Just got a new bass

satchmothesnowdog

12507142_10208388993192420_3029490475019335937_n.jpg?oh=cdffbe16651dd5ea560204846531a212&oe=570C0A92

:)

Well, no, but that's how I play right now. I'm self teaching and coming along slowly, but steadily. I haven't read sheet music other than drum charts since I was in high school, so it's been slow there. Figuring out where the notes are on the fretboard and trying to play some tabs has all been fun so far.

I do exercises for an hour a day on technique and learning, then either screw around or try to play some tabs for an hour

If anyone has any advice or links, I'm open to anything other than taking real lessons.

• Like 2

If anyone has any advice or links, I'm open to anything other than taking real lessons.

Learn where the notes are on the fretboard, then spend about 15 minutes of your practice time each day playing in the dark.

Why don't you want to take real lessons? It's the best way to learn.

I work eight days a week and could never find time. This is something I do at eight or nine every night and so far I've played every day since I got it a month ago.

I also downloaded all the bass lessons off Scott Grove's website and he's a really good teacher. Plus, if I'm not sure about something, I can play it over and over, without getting charged :)

He's fun and nerdy. Too bad my music teachers as a kid weren't fun.

But yeah, I'm 48 and it's a time thing with me.

• Like 1

I don't know, I took a total of one half-hour lesson ever way back when and I hated it.

The guys I know who took lessons for much longer- and mind you this isn't a giant sample I'm sure- well all they ever wanted to do was sit around and play famous riffs and covers and crap all the time. It's like they walk in and the teachers just show them how to play Stairway to Heaven or whatever and that's it. They never wanted to just go jam or make up their own songs and I think it had a lot to do with those lessons.

Could be crap teachers, but I almost think learning like this influences your playing style in a negative and un-creative way.

*shrug*

Edited by Del_Duio

I don't know, I took a total of one half-hour lesson ever way back when and I hated it.

The guys I know who took lessons for much longer- and mind you this isn't a giant sample I'm sure- well all they ever wanted to do was sit around and play famous riffs and covers and crap all the time. It's like they walk in and the teachers just show them how to play Stairway to Heaven or whatever and that's it. They never wanted to just go jam or make up their own songs and I think it had a lot to do with those lessons.

Could be crap teachers, but I almost think learning like this influences your playing style in a negative and un-creative way.

*shrug*

As a guitar teacher, I would not totally disagree with you. A good teacher is the key to having a good lesson. The issue is that the guitar is a different instrument to learn because there are so many types of guitars/guitar music that teachers usually skip over the fundamentals and the pre-requisites and get right into teaching songs that the students want to learn. Many teachers do not know these aforementioned facets of music/guitar.

There may be other reasons as well. The student wants to learn certain things and the teacher wants to retain the student. When teaching a student to play the intro solo to Fade to Black, I informed him that it was from a b minor scale and began to teach him the scale so he could improvise and write his own solo if he wanted. He told me to just teach him the solo. At the end of the day, he is the customer.

My advice to an aspiring guitar player is to find a teacher that will teach you what you want to learn...and that should be how to play music, not just how to play guitar. If he or she won't do that, move on. There are a lot of us out there.

I do have a few openings...

I've never taken a bass lesson and only a couple guitar lessons (and nothing in the past 15 years). It's not required but developing the proper habits early is important (points at own bad/lazy playing habits). Edited by stoopid

dude those pickups are crap.

Are they pickups or "drop downs" in that case?

• Like 2

I do like how it has a Fender headstock yet seems to still totally fit hahaha. Edited by Del_Duio

12507142_10208388993192420_3029490475019335937_n.jpg?oh=cdffbe16651dd5ea560204846531a212&oe=570C0A92

:)

Well, no, but that's how I play right now. I'm self teaching and coming along slowly, but steadily. I haven't read sheet music other than drum charts since I was in high school, so it's been slow there. Figuring out where the notes are on the fretboard and trying to play some tabs has all been fun so far.

I do exercises for an hour a day on technique and learning, then either screw around or try to play some tabs for an hour

if you are working an hour a day with the bass that's enough ... but you need to get in a band or at least jam with other musicians as soon as possible ... nothing takes the place of that kind of practice IMO

I'm not sure I'd want to play that unless I'm wearing rubber gloves. Just make sure your Hep A immunization is up to date. http://hepatitis.abo...hepatitis_A.htm I guarantee one thing...that's not a bass that's in Geddy's collection. Edited by 2112FirstStreet

I'm not sure I'd want to play that unless I'm wearing rubber gloves. Just make sure your Hep A immunization is up to date. http://hepatitis.abo...hepatitis_A.htm I guarantee one thing...that's not a bass that's in Geddy's collection.

ironically, the place where there should be pickups, is the place where one might drop off .. haha

• Like 2

I'm not sure I'd want to play that unless I'm wearing rubber gloves. Just make sure your Hep A immunization is up to date. http://hepatitis.abo...hepatitis_A.htm I guarantee one thing...that's not a bass that's in Geddy's collection.

ironically, the place where there should be pickups, is the place where one might drop off .. haha

Must have a piezo. :)