RIP Andrew Smith, 25, key cog in two Butler Final Four teams...

laughedatbytime

Just saw him at the Crossroads Classic (on TV) watching the Bulldogs play Purdue. But when I heard Brad Stevens had left the Celtics to visit him, I knew it was just a matter of time.

Former Butler University basketball player Andrew Smith died Tuesday after a long, public battle with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and later leukemia. He was 25.

The Smith family made its struggles public not only to keep family, friends and fans informed, but to use it as a platform for their Christian faith and to increase support for causes such as bone marrow registry.

Butler players will wear a patch on their uniforms for rest of the season in Smith's honor, featuring his initials and jersey No. 44.

Smith's wife, Samantha, posted on Twitter: "Andrew peacefully passed away in his sleep and in my arms as I told him I loved him this morning. Love you always, Smith."

Samantha introduced a blog chronicling Andrew’s medical battle, kickingcancerwiththesmiths.wordpress.com. Other than family, Samantha said, Brad Stevens called or texted Andrew more than anyone. The former Butler coach visited Andrew Smith when he traveled to Indianapolis with his Boston Celtics for a Nov. 4 game against the Indiana Pacers, and left the Celtics on Thursday to travel to Indianapolis and visit Smith.

"He was special — caring, fun, smart and the toughest person I knew. Never once complained through all of his medical issues," Stevens said in a text message to IndyStar. "I'm so proud to have known him."

Stevens' voice broke during his pregame talk Tuesday night before the Celtics' game in New York against the Knicks.

"You know, I was happy that I got a chance to say goodbye," he told Boston media. "And this is really about when you coach somebody, I mean, you get a lot more out of coaching them than they do from you, so ... that's that. I mean, I don’t know. I could go on and on, and it wouldn’t do him justice."

In a statement from the Smith family, Andrew's father, Curt, said: "Andrew packed more living into his 25 years than most of us will enjoy in a full 75 years. He lived his faith, relished his family, selflessly served his wife, and pursued his passion of basketball at the highest levels."

One of Smith's former teammates, Rotnei Clarke, posted on Twitter:

"Andrew Smith was a perfect Christ-like example and an inspiration to me. He was one of the toughest guys I have ever been around. I have lost an awesome teammate, a great friend and a brother!! I know he made a difference in the lives of so many! I know for a fact he is in a better place. It was an honor to have known you and I love ya Moose."

Senior guard Kellen Dunham, who roomed with Smith on the road during his freshman season, said his former teammate would leave a legacy.

"More importantly than his wins, just his attitude and the way he lived the Butler Way, and the way he was so passionate about his faith," Dunham said, will influence players who go through the Butler program.

Second-year Butler coach Chris Holtmann did not coach Smith but came to know him later. The coach teared up when he recounted Smith's texted reply when Holtmann asked before the season if he could do anything for him.

"He said, 'Just have a great year. Just have a great year,' " Holtmann said. "We're going to do our best to do that.”

Tributes to Smith poured in from around the country, coming not only from those in the Butler family but from college basketball media, schools and conference offices.

The 6-11 Smith was a star at Covenant Christian but was not heavily recruited out of high school. He eventually accepted a scholarship offer to Butler before his senior season. He led Indiana high school players in rebounding in 2009 and was All-City Player of the Year.

Smith, Matt Howard and Joel Cornette are the only three players in Butler history with more than 100 victories and 1,000 points in a career. Smith also was an academic All-American.

Smith played little as a college freshman but came off the bench in the 2010 West Regional final against Kansas State after Howard encountered foul trouble. Smith had played a total of three minutes over the previous month but logged a season-high 12 minutes in a 63-56 victory that propelled the Bulldogs into their first Final Four.

As a sophomore, Smith was inserted as starting center, allowing Howard to move to power forward. That lineup change by Stevens was a turning point in what became the Bulldogs’ second run to the Final Four.

Butler's president James Danko said the back-to-back Final Fours gave the university a national profile.

"The move to the Big East would never have happened without that," Danko said. "Andrew was part of that team that made that happen. So his impact on the university is profound."

The Bulldogs missed the 2012 NCAA tournament. The following season, Butler beat two No. 1 seeds (Indiana and Gonzaga) and returned to the field. In a 68-56 victory against Bucknell, Smith scored 14 points and set a Butler record for an NCAA tournament game with 16 rebounds.

He and the former Samantha Stage were married in May 2013.

In an September interview, he said he thought he would be playing pro basketball until he was 30. He said he often thought it would be “weird” to know he was playing his last game. Instead, the ending was abrupt and unforeseen.

In 2013, he signed with a pro team in Lithuania. While there, an examination revealed a mass in his chest. Upon returning to Indianapolis, he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in January 2014. He lost 40 pounds because of chemotherapy but made some progress. He began work at Mina Leasing and Financial Services in July 2014.

Just four days into his new job, he went into cardiac arrest for more than 22 minutes before being revived and transported to the hospital. He was placed into a medically induced coma. He awoke four days later and did not show signs of any neurological damage.

He stayed connected to basketball last spring and summer by coaching fourth-graders for Indiana Faith, a program for basketball and spiritual training.

Smith underwent a bone marrow transplant Nov. 6. But days later, he was readmitted to the hospital after the transplant failed and his condition worsened. His wife’s blog stated the lymphoma had transformed into leukemia.

“We are worried. We are scared. We are devastated,” Samantha wrote.

She wrote that the only treatment option left was a clinical study. She added that while their doctors were fighting to make that happen, they would “need a miracle” to save her husband's life.

Smith was largely confined in recent weeks but was able to attend the Dec. 19 game, in which Butler defeated previously unbeaten Purdue 74-68 in the Crossroad Classic at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

"And it meant so much to our players," Holtmann said. "Those that played with him, and those that have come to know him through this experience. It really showed his love for this place, how connected he was to his basketball family and to his university family."

Smith was released from the hospital in time to be home for Christmas. He was readmitted Jan. 6.

He was born Sept. 9, 1990, in Washington, D.C., and spent most of his life in Zionsville.

Arrangements are pending. Memorial and funeral services will be at Traders Point Christian Church, Whitestown, where Smith was a longtime member and was baptized by his father.

He is survived by his wife, Samantha; mother, Debbie Sutter Smith; father, Curt Smith; brother, Stephen Smith, and sister-in-law, Jennifer Foley Smith; older sister, Julie Webster, brother-in-law, John Webster, all of the Indianapolis area. He also is survived by a younger sister, Kimberly Smith, of Los Angeles, who is a professional beach volleyball player. Andrew also is survived by a niece, Harper Foley Smith, a nephew, Knox Curtis Smith, and maternal grandparents, James and Nedra Sutter of Marion, Ind., as well as aunts, uncles and cousins.

Joint Statement from Butler President James Danko and Butler Vice President/Director of Athletics Barry Collier on the Passing of Andrew Smith

“The Butler community is profoundly sad today with the news of Andrew’s passing. We saw the way Andrew fought on the basketball court, and we saw the way he fought for his health. In both cases, we saw the best of Andrew Smith. But that’s what we always saw from Andrew. He gave his all, all the time. As an Academic All-American, he represented the best of Butler in the classroom and on the court. Above all else, what made Andrew special was the way that he genuinely cared for others. Within his large frame was an even larger heart. He is, was, and always will be a Bulldog. The Butler community is proud to have been part of his life, and our thoughts are with his wife, Samantha; his parents, Debbie and Curt; and the rest of his family.”

f**k cancer. RIP, Andrew... :rose: