Did You Like the Clockwork Angels String Ensemble?

DirkPrattLerxst

Did You Like the String Ensemble During the CA Tour?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Did You Like The Strings on the CA Tour?

• Yes
    • No

Not particularly. Didn't hate them, but thought they were entirely redundant.

I thought they did a good job but I much prefer just seeing the 3 guys up there. And if they have someone else up there, I am fine if it's in much more of a limited capacity (like Losing It on the R40 tour).

I can't imagine them ever getting away with having a string section years ago. (if they'd added one for effect) It's only because after this amount of time the fans are much more tolerant of what they do now.

I'm honestly not sure what having the string ensemble does to detract from the show. It's not like the band was going to play the string parts by hand otherwise. If the ensemble didn't do it, it would've just been another pedal. Having real musicians there performing the parts live I think adds much more to the show than just another trigger. Just my two cents.

I agree completely. Plus, the ensemble were there for less than half the show, so they were by no means "taking over" or anything.

Yeah. I thought they were a great addition.

• Like 2

I thought they did a good job but I much prefer just seeing the 3 guys up there. And if they have someone else up there, I am fine if it's in much more of a limited capacity (like Losing It on the R40 tour).

I can't imagine them ever getting away with having a string section years ago. (if they'd added one for effect) It's only because after this amount of time the fans are much more tolerant of what they do now.

I'm honestly not sure what having the string ensemble does to detract from the show. It's not like the band was going to play the string parts by hand otherwise. If the ensemble didn't do it, it would've just been another pedal. Having real musicians there performing the parts live I think adds much more to the show than just another trigger. Just my two cents.

I think the point is that they were never the type of band that would do something like that. Going to a Rush show was about seeing them, not some girl in a skimpy outfit.

• Like 2

I think the point is that they were never the type of band that would do something like that. Going to a Rush show was about seeing them, not some girl in a skimpy outfit.

Agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

My first time reading this thread

Again, fully agree

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

The appeal for a lot of fans - or, perhaps I should just speak for myself - is ( was ) how RUSH was so uncatagorizable, yet accessible and meaningful to ME .. There was an unspoken bond that we were simply unable to pinpoint ...

Three mysterious and odd characters creating music and sounds and cinematic mental images without being overbearing - there was no "mass appeal" for me, as RUSH was a very personal part of life .. The vibe the band had early on was incredible and otherworldly .. They were up there doing their thing, out there in left field, and yet, I soaked it all up and it drew me in ..

And here we have nameless ensemble musicians up there, acting like the hired crowd at an MTV awards show, and the old curmudgeon fans like myself are supposed to like this shit ??

Stop, please

But I can't complain as most of that great RUSH vibe went out the window with the attempts at humor in the videos and the washing machines and things they did to pander to the crowd

• Like 1

Unlike "hired crowds at an MTV awards show" the String Ensemble was part of the talent on show contributing to the sound coming form the stage, its no different than Pink Floyd or Rolling Stones having 20 hired hands to augment their sound on stage when they tour, the difference is this was a one time thing and perfectly in context with the album being toured.

Hearing different arrangements of songs is not a new thing, what with the "unplugged" series, bands playing with symphonies, etc.

I like the Metallica thing with San Francisco Symphony a lot, but a it's a very occasional listen, when I want to hear Master of Puppets it's not what I'll pull out and listen to.

So yeah, I liked it, but would I like to have seen them do that on every tour ? No.

• Like 2

But you still saw them, it's not like they disappeared. There was just a new sound on stage as well.

Unlike "hired crowds at an MTV awards show" the String Ensemble was part of the talent on show contributing to the sound coming form the stage, its no different than Pink Floyd or Rolling Stones having 20 hired hands to augment their sound on stage when they tour, the difference is this was a one time thing and perfectly in context with the album being toured.

Hearing different arrangements of songs is not a new thing, what with the "unplugged" series, bands playing with symphonies, etc.

I like the Metallica thing with San Francisco Symphony a lot, but a it's a very occasional listen, when I want to hear Master of Puppets it's not what I'll pull out and listen to.

So yeah, I liked it, but would I like to have seen them do that on every tour ? No.

All very valid points, and true

But I never bonded with Pink Floyd, The Stones or Metallica like I did with Rush

I am not complaining though .. Rush gave me some of the most intense and personal experiences back in the day, and I suppose the magic in that is that it was a particular place and time in my life .. I cannot expect that to repeat itself

Liked it a lot....got over the whole "its gotta be only those three guys damnit" phase a long time ago.....for every tour ? No. But it certainly made sense with CA as something like oh 9 of 11 songs had string arangements written and credited as such (can't remember his name now)..... edit- David Campbell who I think worked with Porcupine Tree as well...and those musicans aren't so nameless necesarily outside of general rock circles....in some ways playing with classical players has to make you up your game a bit. I see it as collaboration and enhancement....Dreamline was amazing with those real string runs...CA sounded great as well.....and Rush did it better than some bands where it was entirely 100% cheese factory..... Edited by JBsDWdrums
  • Like 3

And here we have nameless ensemble musicians up there, acting like the hired crowd at an MTV awards show, and the old curmudgeon fans like myself are supposed to like this shit ??......But I can't complain as most of that great RUSH vibe went out the window with the attempts at humor in the videos and the washing machines and things they did to pander to the crowd

I didn't see them acting like someone off MTV, they were playing parts that were on the CA record, to play them without the strings wouldn't have sounded so good. I thought it added a bit more drama to the whole set and that's what CA was to me, dramatic. :popcorn: :musicnote:

As for the washing machines and the funny videos, I have heard Geddy say on numerous occasions that they were doing that for their enjoyment, not for the crowd. I laughed my head off when he did the pirates bit in R30 and while the chickens were a bit weird, it was hilarious.

Like someone else said, it was a chance for them to stretch a bit and try something different. I am glad they saved Losing it for R40, it made it more special IMHO :)

• Like 3

Liked it a lot....got over the whole "its gotta be only those three guys damnit" phase a long time ago.....for every tour ? No. But it certainly made sense with CA as something like oh 9 of 11 songs had string arangements written and credited as such (can't remember his name now)..... edit- David Campbell who I think worked with Porcupine Tree as well...and those musicans aren't so nameless necesarily outside of general rock circles....in some ways playing with classical players has to make you up your game a bit. I see it as collaboration and enhancement....Dreamline was amazing with those real string runs...CA sounded great as well.....and Rush did it better than some bands where it was entirely 100% cheese factory.....

Once you hear that Dreamline, the others fall flat. The strings, added to that song, made an already great song better.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2