound the same" would apply to Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

Don't you want to live with a cinnamon girl? You could be happy the rest of your life with a cinnamon girl.

• Like 1