djflex

ELP are great.

Can I just play the debut on loop?

We already did Boston!

:LOL:

I still only play that album...oopsies

• Like 2

http://images.popmatters.com/music_cover_art/b/beck-seachange.jpg

Sea Change opens with Beck channeling a Rollings Stones Angie-type vibe. The Golden Age is very mellow and country-flavored, and it makes for a strange opener, I think. Paper Tiger continues the ultra mellow vibe. A quiet drum track and a mellow, meandering bass line remain the only constants initially in the song, as a punctuated instrumentation of string and electric guitar snippets are overlaid until they build into a cohesive orchestral sound. The sounds build nicely into a crescendo before closing to the sparseness of the opening. Very nicely crafted. Guess I'm Doing Fine follows in the same vain as the opener. This album is much more of a straight forward mellow folk rock album. Gone are Beck's trademark SoCal grooving beat and sampling-rich song production, as well as the ironic, word-salad lyrics.

Critics rave about this album, but I find it a bit dull, to be honest.

:bump:

I'll work my way backward throughout the day. No small task, considering his expansive collection, but I'm :drool: And here we go...

http://yougaku-pops.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/150305-beck-morning-phase-200x200.jpg

Morning Phase... Beck starts off here by channeling Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame. It seems appropriate, as Beck has taken on the role of his generation's melodic genius. Morning is one of the more beautiful songs I've heard in a long time. Really mesmerizing. I'm guessing some of his fans might not have appreciated this approach, which is miles from Where It's At or Loser. But, hey, we all grow up. Heart is a Drum follows in a similar vein, with shades of Pink Floyd in the guitar work and vocals. The balance of the album follows suit, in a relaxing, escapist, Pet Sounds kind of way.

Many thanks to the Artist Formerly Know as 74 for turning me on to the Beck marathon. :cheers:

:bump: Edited by goose

Anyone up for a trip through the Beastie Boys catalogue? Listening to Sweet Leaf brought them to mind, as they sampled that riff for a track on their debut.
  • Like 1

Yes definitely! I love beastie boys.

Loved this album in high school and still do.

http://i.imgur.com/krtcwG9.jpg

Other favorites:

Ill Communication

Check your Head

Paul's Boutique

• Like 1

Yes definitely! I love beastie boys.

Loved this album in high school and still do.

http://i.imgur.com/krtcwG9.jpg

Other favorites:

Ill Communication

Check your Head

Paul's Boutique

Then it's settled. Tomorrow, a Beastie Boys marathon! Edited by goose
  • Like 3

220px-Licensed_to_ill.jpg

Licensed to Ill is raw, but full of clever devices. The best thing they do for a guy like me is to sample well-known classic rock albums. Out of the gate, the Beasties make it clear what their style is by combining a sampling of Bonham's When the Levee Breaks groove with an iconic Sweet Leaf Sabbath riff on Ryhmin' and Stealin'. She's Crafty follows suit with the lifting of a riff from Zep's the Ocean. We also get samplings of Steve Miller's Take the Money and Run, WAR's Low Rider and the theme from Green Acres, among many others. There's also plenty of humor, found in tracks like Girls and Hold It Now Hit It. Finally, Brass Monkey gives hints of the inventiveness to come in future albums.

We also learn that the boys really seem to like White Castle.

• Like 1

220px-BeastieBoysPaul%27sBoutique.jpg

Holy cow! With Paul's Boutique, the Beastie Boys show that they are a legitimate act, producing an album that is leaps and bounds beyond their debut in terms of creativity and complexity. Music-wise, that is. Lyrically, much is the same, but that's the nature of rap & hip hop, and - honestly - a big reason as to why I really don't care for the genre. But, the music is clever. and the lyrics funny enough to keep me interested throughout the album. I can see why Paul's Boutique gets ranked highly among classic albums. It really is a lot of fun.

• Like 3