Band of the week

djflex

Well my first listen this week was Countdown to Extinction

I picked this one to go first for me only because it is one of the first compact discs i ever bought. I bought a jambox style cd player and had left over to buy 3 cds lol. It was not my first megadeth , just first cd. Overall a good listen, but i consider this a second tier megadeth release. My favorite tracks are symphony of destruction and sweating bullets...

Anyone else do one today?

Probably do Rip or peace sells tomorrow

Ashes In Your Mouth isn't your favorite? Far and away the best song on the album and one of the best post Rust In Peace songs they've done.

No not my fave, but a great track. But everything is always subjective..

Im really hoping the new one delivers.

From the songs we've heard, it sounds like the new one can be as good as The System Has Failed and Endgame.

CTE has some really good songs on it. I think it loses some serious momentum after This Was My Life though. Ashes really picks the album back up to the quality of the first half and ends it on a really strong note.

I'll be giving Peace Sells a listen in a little while.

Well my first listen this week was Countdown to Extinction

I picked this one to go first for me only because it is one of the first compact discs i ever bought. I bought a jambox style cd player and had left over to buy 3 cds lol. It was not my first megadeth , just first cd. Overall a good listen, but i consider this a second tier megadeth release. My favorite tracks are symphony of destruction and sweating bullets...

Anyone else do one today?

Probably do Rip or peace sells tomorrow

Ashes In Your Mouth isn't your favorite? Far and away the best song on the album and one of the best post Rust In Peace songs they've done.

No not my fave, but a great track. But everything is always subjective..

Im really hoping the new one delivers.

From the songs we've heard, it sounds like the new one can be as good as The System Has Failed and Endgame.

CTE has some really good songs on it. I think it loses some serious momentum after This Was My Life though. Ashes really picks the album back up to the quality of the first half and ends it on a really strong note.

I'll be giving Peace Sells a listen in a little while.

I agree with momentum loss thing on the second half .

For the new one , i only listened to the first dropped track a couple of times. I never listened to the second at all yet. Lately with new releases i just want to hear it all all the way through for the first time.

If it is as solid as end game, i will be happy. Alot of people hated 13 , but i liked a few of the tracks alot. But to me end game was fairly solid all the way through, for the most part.

This is so sad.

One of my best friends is a big fan, I might not be but I still cannot believe what a difficult year this has turned out to be.

They are all so young (sorry but 70 is not "old" to me). Its devastating the number of, not just entertainers, but human beings we are losing.

These are men who helped shape the tastes of a generation.

This is so sad.

One of my best friends is a big fan, I might not be but I still cannot believe what a difficult year this has turned out to be.

They are all so young (sorry but 70 is not "old" to me). Its devastating the number of, not just entertainers, but human beings we are losing.

I think someone posted in the wrong thread :LOL:

• Like 1

This is so sad.

I wrote this drinking wine...totally just went to check the thread and was like "where is my post?"

Hahahaha

• Like 2

This is so sad.

I wrote this drinking wine...totally just went to check the thread and was like "where is my post?"

Hahahaha

Im just glad to get some traffic here...lol

This is so sad.

Hahahaha

Are you drinking Nightwish wine? They had that a few years ago. Not sure if they're still selling it now though.

This is so sad.

Hahahaha

It's a new thread idea. Give it some time to take off.

This is so sad.

Hahahaha

It's a new thread idea. Give it some time to take off.

I will, was not srs. I rarely am serious...

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

A title as true today as it was 30 years ago when Megadeth released this classic. Top level guitar work here which is only topped by their work on Rust In Peace. I think Wake Up Dead could have worked just as well as an instrumental since there's so few lyrics to it. Taking the words out would not have affected the impact of the song at all.

My favorites are The Conjuring, Devil's Island and Good Mourning/Black Friday. Some real crazy guitar work on Black Friday. It's too bad Mustaine will never play The Conjuring live ever again because of his current religious beliefs. I mean it's not like he's gonna awaken some demon from hell if he sings those lyrics again. Superstitious is really the only song that sounds out of place here. I know it's a cover but it just doesn't fit the vibe of the album.

Other than that, this album is great and essential listening if you like thrash metal or want to educate yourself on the history of the genre.

• Like 1

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

A title as true today as it was 30 years ago when Megadeth released this classic. Top level guitar work here which is only topped by their work on Rust In Peace. I think Wake Up Dead could have worked just as well as an instrumental since there's so few lyrics to it. Taking the words out would not have affected the impact of the song at all.

My favorites are The Conjuring, Devil's Island and Good Mourning/Black Friday. Some real crazy guitar work on Black Friday. It's too bad Mustaine will never play The Conjuring live ever again because of his current religious beliefs. I mean it's not like he's gonna awaken some demon from hell if he sings those lyrics again. Superstitious is really the only song that sounds out of place here. I know it's a cover but it just doesn't fit the vibe of the album.

Other than that, this album is great and essential listening if you like thrash metal or want to educate yourself on the history of the genre.

Good post. And no doubt one of the all time great metal classics, thrash or otherwise

I have to agree about superstious , i dont hate it. But it just does not flow on the album, kinda wish they left it off

• Like 1

Today i listened to endgame

Imo, this was a really strong release from megadeth. Of his last 3 this is the best for me. For many old school fans of the band who may not have heard, I really recommend it. Is it as good as RIP or Peace sells? Hells no, but still solid. My personal stand outs are 44 minutes and bite the hand. For some reason i like the right to go insane also, but not sure why lol

Bite the hand sounds old school to me and i like that.

Just listened to Rust In Peace. Holy Wars is a great track, plenty of dynamics and levels of intensity, plus the riffs and solos are just awesome. The rest of the album isn't quite as great as the first track, but still very cool. I think I like these guys better than Metallica.
  • Like 1

Just listened to Rust In Peace. Holy Wars is a great track, plenty of dynamics and levels of intensity, plus the riffs and solos are just awesome. The rest of the album isn't quite as great as the first track, but still very cool. I think I like these guys better than Metallica.

Awesome. A good one to start with. Many , many people prefer megadeth over metallica. I listen to megadeth all the time, metallica not so much anymore

Awesome. A good one to start with. Many , many people prefer megadeth over metallica. I listen to megadeth all the time, metallica not so much anymore

I can see why. Metallica's cool and all, but they're really missing out on something Megadeth has stores of.

I can see why. Metallica's cool and all, but they're really missing out on something Megadeth has stores of.

Honestly i only really liked metallicas first 4. I also kinda liked death magnetic but not much else

Honestly i only really liked metallicas first 4. I also kinda liked death magnetic but not much else

From Metallica I've only heard MoP, aJfA, and the song Enter Sandman, all of which I like well enough, but they don't hold my attention as easily as Megadeth.

Megadeth is better than Metallica in almost every way. I'll give someone Burton over Ellefson and vocals if they wanna argue that, but I still prefer Dave there too. Lars' limbs would fall off if he tried to play Take No Prisoners. Edited by Stormtron
  • Like 3

Today was peace sells...but who's buying

Probably my second favorite megadeth album behind rust in peace. We already talked a little on this one earlier. But it really is great example of what made megadeth so awesome. This is a must for anyone who enjoys metal really.

Loathe Megadeth...I'll return next week.

Well i hope someone doesnt pick metallica then next week lol..

Would be a crappy pick for sure

• Like 1

Megadeth is better than Metallica in almost every way. I'll give someone Burton over Ellefson and vocals if they wanna argue that, but I still prefer Dave there too. Lars' limbs would fall off if he tried to play Take No Prisoners.

ellefson's probably "better" than burton, not quite as unique though, and he has the misfortune of still being alive which drastically reduces cool points amongst metalheads.

man, weird thread. it's hard for me to even imagine someone into heavy music who hasn't heard peace sells and rust in peace. classics.

and yes, megadeth is clearly better than metallica unless your criteria is album sales. aside from being better players which really doesn't actually matter, mustaine is just a more consistent riff writer. he didn't become a millionaire at 30 like the metallica guys so he never really lost his edge. he's found god, but he's still a bitter, angry m***********, but hey, that's what keeps your spark going in the metal business. not that every megadeth record is great, far from it, their past several have all been pretty so-so aside from endgame, but still better than all the metallica post-justice.

• Like 1

man, weird thread. it's hard for me to even imagine someone into heavy music who hasn't heard peace sells and rust in peace. classics.

and yes, megadeth is clearly better than metallica unless your criteria is album sales. aside from being better players which really doesn't actually matter, mustaine is just a more consistent riff writer. he didn't become a millionaire at 30 like the metallica guys so he never really lost his edge. he's found god, but he's still a bitter, angry m***********, but hey, that's what keeps your spark going in the metal business. not that every megadeth record is great, far from it, their past several have all been pretty so-so aside from endgame, but still better than all the metallica post-justice.

This thread isnt about listening a band the first time.

Its just a different band each week, where everyone picks an album each day to listen to and posts general comments. I just picked megadeth because i wanted to listen to them all week b4 the new one drops. However if someone has never listened to them and joins in thats cool too. The next band pick for next week we pick over the weekend