mosh pits

geddy alex peart

QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Sep 1 2005, 10:32 AM)
i think mosh pits are the most retarded thing ever cause your not even listening to the concert you payed for but insted your getting the shit beaten out of you. any agree on this

Hell YEAH!

yes.gif

Stupid people

LOVE LOVE LOVE EM!

Heh, I used to hate them, then I actually got to feel the excitement of being in one. It really does depend on the crowd though, there are some pits where people just want to move and thrash about, and then there are some where people just genuinly wanna hurt another person. I definatly stay away from the second of the two, but to me it adds to the intensity of the music if the crowd creates a bigger response to it.

I guess I'm one of the stupid people....

I've done it once just to say I done it but this was about 12 years ago when it was all the rage.....I would never consider doing it anymore.....

I did it for Alice In Chains and Primus at Lalalooza 3....I still enjoyed the music and while I was in there there was a general consensus of people helping others if it got too hairy......If someone fell people around them quickly picked them up....There wasn't anybody beating anybody up though I'd imagine that would happen at say, a Slayer concert....What I'm saying is it depends on the bands and type of music....

You shouldn't judge others unless you try it yourself first no.gif If the youngsters enjoy doing it and genuinely help others in the pit it's all good...better than them running around letting off steam by getting into trouble with the law and so forth

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 1 2005, 11:29 AM)
LOVE LOVE LOVE EM!

Heh, I used to hate them, then I actually got to feel the excitement of being in one. It really does depend on the crowd though, there are some pits where people just want to move and thrash about, and then there are some where people just genuinly wanna hurt another person. I definatly stay away from the second of the two, but to me it adds to the intensity of the music if the crowd creates a bigger response to it.

Ditto.

QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Sep 1 2005, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Sep 1 2005, 12:34 PM)
Wouldn't it suck if you fell in a mosh pit and nobody helped you up, and then you just layed there getting stepped on until the show ended?

Didn'tthat happen at a david cassidy concert?

Oh, I'm sure it's happened before. I was just thinking in general about how much it would suck.

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Sep 1 2005, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Sep 1 2005, 10:32 AM)
i think mosh pits are the most retarded thing ever cause your not even listening to the concert you payed for but insted your getting the shit beaten out of you. any agree on this

Hell YEAH!

yes.gif

Stupid people

I never want to be in one. But if one of those freaks jarred me then I would give him a warning. The second time, he would be knocked the f*ck out!

They are a bit of a bother at metal shows where you'd like to be headbanging in front of the band (which I used to do until I cut my hair a few months ago -- and headbanging in the back of the room is not fun) and you're a frail 5'7", 130 lbs, and there's a crowd of 6'4", 250 lb- behemoths beating the F out of each other in your back, and often missing. Of course it's pleasant to see that when someone falls he gets help in a matter of seconds, but I don't know, pits are no fun for me.

QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Sep 1 2005, 09:32 AM)

k buddy, think about it this way. if you go to a concert to "Listen to the music" why not just sit at home and listen to the cd?

Concerts aren't just about the music. i mean yea you wouldn't go to a concert of people who you didn't like the music of, but still, it's so much more than that. concerts are about having FUN, and to me, mosh picks are f*ckin funner than hell.

i mean seriously why go to a concert and just stand there and listen to the music? when you're at a concert you should show how happy you are to be there and just GO FREAKIN CRAZY! that's what i do at about every concert i've been to.

sadly i haven't been to that many, just some cheap christian concerts really, but some of those guys really rocked and i've been in a couple awesome mosh pits and i love 'em.

so yea i mean you can dislike them i don't care but i hope my logic here has helped you to retract your "they're retarded" statement.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Sep 1 2005, 10:13 PM)
if you go to a concert to "Listen to the music" why not just sit at home and listen to the cd? 

wacko.gif 062802puke_prv.gif that's what my step-father used to say and frankly, i could never reason his reasoning!

k buddy, think about it this way. if you go to a concert to "Listen to the music" why not just sit at home and listen to the cd?

Concerts aren't just about the music. i mean yea you wouldn't go to a concert of people who you didn't like the music of, but still, it's so much more than that. concerts are about having FUN, and to me, mosh picks are f*ckin funner than hell.

i mean seriously why go to a concert and just stand there and listen to the music? when you're at a concert you should show how happy you are to be there and just GO FREAKIN CRAZY! that's what i do at about every concert i've been to.

sadly i haven't been to that many, just some cheap christian concerts really, but some of those guys really rocked and i've been in a couple awesome mosh pits and i love 'em.

so yea i mean you can dislike them i don't care but i hope my logic here has helped you to retract your "they're retarded" statement.

i see where your coming from but like say when i payed about 150 for a kiss concert i really listend because mosh pitting is just wasteing that money by not doing what i came to do which is listen to music. if i went to a 10 for a concert f**k ill go crazy cause i just came to partially listen to music

QUOTE (Oberon @ Sep 1 2005, 07:26 PM)
there's a crowd of 6'4", 250 lb- behemoths beating the F out of each other in your back, and often missing.

advice: get closer to the stage! and bring a girl with you. more times than not the girls are the ones in the front. i try to squeeze in and when the girls try and cut me i deny them! then i use them as my buffer between the moshpit and myself!

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 1 2005, 10:55 PM)
and bring a girl with you.

sad.gif

laugh.gif

My first concert I was 12 years old, my brother was 18, and all his friends were around his age. He took me to a lot of concerts and he always got on the floor UP FRONT at every one of them. As Sammy Hagar would say, we were "up front fanatics"... There were never any Mosh pits then but it got pretty rough up front. Then in the late 80's and through the 90's "mosh pits" were born and I went to a lot of shows like Megadeath, Pantera, etc. And the pits were gruesome, but it was a lot of fun, usually I would get right up on the wall in front of the bands and most pits were a little further back, but I got kicked in the back of the head on several occasions. One time, this guy jumped on stage at a pantera concert, then jumped off into the crowd and his body went over my head and his knee hit me right in the face, full force, I saw stars and almost passed out, hard telling what could have happened after that.

I go on the floor sometimes but I try to stay away from the moshing areas for the most part. But I can see how people thinks its fun. I've done it before here and there. It seems like a lot of times theres this 350 lb 15 year old bully throwing kids around just because he can.

QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Sep 1 2005, 10:51 PM)

i see where your coming from but like say when i payed about 150 for a kiss concert i really listend because mosh pitting is just wasteing that money by not doing what i came to do which is listen to music. if i went to a 10 for a concert f**k ill go crazy cause i just came to partially listen to music

think about it like this though. just cuz you're moshing, it doesn't mean you can't still hear the music. i mean, when the music is awesome you mosh to it cuz it really makes you pumped up. and besides who says people mosh throughout entire concerts? i only mosh for like a minute at a time cuz it gets so tiring. i go to listen to music, but some added moshing makes concerts a lot funner in my opinion.

From my experience, there arent many people who have the energy to mosh an entire concert. I can barely stand a couple minutes before I have to get up a little closer for a breather, I couldnt imagine 2+ hours of straight moshing for anyone. Its just a fun thing to do when you have a ton of energy inside you from the music.

Archived