• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#21 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 13745 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

I think ReRushed said it best in the "albums" thread when he said, "Their legacy is cemented."

I agree with this as it pertains to KISS 1974-1979.

Everything else from that point on is hit and miss for me.

Sponsored Post

#22 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11161 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 04 January 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

I am up for listening to Kiss!

Where is a good place to start? Destroyer?

Segue, the history of KISS makes listening more intriguing ... Destroyer ( their 4th studio album ) came out on the heels of Alive! which was a huge, and completely unexpected, success .... But going into the recording of Destroyer, Alive! had not yet begun to light up the charts as it eventually did .... KISS was at the end of their first contract with Casablanca Records, and unbelievably, the band had not been paid any royalties up until that point - all the money from the record company and from their die-hard manager Bill Aucoin went into touring ..

KISS started legal action against Casablanca because they had not been paid, and literally 3 days after this action was started, Alive! began to take off ... Bill Aucion himself ( the manager ) had secured Bob Ezrin for production of Destroyer using his own money, hoping to take the album and shop it to other lables ...

When Alive! hit it big, Casablanca finally paid the band, and Destroyer was finished ... It was a considered a huge risk, both financially and musically, as it was a departure from KISS' raw, stripped down sound ..

IMHO, Destroyer is a classic among classics

The 2012 remix by Ezrin himself is the best IMHO

Edited by Lucas, 04 January 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#23 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18783 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

Kiss albums are a wonderful adventure. Great hooks and some very good songs. Unbridled escapism. Yes, some of their music is embarrassingly cheesy, but under the right circumstances even the embarrassingly cheesy is great. Don't take Kiss too seriously and you will have some serious fun.

#24 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18783 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 04 January 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

I think ReRushed said it best in the "albums" thread when he said, "Their legacy is cemented."

The first two Alive albums are all the proof you need, IMHO.

#25 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7245 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

From the debut up to Dynasty they were unstoppable. One of the true American greats.

#26 Na na na

Na na na

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2055 posts
  • Interests:Music, cooking, wine, fine clothing, wet shaving, traveling & football (soccer)

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:52 PM

I love everything Kiss (1974) - Killers (1982)

#27 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30310 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 04 January 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

I love every album up to "Creatures Of The Night."  So for me once they removed the face paint their albums became hit or miss!  "Hot In The Shade" and "Crazy Nights" are just garbage to me.

#28 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30310 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

View PostNa na na, on 04 January 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

I love everything Kiss (1974) - Killers (1982)
  I love "KILLERS" too!   LOVE,  IRON MAIDEN

#29 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30310 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:32 PM

View PostTurbine Freight, on 04 January 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

From the debut up to Dynasty they were unstoppable. One of the true American greats.
So smarty pants since you are overseas, who is your favorite American Rock Band?   Van Halen? The Doors? KISS?  Cheap Trick? Aerosmith?  Motley Crue? RATT? Y&T?

#30 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Football, hockey, cycling, golf, music

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

I love all the old stuff up to and including Music From The Elder. I saw them in Milwaukee, on the Destroyer tour and from the front row for Dynasty. This was the very last show of the original line-up before Peter left the band the first time... The Sports Arena in Toledo, OH.  A long, cold day outside in December to among the very first to get into the venue for a true "general admission" show.  I only remember the moment that Gene rose up from the stage floor and started his antics and using up the one roll of 110 "Instamatic" film I had with me in less than two songs (except for remembering to save one shot to catch Gene's fire breathing, which I did pretty well).  At the end of the show, Paul place his destroyed guitar into my hands but I was immediately mobbed and the thing got ripped from my grasp.  I did end up with one of Gene's picks from the night but that has long since been lost. I wish I knew then how important music and the memorabilia would end up later in my life and I would have fought harder to keep Paul's guitar and would never have let Gene's pick and the ticket stuff from that night vaporize.  I do still have the bootleg T-shirt that I bought out in the parking lot after the show... it has Rock 'n' Roll Over cover art on a yellow-sleeved T that is now thread-bare but still fun to show off to anybody who knows the good old days of the band... Good times... Rock ON!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 MMCXII

MMCXII

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6215 posts
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

I'd feel better about this thread if it was "The Official Pre-1979 Kiss Thread".. sorry just be'n an ass here lol

I used to Love Kiss when I was  kid, they were the best thing ever! Reminds me, are there any decent videos of their early-mid 70's shows in existence??

#32 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 13745 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:54 PM

View PostHuge Ackman, on 04 January 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

I love all the old stuff up to and including Music From The Elder. I saw them in Milwaukee, on the Destroyer tour and from the front row for Dynasty. This was the very last show of the original line-up before Peter left the band the first time... The Sports Arena in Toledo, OH.  A long, cold day outside in December to among the very first to get into the venue for a true "general admission" show.  I only remember the moment that Gene rose up from the stage floor and started his antics and using up the one roll of 110 "Instamatic" film I had with me in less than two songs (except for remembering to save one shot to catch Gene's fire breathing, which I did pretty well).  At the end of the show, Paul place his destroyed guitar into my hands but I was immediately mobbed and the thing got ripped from my grasp.  I did end up with one of Gene's picks from the night but that has long since been lost. I wish I knew then how important music and the memorabilia would end up later in my life and I would have fought harder to keep Paul's guitar and would never have let Gene's pick and the ticket stuff from that night vaporize.  I do still have the bootleg T-shirt that I bought out in the parking lot after the show... it has Rock 'n' Roll Over cover art on a yellow-sleeved T that is now thread-bare but still fun to show off to anybody who knows the good old days of the band... Good times... Rock ON!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Great Story Huge! I still have my ticket stub (and Cheap Trick tour book) from the 13 July 1979 gig at Pontiac Silverdome and much of the memorabilia from those days. (The two comic books, KISS cards, posters, photos, etc.) What a magical time it was.

#33 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18783 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:55 PM

I once owned a copy of the Kiss comic book. Sadly, now I do not. :(

#34 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 13745 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:56 PM

View PostMMCXII, on 04 January 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

I'd feel better about this thread if it was "The Official Pre-1979 Kiss Thread".. sorry just be'n an ass here lol

I used to Love Kiss when I was  kid, they were the best thing ever! Reminds me, are there any decent videos of their early-mid 70's shows in existence??
I agree...classic line up. (Except you are not an ass). I can't quite recognize KISS as the same KISS after Dynasty.

#35 MMCXII

MMCXII

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6215 posts
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 04 January 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 04 January 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

I am up for listening to Kiss!

Where is a good place to start? Destroyer?
Two places...

"Destroyer" "Rock and Roll Over" "Love Gun"

Then

"Kiss" "Hotter Than Hell" "Dressed to Kill"

...that's the best of the best.

You just listed 6 out of the 7 albums my older brother owned back in the day which I listened to whenever he wasn't home lol. The other was Alive II! All decent stuff!

Edited by MMCXII, 04 January 2016 - 06:57 PM.

#36 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11161 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, great stuff !!!!!!

Thank you for posting the pics too !

#37 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18783 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 04 January 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

I agree...classic line up. (Except you are not an ass). I can't quite recognize KISS as the same KISS after Dynasty.
Obviously, they are not the same Kiss. Kiss became what is basically a franchise. It as if the Beatles continued without George and Ringo. It ain't the same. But, honestly, some of it is good. I never had the fortune of seeing the original line-up during the 1970s. Talk about a dream gig! But I did see Kiss two summers ago and I was thoroughly entertained.

#38 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11161 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:04 PM

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 04 January 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Great Story Huge! I still have my ticket stub (and Cheap Trick tour book) from the 13 July 1979 gig at Pontiac Silverdome and much of the memorabilia from those days. (The two comic books, KISS cards, posters, photos, etc.) What a magical time it was.

July 13th was 11 days before I saw them - and you got Cheap Trick ?!?!?!  .. That is fantastic

The band New England opened when I saw them July 24th at MSG .. I had no idea about opening bands, and when New England came out, I was like "HOLY SH!T, THEY ARE NOT WEARING THE MAKEUP" lol ..

#39 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 13745 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

OK, so here's the question I would have ask when I was 12 years old... Who is (was) your favourite member of KISS growing up?

#40 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11161 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:12 PM

I love the Cobo Hall shows from Jan 1976 ... Very raw, but total energy .. People rip them for the claims of overdubs on Alive!, but as you can see at the beginning of this video, Paul mic wouldn't stay put ... They just didn;t have tons of money at that point, and with everything that went on onstage, overdubs here and there are understandable

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Love The Cat and The Duck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users