Band of the week

djflex

Porcupine Tree: Deadwing

220px-Pt_deadwing.jpg

I'm not going in any particular order in listening to these albums, which may or may not be a mistake. Deadwing came up first on the search today, so here we go. Right off the bat I can hear that this album is very different from Voyage34 stuff. As I understand it, V34 was a departure, so Deadwing must be more representative of typical Porcupine Tree, which at its best is in the vein of a less angry Tool. At my age, that's a good thing. :LOL: Being from 2005, I do hear some of the fallout from the loudness war of the period, though not nearly to the degree that Oasis used it (or RUSH on Vapor Trails).

The opening title track isn't really the kind of stuff I enjoy. Overly heavy drumming, whisper/growl vocals, in general, just trying too hard? Cool solo at the 3:30 mark, and at 5:30 the song get very interesting. Very atmospheric...cool tremolo guitar, great sounding bass. A shining moment in an overly long song that I really don't care for at all. Shallow is nice enough during the verses, but the chorus goes back into that heavy thing. With RUSH's Vapor Trails, I can tolerate it because of the lyrical material and context of the songs, but not having any connection to this band...I just find it annoying. Lazarus goes full on the other direction, overly light and syrupy. I'm beginning to think (hope?) that this album was just a bad choice...

It seems with Halo we may have turned a corner. Great grooving bass line, awesome add-signature break, more of those atmospheric guitars. I still find the vocal treatments irritating. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here seems an appropriate title for not only this next track, but for the album as a whole. Apparently much of the album's material was pitched by Steve Wilson as the frame for a film project, but it was never financed. I can see why. A ghost story? Well, so far this listening experience is rather frightening. :P Skipping along through the balance of the album I can tell that this just isn't my kind of thing.

Looking forward to the next album, though, which will be Fear of a Blank Planet. I've heard a lot about it...

Nice!!!

I love Lazarus. Awesome record

Arriving somewhere is pretty much my fave pt song

• Like 1

Porcupine Tree: Deadwing

220px-Pt_deadwing.jpg

I'm not going in any particular order in listening to these albums, which may or may not be a mistake. Deadwing came up first on the search today, so here we go. Right off the bat I can hear that this album is very different from Voyage34 stuff. As I understand it, V34 was a departure, so Deadwing must be more representative of typical Porcupine Tree, which at its best is in the vein of a less angry Tool. At my age, that's a good thing. :LOL: Being from 2005, I do hear some of the fallout from the loudness war of the period, though not nearly to the degree that Oasis used it (or RUSH on Vapor Trails).

The opening title track isn't really the kind of stuff I enjoy. Overly heavy drumming, whisper/growl vocals, in general, just trying too hard? Cool solo at the 3:30 mark, and at 5:30 the song get very interesting. Very atmospheric...cool tremolo guitar, great sounding bass. A shining moment in an overly long song that I really don't care for at all. Shallow is nice enough during the verses, but the chorus goes back into that heavy thing. With RUSH's Vapor Trails, I can tolerate it because of the lyrical material and context of the songs, but not having any connection to this band...I just find it annoying. Lazarus goes full on the other direction, overly light and syrupy. I'm beginning to think (hope?) that this album was just a bad choice...

It seems with Halo we may have turned a corner. Great grooving bass line, awesome add-signature break, more of those atmospheric guitars. I still find the vocal treatments irritating. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here seems an appropriate title for not only this next track, but for the album as a whole. Apparently much of the album's material was pitched by Steve Wilson as the frame for a film project, but it was never financed. I can see why. A ghost story? Well, so far this listening experience is rather frightening. :P Skipping along through the balance of the album I can tell that this just isn't my kind of thing.

Looking forward to the next album, though, which will be Fear of a Blank Planet. I've heard a lot about it...

Foabp is gteat too. Having alex makes worth hearing for a rush fan.

After foabp is the incident which is not rated by me.

In absentia is the realease prior to deadwing. Recommended as is lightbulb sun and stupid dream.

Really its all great stuff.

Steven wilson has some major mojo in a studio.

Imo he makes the best sounding music. His live show are incredible. The list of who has worked for is a whos who of great bands and musicians

• Like 2

Goose, there are a few phases of PT. It started with Wilson on his own, pretending that the tapes he released, are from an unknown seventies prog band. Clever move.

In the early nineties he decided to form a "real" band. In that 4 piece line-up, PT played until 2001. The music they made at the time is probably best described as psychedelic, prog rock, heavily influenced by Floyd, Genesis...

From 2001 onward the line-up changed and they signed a major deal. From then on, the music went more into a heavy prog style, with the addition of a second guitarist and the change of the drummer.

I guess you've looked that up already. :)

You started the run at a good place with Voyage, but you should go back to the 90's psych phase first (IMO).

• Like 2

Goose, there are a few phases of PT. It started with Wilson on his own, pretending that the tapes he released, are from an unknown seventies prog band. Clever move.

In the early nineties he decided to form a "real" band. In that 4 piece line-up, PT played until 2001. The music they made at the time is probably best described as psychedelic, prog rock, heavily influenced by Floyd, Genesis...

From 2001 onward the line-up changed and they signed a major deal. From then on, the music went more into a heavy prog style, with the addition of a second guitarist and the change of the drummer.

You started the run at a good place with Voyage, but you should go back to the 90's psych phase first (IMO).

Will do!
  • Like 1

Will do!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Gave this a listen last night...

Porcupine_tree_on_the_sunday_of_life.jpg

Gotta keep it brief, but n a nutshell, this is more of a traditional prog sound and much more to my liking.

• Like 1

Porcupine_tree_up_the_downstair.jpg

1993's Up The Downstair

Apparently from the same era as Voyage34, which I loved. I'm digging the straight ahead groove of the opener, Synesthesia. I like the restraint...like slowly dipping one's foot into the prog experience, rather than diving in. Wading in Always Never takes us slowly into deeper waters. I love the guitar sound on this. The opening of the side A closing title track, Up The Downstair, sets a great mood...Gregorians in outer space! A smooth groove sets in, and then..a heavy guitar hook adds another layer.

:drool:

I can't wait till this evening, when I can continue on to side B...

• Like 1

Gotta keep it brief, but n a nutshell, this is more of a traditional prog sound and much more to my liking.

Gave this a re-listen and I really do love it. Did Steve really do all the vocals? That's not a female...?
  • Like 1

Gave this a re-listen and I really do love it. Did Steve really do all the vocals? That's not a female...?

Goose, here are the liner notes...

YnB26YG.jpg

• Like 1

YnB26YG.jpg

Crazy.
  • Like 1

YnB26YG.jpg

Crazy.

I love that album. Great atmosphere and the lyrics are beyond psychedelic. Radioactive Toy is my fave early PT song.

• Like 1

uRdT9AD.jpg

Just listening to this beautiful early EP (all Wilson by himself). Terrific recording!

• Like 1

1994 - The whole world listened to Grunge... Wilson walked the ambient way...

Moonloop (unedited improvisation) 40m07s

everybody who clicks... enjoy the ride... :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwR4Js4ran8

• Like 1

I've always struggled with Gabriel-era Genesis, finding it overwrought, repetitive, and generally unable to hold my interest. But, I'm not one to give up, and Cat3 has inspired me to give it another try. So, diving in...

220px-The_Lamb_Lies_Down_on_Broadway.jpg

Might as well start with what seems like the most accessible Gabriel album, an album that apparently wasn't very comfortable for the band to make. The results, however, are an album that is held up by fans and critics as one Genesis' best.

The opening track is killer, of course, with a great melody and bass line. Embedded is a teaser of Carpetcrawlers, my favorite Gabriel-era tune (at this point). Nice start.

(more to come...gotta work)

• Like 1

I've always struggled with Gabriel-era Genesis, finding it overwrought, repetitive, and generally unable to hold my interest. But, I'm not one to give up, and Cat3 has inspired me to give it another try. So, diving in...

Might as well start with what seems like the most accessible Gabriel album, an album that apparently wasn't very comfortable for the band to make. The results, however, are an album that is held up by fans and critics as one Genesis' best.

The opening track is killer, of course, with a great melody and bass line. Embedded is a teaser of Carpetcrawlers, my favorite Gabriel-era tune (at this point). Nice start.

I have the same problem with it.

• Like 1

OK, continuing on...

Just let me start (or continue?) by saying that headphones are a must for this album. I'm getting a much warmer vibe from it, the guitars sound much better, and it's making all the difference. The solo in Fly on A Windshield is wonderful, very YES-like, and the pulsing guitar in Broadway Melody - and the atmospheric keys - really come through. Cuckoo-Cocoon is an example of the Gabriel-era stuff that really gets on my nerves. I don't go for Peter's hyper-theatrical, overly-busy lyrics. More often than not, they don't strike me as particularly clever or deep, just self-indulgent (this is not true for his solo material). And I'd like to stick that flute... In The Cage to the rescue! The band really gets going here, and I wish the drums were a bit more up front, because Phil really gets after it, especially from 14:15 on. Tony's keys are fantastic as well. Phil tries his best to rescue The Grand Parade, the side A closer, but again, his drums are buried in the mix, and we're left with Gabriel up front at his nonsensical, overly theatrical worst.

Side B's first two tracks, Back in NYC and Hairless Heart don't do much for me, and Counting Out Time oscillates between a nice little ditty, an excellent, heavier jam, and irritating prog wankery. And then, perfection. Carpet Crawlers is perfect in every way, with the atmospheric keys setting the initial mood, Gabriel singing with restraint, each additional musical element added masterfully to bring it to a crescendo. I do have to say though, the alternate version with Phil Collins (Carpetcrawlers 1999*) slays the album version. The Chamber of 32 Doors is an enjoyable slow closer for the side.

Lilywhite Lilith is a gem and has all the elements that make early Collins-era Genesis some of my favorite music of all time. When the band focuses on laying down a groove, they're hard to beat. Yet, still, Gabriel seems bent on tearing the listener away from the music with treatments like the annoying high-pitched backing vocals. Why...? I really enjoy the sonic explorations of the Waiting Room, and its rocking follow-up, Anyway. ...Anaesthetist is a wasted track, and Lamia is another of those songs that can't seem to decide what it is. Equal parts rocking prog gem and abysmal prog self-indulgence.

The final side of this double-album journey opens with The Colony of Slippermen. Again, the music is pretty engaging, and it reminds me of Tull's Thick as A Brick in many ways. Ravine? Can someone find me a bridge? The Light Lies Down...? Can it just please go out at this point? :P

Riding the Scree arrives to save the day. The fact that it's virtually an instrumental helps. Looking at reviews for this album, a common theme is praise being heaped upon Phil Collins' drumming. Deservedly so, as well as Tony Banks' keys, showcased here perfectly. In the Rapids is essentially more of Gabriel's story-telling nonsense, which I've more than had my fill of at this point. But, as if to say to me, "Don't go away mad!", It closes the Lamb listening experience on a high note.

There's a solid ten-song single album here, but, frankly, as with a lot of story-based prog, I find the narrative uncompelling. While the band's talent and artistry is undeniable, it seems that Gabriel's early career efforts just may not be for me. We'll see. As I said, I ain't no quitter!

Selling England By The Pound is up next...

• Like 1

OK, continuing on...

Just let me start (or continue?) by saying that headphones are a must for this album. I'm getting a much warmer vibe from it, the guitars sound much better, and it's making all the difference. The solo in Fly on A Windshield is wonderful, very YES-like, and the pulsing guitar in Broadway Melody - and the atmospheric keys - really come through. Cuckoo-Cocoon is an example of the Gabriel-era stuff that really gets on my nerves. I don't go for Peter's hyper-theatrical, overly-busy lyrics. More often than not, they don't strike me as particularly clever or deep, just self-indulgent (this is not true for his solo material). And I'd like to stick that flute... In The Cage to the rescue! The band really gets going here, and I wish the drums were a bit more up front, because Phil really gets after it, especially from 14:15 on. Tony's keys are fantastic as well. Phil tries his best to rescue The Grand Parade, the side A closer, but again, his drums are buried in the mix, and we're left with Gabriel up front at his nonsensical, overly theatrical worst.

Side B's first two tracks, Back in NYC and Hairless Heart don't do much for me, and Counting Out Time oscillates between a nice little ditty, an excellent, heavier jam, and irritating prog wankery. And then, perfection. Carpet Crawlers is perfect in every way, with the atmospheric keys setting the initial mood, Gabriel singing with restraint, each additional musical element added masterfully to bring it to a crescendo. I do have to say though, the alternate version with Phil Collins (Carpetcrawlers 1999*) slays the album version. The Chamber of 32 Doors is an enjoyable slow closer for the side.

Lilywhite Lilith is a gem and has all the elements that make early Collins-era Genesis some of my favorite music of all time. When the band focuses on laying down a groove, they're hard to beat. Yet, still, Gabriel seems bent on tearing the listener away from the music with treatments like the annoying high-pitched backing vocals. Why...? I really enjoy the sonic explorations of the Waiting Room, and its rocking follow-up, Anyway. ...Anaesthetist is a wasted track, and Lamia is another of those songs that can't seem to decide what it is. Equal parts rocking prog gem and abysmal prog self-indulgence.

The final side of this double-album journey opens with The Colony of Slippermen. Again, the music is pretty engaging, and it reminds me of Tull's Thick as A Brick in many ways. Ravine? Can someone find me a bridge? The Light Lies Down...? Can it just please go out at this point? :P

Riding the Scree arrives to save the day. The fact that it's virtually an instrumental helps. Looking at reviews for this album, a common theme is praise being heaped upon Phil Collins' drumming. Deservedly so, as well as Tony Banks' keys, showcased here perfectly. In the Rapids is essentially more of Gabriel's story-telling nonsense, which I've more than had my fill of at this point. But, as if to say to me, "Don't go away mad!", It closes the Lamb listening experience on a high note.

There's a solid ten-song single album here, but, frankly, as with a lot of story-based prog, I find the narrative uncompelling. While the band's talent and artistry is undeniable, it seems that Gabriel's early career efforts just may not be for me. We'll see. As I said, I ain't no quitter!

Selling England By The Pound is up next...

Great review.

Carpet crawlers is just amazing. Personally it takes me back to the old days memory wise. Crazy strong association type of deal.

Give back in nyc another try or two. Its pretty fierce by their standards imo

I love it but like most double records a bit of filler

Off topic

What is it with double records and then the departure of a band member in prog music????

• Like 1

Tried my hand at the Foxtrot last night...

220px-Foxtrot72.jpg

Quite enjoyable musically, overall a better listen than Lamb..., I'd say. So I played it twice. :)

• Like 1