It's A BASS OFF Brothers And Sisters!!! If You Vote For Geddy Then You Are Just A Homer With No Spine But I Get It! BASS WARS! THE FORCE AWAKENS!

RUSHHEAD666

BASS ON BASS OFF!! Who Is The All Time Greatest Bass Player In Your Mind?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Let's Go Fishing For Some BASS! Pick The Greatest Bass Player In The World!! "DEAD OR ALIVE!" A Bon Jovi Song? UGH!

• The Ox
    • Jaco Pastorius
    • Geddy Lee
    • Les Claypool
    • Steve Harris
    • Victor Wooten
    • Anthony Jackson
    • Glenn Hughes
    • Lemmy Kilmister
    • John Wetton
    • Chris Squire
    • Roger Waters
    • Norwood Fisher
    • Stanley Clarke
    • Mike Rutherford
    • Pete Trewavas
    • Pete Way
    • Rudy Sarzo
    • Gene Simmons
    • Colin Edwin
    • Phil Lynott
    • Sting
    • Flea
    • Paul McCartney
    • Peter Baltes
    • Billy Sheehan
    • Tony Levin
    • Geezer Butler

All of this bass talk lately has really inspired me tonight.

I mean let's look at the facts.

Lemmy has just passed away. Devastating.

I just wrote a Jaco Pastorius Thread thanks to the new awesome Documentary and Geddy speaks on it.

Mic wrote a thread about Geddy's bass lines on "Hold Your Fire."

The bass is a brilliant instrument and as a drummer I love following it. Sort of like a beautiful woman. LOL

Anyway, let's get to work.

Now I am not going to list every single bass player in the world so if you have another bassist who you think is better than the ones in the poll then please feel free to list him, or her!

I don't remember her name but the bass player who tours with Jeff Beck is fukking fantastic!

BASS ON!!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Of those choices, I'd have to pick Jaco. He was the most technically proficient. Wouldn't call any of them the best bassists in the world though.
  • Like 1

Of those choices, I'd have to pick Jaco. He was the most technically proficient. Wouldn't call any of them the best bassists in the world though.

Wow! I am very impressed with your choice!!!! He was "The Natural."

Signed,

Robert Redford

• Like 1

I don't know enough to know who is the best technically. I have always liked the way Geddy and The Ox sound with their bands.

Earl, my brother in law would say, "Where is the Phil Zone?" He loves Phil Lesh and the Grateful Dead. I'm not that big on them. :)

I don't know enough to know who is the best technically. I have always liked the way Geddy and The Ox sound with their bands.

Earl, my brother in law would say, "Where is the Phil Zone?" He loves Phil Lesh and the Grateful Dead. I'm not that big on them. :)

Hey! I'm with you! I can't stand the Dead. The funny thing here is that I am a HUGE Y&T fan. They are a local Bay Area band from the Seventies and they ROCKED!

They are still playing but it's not the same.

When I saw your "Phil Zone" quote I thought of Phil Kennemore. The bass player of Y&T. He passed away many years ago. He's amazing.

I should have added him and Lesh.

I know I missed many incredible bass players.

• Like 1

Ged and Entwistle are the two that are the most similar I think (one influenced by the other anyway), and I would choose both Geddy and Entwistle in a heartbeat.

I'd also pick Squire.

Steve Harris gets a nod though I wouldn't call him the best. 'Arry plays his bass like a rhythm guitarist, and he's a fantastic songwriter and composer, but I can't pick him at the top.

• Like 2

Can I vote for multiple? This can't be answered with only one since they play so many different styles.

I wish the system would allow that option. Hey 73, is it possible to add a feature where a forum member can select a multiple choice of selections instead of just one?

I agree BC, hence a tough poll.

I haven't voted yet.

Ged and Entwistle are the two that are the most similar I think (one influenced by the other anyway), and I would choose both Geddy and Entwistle in a heartbeat.

I'd also pick Squire.

Steve Harris gets a nod though I wouldn't call him the best. 'Arry plays his bass like a rhythm guitarist, and he's a fantastic songwriter and composer, but I can't pick him at the top.

I like it.

I think The OX should win simply because he was before everyone.

Should I have plugged in Paul McCartney?

Squire doesn't move me like most of you on here. Don't know why I never pay attention to his bass lines. They seem faint to me. Like Myung and Newsted.

To me he's like Steve Harris in that he plays like a lead guitarist on bass whereas Harris plays like a rhythm guitarist on bass.

• Like 1

My favorite bassist is Geddy

But put this guy in a studio, and he comes out with the best, most consistent and timeless music .. Hands down

http://2t5gov38huz83juqqb47lte1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/phil-lynott1.jpg

• Like 4

Squire doesn't move me like most of you on here. Don't know why I never pay attention to his bass lines. They seem faint to me. Like Myung and Newsted.

To me he's like Steve Harris in that he plays like a lead guitarist on bass whereas Harris plays like a rhythm guitarist on bass.

Ok that makes sense my friend.

I will try and go back into the YES catalog and listen to the bass lines.

Funny, I listened to 90125 three days ago and I absolutely loved it.

I was going to thread about it but I didn't think it was worth it.

90125 is an amazing prog pop record. I love the harmonies and the vocals.

But put this guy in a studio, and he comes out with the best, most consistent and timeless music .. Hands down

http://2t5gov38huz83juqqb47lte1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/phil-lynott1.jpg

Thanks for the wake up! Too many to remember! Just cheated and added him

• Like 1

Now there was a legend.

• Like 2

Now there was a legend.

Amen!

Glad I did vote yet but I think you can change your vote anyway.

How dare I forget the Legend. Especially after last night's fun talking about the new 700 Lizzy songs!!!

Give me some bass players and I will add them. I am opened minded.

I had to add a few of more. I just love ACCEPT so had to put down Peter Baltes. He is so underrated. Just listen to "Neon Nights."

Sheehan

• Like 1

Give me some bass players and I will add them. I am opened minded.

I had to add a few of more. I just love ACCEPT so had to put down Peter Baltes. He is so underrated. Just listen to "Neon Nights."

Sheehan

Jesus! I started Pandora's Bass, I mean Box here!

Billy RULES!

Especially in Talas and David Lee Roth Band.

Not a Mr. Big Fan but he is amazing.

Great in Winery Dogs. Saw them live once.

Hey! I'm with you! I can't stand the Dead. The funny thing here is that I am a HUGE Y&T fan. They are a local Bay Area band from the Seventies and they ROCKED!

They are still playing but it's not the same.

When I saw your "Phil Zone" quote I thought of Phil Kennemore. The bass player of Y&T. He passed away many years ago. He's amazing.

I should have added him and Lesh.

I know I missed many incredible bass players.

Lesh was pretty bad ass. True story.

In the early 2000's my mom worked for Barnes and Noble and Lesh came in to do a signing at her store. She was setting up the event and she was talking to him, saying she always wanted to take me to a Grateful Dead show. Not really being a fan at that time, I kinda blew it off, but I had been a fan by the so I always wished I had gone. She told him I was a fan of his and I wanted a copy of the book signed. The inscription reads...

Dear Craig,

Always listen to your Mother,

Phil Lesh

• Like 3

Mr Paul Chambers

Ultimate feel, time and tempo. Exploratory yet rooted in the blues.

Maybe also Michael Manring. Quite possibly Dave Holland.

Love the nod to Norwood Fisher of Fishbone. When Problems Arise!!

but Geddy, cuz not only did he sing as well, he played keyboards with his hands and feet and moved his microphone with his nose! ;)

• Like 2