Did You Like the Clockwork Angels String Ensemble?

DirkPrattLerxst

Did You Like the String Ensemble During the CA Tour?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Did You Like The Strings on the CA Tour?

• Yes
    • No

Personally, I did not like it.

The ensemble put on a good show. But they were totally unnecessary.

Rush had always been about three people performing great music, period.

The addition of the string section smacked of Yes' Symphonic tour, which I thought was terrible, because Yes was always about five people performing great music.

Personally, I did not like it.

The ensemble put on a good show. But they were totally unnecessary.

Rush had always been about three people performing great music, period.

The addition of the string section smacked of Yes' Symphonic tour, which I thought was terrible, because Yes was always about five people performing great music.

Why do you hate string ensembles?

Not particularly. Didn't hate them, but thought they were entirely redundant.

i couldn't even really hear them on the finished product.

on bootlegs they were fine. wouldn't have missed them either though.

Mick

• Like 1

I thought the strings added a good and interesting new element to the music (especially the CA material.) What do you guys think?

Oh yeah baby! This thread is right up my alley! Now before I get negative I just want to say that this ensemble is VERY talented!!! Now saying that, they have absolutely no business being with RUSH on stage! I think it was a waste of time and especially dollars on the band's end. I can see them doing "Manhattan Project" with the orchestra but that's about it. They didn't do "Losing It" on that tour so that was pointless. I thought the orchestra was tacky in the back there. They were all wearing those lame black t shirts with stupid gold cheesy symbols. I know Neil created those stupid shirts but man it just didn't work for me. When I pay my hard earned cash to see my favorite band in the world I want to see the three of them by themselves! Not with some ticky tacky group of unknown talented musicians. So yep, I voted NO! Someone else did too. Glad I am not alone.

F(#&% yes! I thought the ensemble was great. They added dimension to so many songs, and because of them I was able to really appreciate the Power Windows songs for the first time. Sure, Rush could have played those songs on their own, triggering the string samples, but it was much more "real" having the ensemble play them, and they did not detract from Rush's performance at all.

A++, would see again!

• Like 3

F(#&% yes! I thought the ensemble was great. They added dimension to so many songs, and because of them I was able to really appreciate the Power Windows songs for the first time. Sure, Rush could have played those songs on their own, triggering the string samples, but it was much more "real" having the ensemble play them, and they did not detract from Rush's performance at all.

A++, would see again!

Hahahaha! You and I actually don't agree on something!!! I love it! I would NEVER see it again.

I thought it was cool to make the CS songs authentic, and to enhance classics like Red Sector and Manhattan Project.
  • Like 1

I thought the strings added a good and interesting new element to the music (especially the CA material.) What do you guys think?

Oh yeah baby! This thread is right up my alley! Now before I get negative I just want to say that this ensemble is VERY talented!!! Now saying that, they have absolutely no business being with RUSH on stage! I think it was a waste of time and especially dollars on the band's end. I can see them doing "Manhattan Project" with the orchestra but that's about it. They didn't do "Losing It" on that tour so that was pointless. I thought the orchestra was tacky in the back there. They were all wearing those lame black t shirts with stupid gold cheesy symbols. I know Neil created those stupid shirts but man it just didn't work for me. When I pay my hard earned cash to see my favorite band in the world I want to see the three of them by themselves! Not with some ticky tacky group of unknown talented musicians. So yep, I voted NO! Someone else did too. Glad I am not alone.

If someone had told me previous to 2010 or so that Rush would be touring with an orchestral ensemble I would have laughed at them and said no way. They're too cool for that. I think it worked out okay but it still wasn't my favorite thing. In a way they are very fortunate to have fans that pretty much accept anything they do. Especially lately.

What's the difference between Geddy and Alex futzing with the knobs at their feet (triggers, or whatever they are called) and having a string ensemble? :huh:

With all of the added bass and guitar and vocal parts triggered, they ceased a while back being "just a trio."

• Like 6

There was enough bitching about the set list. Imagine how it would have been without the strings. Blech, same old Dreamline, Blech, same old YYZ. At this age, the guys aren't very animated on stage. The strings added something new and interesting to the show. The CA songs would have been flat without them.
  • Like 1

There was enough bitching about the set list. Imagine how it would have been without the strings. Blech, same old Dreamline, Blech, same old YYZ. At this age, the guys aren't very animated on stage. The strings added something new and interesting to the show. The CA songs would have been flat without them.

I get what you are saying. It worked for the CA stuff. But I'm old school and YYZ never gets old. Leave it the hell alone! I love "Dreamline" as is too. That song isn't the same because Alex saves the day with a longer guitar solo. Screw the orchestra! JMO

I think most really appreciated it at a minimum as something cool and different than all the other tours.

• Like 1

What's the difference between Geddy and Alex futzing with the knobs at their feet (triggers, or whatever they are called) and having a string ensemble? :huh:

With all of the added bass and guitar and vocal parts triggered, they ceased a while back being "just a trio."

Geddy answered this in an interview decades ago. He said that there was something special about them triggering those devices themselves and being alone just the 3 of them up there. HE said there's a difference THEN. Obviously, he had a change of heart from that time.