CD packaging

RushRevisited

Which do you prefer?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Newer Paper Jewel Case
    • Hard Plastic Jewel Case

I hate them both equally. The hard ones break easily, especially the little spindle in the middle that's supposed to hold the CD in. And of course the side pins go pretty fast. They can't survive being dropped at all.

The cardboard ones can let the CD fall out. I put Feedback in a paper sleeve, then in the cardboard one to solve that problem.

It's all part of planned obsolescence.....

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Oct 5 2004, 05:08 PM)
I hate them both equally. The hard ones break easily, especially the little spindle in the middle that's supposed to hold the CD in. And of course the side pins go pretty fast. They can't survive being dropped at all.

The cardboard ones can let the CD fall out. I put Feedback in a paper sleeve, then in the cardboard one to solve that problem.

It's all part of planned obsolescence.....

My problem is I store my CDs in a conventional rack which creates storage difficulties (biggest offender here is Feedback).

BTW, MFH come out here in standard jewel case with inner booklet, no lyrics though, just a link to the website.

Jewel cases get my vote!!.

Yea I like the paper because it looks cool and stuff.....but they get wrecked soooo much! my RIR is totally wrecked and is ripping...I have it in plastic because its in such bad condition....and feedback is p*ssing me off because it won't fit!!! I like the jewel cases better.....even they break just as much as the paper ones.....but the jewel cases get my vote!!

I like the standard size jewel cases. Simply because of the durability factor and also because they fit in cd towers!

I had to go for Jewel cases. I dont really like the Jewel cases for the fact that they do tend to break or crack very easily, and if some idiot in marketing puts a sticker on em, they leave that sticker smudge forever. But I am also not a fan of the paper. The paper tends to wear down around the corners if you use it too much, and is a lot easier to tear. If this happens, there is no repair. At least with the jewel cases, you can always get a new jewel case and put the inserts into it.

arrghhh!! the paper may look wicked cool (there's my MA slang for y'all again), but the Feedback CD does not fit in my CD tower here at the house. it's sitting in the case like this : lll\llll with the rest of the CD's. Verrrry annoying. pokey.gif And i concur, RR, that they wear out too quickly, and they also dent very easily if you're not careful. At least with the plastic cases, if they crack you can buy a new one to replace it....

I've got to vote for the plastic jewell cases. Like many others, I found the size of the Feedback packaging irritating. However, can I just say that I do like the digipacks - especially the Different Stages one.

you know, i had to go with the paper. Nothing worse than when a CD case breaks, or those teeth in the middle chip off. Ofcourse, i don't use CD towers and such...so i can see that argument. Plus, why do they have to make it such a pain in the @ss to open a new CD?

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Oct 5 2004, 07:33 PM)
you know, i had to go with the paper. Nothing worse than when a CD case breaks, or those teeth in the middle chip off. Ofcourse, i don't use CD towers and such...so i can see that argument. Plus, why do they have to make it such a pain in the @ss to open a new CD?

I agree on being a pain in the ass to open, but for example the Geddy Lee My Favorite Headache CD, it is paper, but has "teeth" inside to hold to CD - my teeth broke off the first day I got it, so the disc now always falls out when I open the cover.

Make mine plastic. I take the discs out of the paper cases and put them in plastic cases so they fit in my CD tower. I know, "you'll lose them." I keep the paper cases all in one place so they don't get separated. I know the cases are in a safe place I'm just worried about damaging the CD's. I read somewhere that Ged prefers the paper sleeves. confused13.gif

I like plastic. It's bulkier, bad for the environment, takes decades to decompose, and seagulls can choke on them.

Oh wait, those are the six-pack thingys that hold the beer cans together. Sorry, let's try that again...

I like plastic. It's bulkier, bad for the environment, takes decades to decompose, and seagulls can choke on them.

No, now I'm talking about shopping bags. What is this thread about? Ahhhh...CD cases. I like the plastic jewel cases. Yes, they can break, but you can go to your local store and buy a ten-pack of new ones for like three bucks and replace the broken ones. And because they fly better when you throw them at seagulls.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 7 2004, 09:36 AM)

Oh wait, those are the six-pack thingys that hold the beer cans together. Sorry, let's try that again...

No, now I'm talking about shopping bags. What is this thread about? Ahhhh...CD cases. I like the plastic jewel cases. Yes, they can break, but you can go to your local store and buy a ten-pack of new ones for like three bucks and replace the broken ones. And because they fly better when you throw them at seagulls.

tongue.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Classic

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 7 2004, 09:36 AM)

tongue.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

The jewel cases and definitely convenient as far as being a standard size and so easily replaced, but after all these years I'm kind of bored with them. Some of the options for paper packaging available now are pretty slick, like the Digipaks and Eco-Wallets and such. As a side note, the CD manufacturing company I deal with is now offering replicated discs made out of black polycarbonate with a black top and bottom surface, so that the CD almost looks like a vinyl record complete with "grooves" but still plays just like any other CD. I'm still trying to decide if it's retro cool or just hokey, LOL.

Archived