Is Rock In Its Final Decade?

Lorraine

I think those people are either lazy or just have tunnel vision. Wanting to be right so they can act like a martyr for this "dying" art form. It isn't dead, it's more like rock has settled. It exploded in the 70's, came back down with an aftershock in the 90's. All the settled debris can represent the million different subgenres. To me last year was one of the best for music since 2000. i found so many albums I enjoyed.

If anything, the modern era of rock and metal (since the '90s at the earliest) has sprouted some sub-genres within itself that I probably wouldn't have discovered nor known without today's advantage of discovering music. Yes, rock the way most people who are older than me would remember it isn't quite exactly what it is now. Does that mean rock and roll and/or metal is dying? Quite the opposite. Objectively speaking, I find a myriad of modern day bands to enjoy and indulge in. Personally, the past 4 years have possibly been the most blossoming time as far as my quest to discover newer rock/metal bands (as well as other music outside the genre) goes. Admittedly, I can get too carried away with that at the expense of "older" bands I haven't discovered nor listen to yet, but I never wanted to be so ignorant towards some of the music that's being put out today.

Nowadays, if someone wants to find/discover "good" rock/metal bands of today (again any kind of music can apply as well), use common sense and go look for it cause you're bound to find something and if you say otherwise than you're either a lazy piece of shit who expects it to come out of the radio or "mainstream" (in other words, directly to you with little effort) or you don't know what you're missing. In my case, I find them by word of mouth through friends of mine whom have common ground with music of interest, what bands/musicians I look up to listen to as far as "modern" music goes, or popping in a record store finding something that looks foreign to me and Google them up on my phone just to keep the band's name in the back of my head. Just my opinion of course and if you disagree feel free to do so, but through my personal experiences that's the way it seems to be.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 3

Somehow, seemingly out of nowhere, I've become the elder statesman at work.

The amazing thing that I've discovered is that my coworkers really love all of the bands that I grew up with.

The classic rock and roll...The Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones, Rush, The Who, etc., etc.

They really have a good knowledge of the music and a true appreciation for it.

This lets me know that rock and roll will live on as younger people discover it and pass it along.

• Like 6

Music/rock is only as dead as you make it.

if you refuse to venture out......it's dead.

Mick

I think those people are either lazy or just have tunnel vision. Wanting to be right so they can act like a martyr for this "dying" art form. It isn't dead, it's more like rock has settled. It exploded in the 70's, came back down with an aftershock in the 90's. All the settled debris can represent the million different subgenres. To me last year was one of the best for music since 2000. i found so many albums I enjoyed.

Keep in mind it's also an ego thing. We generally like to think we like the universally best stuff out there, especially when we don't hear much coming down the pike that we like, therefore music is suffering or declining or even awful...and once our heroes go, we're all screwed. What people of my generation don't get right now is that it's not up to us to decide. When I was BASKING in simply AWESOME music of the 1970s (and spill over from the 60s) my grandparents were in death throes over the music they liked becoming passe and rock and roll and bands like Kiss were left in the eventual wake. They thought music had died and gone straight to hell. :D Were they right or merely right unto themselves?

And I'm not saying you can't be older and like new things....or younger and be discovering the Beatles right now in 2016. Of course you can and people do. Thank God for it too. But by and large people like what they like and as that first BIG WAVE of rock GODS get into their 70s and even 80s, the mortality of it all seems hung pretty low over head. Even relatively younger rock stars are dying from disease or lifestyle or the natural turn of events. It all paints this rather gloomy picture that we're losing it all. This is how old people feel when they watch their relatives die and they read the obituaries daily for friends croaking.

So my point is that this is natural. We're not the first generation to feel this way. We might be the first real generation of rock fans to watch this round of LEGENDS start to die in natural ways with increasing frequency because 35 years ago they were all still quite young. But we're not the first and won't be the last.

If you're not excited about the music that awaits beyond the last of your heroes clinging to life or their careers, just bask in what came before because the next wave isn't necessarily for or about you. I know that's a big freakin' pill to swallow, but it's true. If you like some of that, fine....but just like their music wasn't meant for me (and so Benny Goodman's death didn't shatter my world -- did it yours?!), mine wasn't meant for them. News of Freddie Mercury's tragic passing was met with...."Who is that that? That fellow there with the big mustache and the big front teeth? He's funny looking." You shrug and walk away, disgusted.

Parents just don't understand. ;) And now you're one of them or will be one day. We like to think we're better cooler than this, but -- collectively -- I'm afraid we're not. We're the same grumpy old curmudgeons, so just embrace it. Love what you love, but quit acting like when the last of your favorites are gone that the WORLD is as doomed as you feel. My grandparents weren't right then and we're not right now either. There are great losses all the time. Still feel the loss of Lennon and will be feeling Bowie's for a long time too. And I'm not even a fan of his really, but I'm aware of the mark he left (and I do so love some of those tracks). But the sun will rise tomorrow and someone will pick up a guitar for the first time, maybe even inspired by these tragic losses, and go on to make music you hate.

It's the way of things.

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 10

Rock music isnt as dangerous as it was back in the day. Kids today have so many other options, it just isnt music anymore.

There will always be Rock bands, but we will never see the likes of a Zeppelin, Who, Van Hlen etc..as far as being a huge part of the cultural landscape.

Parents just don't understand. ;) And now you're one of them or will be one day. We like to think we're better cooler than this, but -- collectively -- I'm afraid we're not. We're the same grumpy old curmudgeons, so just embrace it. Love what you love, but quit acting like when the last of your favorites are gone that the WORLD is as doomed as you feel. My grandparents weren't right then and we're not right now either. There are great losses all the time. Still feel the loss of Lennon and will be feeling Bowie's for a long time too. And I'm not even a fan of his really, but I'm aware of the mark he left (and I do so love some of those tracks). But the sun will rise tomorrow and someone will pick up a guitar for the first time, maybe even inspired by these tragic losses, and go on to make music you hate.

It's the way of things.

Or quite possibly music that't we'd love. Who knows?

I was thinking about this thread, with a smile, when I counted no less than 15 bands that I've never heard before in the Albums you've listened to today thread.

I realized right there that it's going to go on and on forever.

I thought to myself, "How cool is that?"

• Like 4

I was thinking about this thread, with a smile, when I counted no less than 15 bands that I've never heard before in the Albums you've listened to today thread.

it's very cool..........and i'm gonna follow it as long as I can.

Mick

• Like 3

it's very cool..........and i'm gonna follow it as long as I can.

Mick

You and me both, kind sir!

• Like 3

Mick

Keep in mind it's also an ego thing. We generally like to think we like the universally best stuff out there, especially when we don't hear much coming down the pike that we like, therefore music is suffering or declining or even awful...and once our heroes go, we're all screwed. What people of my generation don't get right now is that it's not up to us to decide. When I was BASKING in simply AWESOME music of the 1970s (and spill over from the 60s) my grandparents were in death throes over the music they liked becoming passe and rock and roll and bands like Kiss were left in the eventual wake. They thought music had died and gone straight to hell. :D Were they right or merely right unto themselves?

And I'm not saying you can't be older and like new things....or younger and be discovering the Beatles right now in 2016. Of course you can and people do. Thank God for it too. But by and large people like what they like and as that first BIG WAVE of rock GODS get into their 70s and even 80s, the mortality of it all seems hung pretty low over head. Even relatively younger rock stars are dying from disease or lifestyle or the natural turn of events. It all paints this rather gloomy picture that we're losing it all. This is how old people feel when they watch their relatives die and they read the obituaries daily for friends croaking.

So my point is that this is natural. We're not the first generation to feel this way. We might be the first real generation of rock fans to watch this round of LEGENDS start to die in natural ways with increasing frequency because 35 years ago they were all still quite young. But we're not the first and won't be the last.

If you're not excited about the music that awaits beyond the last of your heroes clinging to life or their careers, just bask in what came before because the next wave isn't necessarily for or about you. I know that's a big freakin' pill to swallow, but it's true. If you like some of that, fine....but just like their music wasn't meant for me (and so Benny Goodman's death didn't shatter my world -- did it yours?!), mine wasn't meant for them. News of Freddie Mercury's tragic passing was met with...."Who is that that? That fellow there with the big mustache and the big front teeth? He's funny looking." You shrug and walk away, disgusted.

It's the way of things.

Really good post. I usually can find something to appreciate in most music whether it be the songwriting, singer, a single instrument or even a section. It's an effort to find something good in everything. Still, it gets harder as time goes by. If you would have told 18 yo me that a day would come when I would find most metal annoying I wouldn't have believed you. The music is still amazing, better than ever. Once the vocal kick in I turn into a curmudgeon that wants it off my lawn.

• Like 1

I think the majority of the world moved from rock stars to other stars around the mid-nineties. Once Cobain and the grunge elite had made it clear they hated being famous--as well as the upcoming alternative acts following them, such as Radiohead--and Cobain himself had died, making it in the rock world suddenly became any man or woman's game, and other forms of music finally captured the majority of the world's attention as well. A lot of different forces combined to change the face of rock music as the face of pop culture changed with it, and true rock stars became much a thing of the past. Nowadays, an up-and-coming band such as Royal Blood might make a name for themselves among the rock community as a band, but even if they become rather successful and long-lasting over the next decade, the odds that the average person will know the names of the two band members are way smaller than they used to be. Even older successful bands, such as Muse or even Cage The Elephant, don't get their band members names out there as much as their music and live capabilities. I love to think of Matt Bellamy as a rockstar in my own world, but that's just how the hard core Weezer fan thinks of Rivers Cuomo, or the rabid My Chemical Romance fan thinks of Gerard Way. One of the closest things you have to a really new rock star is Nate Ruess of fun., and that's only halfway a rock band.
  • Like 1

Mick

It's the way of things.

I'm 17 and discovered the Beatles maybe 6 years ago now. Very pleased to say that classic rock will be remembered by enough of my generation to pay good respect to it. :)

Great post.

• Like 4

Mick

It's the way of things.

Really good post. I usually can find something to appreciate in most music whether it be the songwriting, singer, a single instrument or even a section. It's an effort to find something good in everything. Still, it gets harder as time goes by. If you would have told 18 yo me that a day would come when I would find most metal annoying I wouldn't have believed you. The music is still amazing, better than ever. Once the vocal kick in I turn into a curmudgeon that wants it off my lawn.

What kind of metal vocals are you talking about? The growling/cookie monster kind?

There are plenty of metal bands around now that do the clean, melodic vocals if that's what you're into.

I read this post in the "David Bowie" thread by a young man in his teens.

Posted Yesterday, 09:29 PM

"My dad and I's copy of Ziggy Stardust finally came in and I'm on my second listen through. Wow, Bowie was a master of rock and roll, in all seriousness. Every one of these sounds like a bond fide classic. Why don't I ever hear these old tunes on the radio?"

My suspicions were confirmed right there and then...

As long as there are enthusiastic discoveries such as this in all genres of rock music, then, in fact, Rock and Roll will never die.

• Like 3

My son is 13 years old. He plays the drums and is teaching himself bass guitar.

He likes/loves:

Rush

The Beatles

Kiss

Minutemen

Nirvana

Foo Fighters

Wire

Smashing Pumpkins

Barenaked Ladies

Frank Zappa

Pavement

Buzzcocks

And he's has stolen my David Bowie CDs.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

The youngest "icon" I can think of in the rock world is Dave Grohl and he's as old as my parents. There aren't really any that are from my generation. Not yet, at least.

It takes more than 22 years to become an "icon". ;)

He likes/loves:

Rush

The Beatles

Kiss

Minutemen

Nirvana

Foo Fighters

Wire

Smashing Pumpkins

Barenaked Ladies

Frank Zappa

Pavement

Buzzcocks

My point proven right there folks!

Cheers ReRushed!

He likes/loves:

Rush

The Beatles

Kiss

Minutemen

Nirvana

Foo Fighters

Wire

Smashing Pumpkins

Barenaked Ladies

Frank Zappa

Pavement

Buzzcocks

I 'kidnapped' my son when he was 14 and took him to a Rush concert as his first concert. He liked a few tunes but never really clicked with him. I told him to get in the car and didn't tell him where we were going until 30 miles down the road.

Now he's a rap and pop tart.

*sigh* I tried.

He likes/loves:

Rush

The Beatles

Kiss

Minutemen

Nirvana

Foo Fighters

Wire

Smashing Pumpkins

Barenaked Ladies

Frank Zappa

Pavement

Buzzcocks

You have been blessed! :LOL:

My son is 9, and he likes Rush, Iron Maiden, and Queen to name a few. When he's in the car with my wife, who plays some pop station, my son asks her to play "rock n roll". My wife says "this is rock n roll", and my son replies "That's not daddy's rock n roll". It brought a tear to my eye when my wife told me that story. :)

• Like 4

The youngest "icon" I can think of in the rock world is Dave Grohl and he's as old as my parents. There aren't really any that are from my generation. Not yet, at least.

Grohl hit the scene in 1991 and hasn't slowed down. I'd say he is an icon.

• Like 2

He likes/loves:

Rush

The Beatles

Kiss

Minutemen

Nirvana

Foo Fighters

Wire

Smashing Pumpkins

Barenaked Ladies

Frank Zappa

Pavement

Buzzcocks

You have been blessed! :LOL:

My son is 9, and he likes Rush, Iron Maiden, and Queen to name a few. When he's in the car with my wife, who plays some pop station, my son asks her to play "rock n roll". My wife says "this is rock n roll", and my son replies "That's not daddy's rock n roll". It brought a tear to my eye when my wife told me that story. :)

How cool is that?

• Like 3

I looked over my list and there are another half dozen or so bands I could add.

When my son's friends are over and they are playing video games in the basement my son ALWAYS plays rock music. His friends seem indifferent, but trust me, it's sinking in!

• Like 2

Grohl hit the scene in 1991 and hasn't slowed down. I'd say he is an icon.

I didn't say he wasn't. BC says that Grohl is an icon, and he's the same age as his parents. Grohl wasn't an icon when he was in his early 20s. My remark has nothing to do with Grohl, but the fact that very few people can be an icon by their early 20s.