Italians, is it "sauce" or "gravy"?

Okay, I've heard that some Italians call sauce "gravy". A friend of mine, who comes from an Italian family, says it is not, nor ever will be called gravy.

If you are Italian (or not), can you shed some light on this?

Not Italian, so if I have spaghetti with meat sauce, that's what I call it. Gravy traditionally has some kind of meat/poultry product in it. That is my take on it.

I've heard that calling it gravy is a New Jersey thing, but I don't really know . . .

Makes sense. The Italian word is "salsa". It stands to reason that Jersey-based Italian Americans are dumb enough to call it "gravy". No offense to any gumbas out there.
  • Like 3

Is that the guy that was a pedo?

Yep...but a great cook. Nothing wrong with NAMBLA right?

My NAMBLA cookbook is well worn.

We know who you voted for last election

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/sites/default/files/images/a_story_rww/nambla_for_obama.jpg

The various parts of Italy are quite different. I don't know the answer but I wouldn't be surprised if the south of Italy and the north had different terms for a lot of things.
  • Like 3

The various parts of Italy are quite different. I don't know the answer but I wouldn't be surprised if the south of Italy and the north had different terms for a lot of things.

You are correct. The regions are night and day in many respects to the cuisine. It's kinda like every other country

Is that the guy that was a pedo?

Yep...but a great cook. Nothing wrong with NAMBLA right?

My NAMBLA cookbook is well worn.

We know who you voted for last election

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/sites/default/files/images/a_story_rww/nambla_for_obama.jpg

http://ryandeiss.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/ThrowUpBunny.jpg
  • Like 3

You are correct. The regions are night and day in many respects to the cuisine. It's kinda like every other country

If you look at a map of languages spoken in the various parts of the country it's pretty amazing.

• Like 1

Spain has four distinct official languages. Spanish (Castellano), Gallego, Catalan and Basque (Euskera).
  • Like 1

I've heard that calling it gravy is a New Jersey thing, but I don't really know . . .

Makes sense. The Italian word is "salsa". It stands to reason that Jersey-based Italian Americans are dumb enough to call it "gravy". No offense to any gumbas out there.

Your posts are always worth the read :laughing guy:

It confused the shit out of me when I first had salsa. I spoke Italian until I was five and never was exposed to much messican food, them my grandmother had made some salsa with tomatoes and jalapenos from her garden and I was like what the f**k is this?

OK< who cares, it's good :)

• Like 1

My Sicilian grandmother (who was born in Cleveland but grew up in LA) and her sisters made sauce. Big pots of sauce. With meatballs, sausage and brijole (thin meat rolled with egg and vegetables tied together) all cooking in the sauce.
  • Like 2

3c9bf4ea5ac141068e6d3d873a19a1ed.jpg

Lasagna

0b45dc8e33191f257cb2a31f9028acd0.jpg

Sausage and peppers

9df5769724ca4dcca565929b78daa23a.jpg

stuffed veal ribs

5a4a6059a8c187a259d2a9685bffd6b9.jpg

Ravioli

735565ef5ccdc04cc56a2757d5a7f9cd.jpg

Braciole (sorry blurry)

All with sauce, no friggin gravy

From our annual Dago fest with all the cousins right after Thanksgiving

Oh yeah, don't forget the fried eggplant :)

c8117f0107a8915fc4e1405205243b92.jpg

I'll start with the sausage and peppers please.
  • Like 3