R is for Rush: Recording & Mixing R40 Live

r40 live

24 replies to this topic

#21 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

They have got nothing on my Zoom hand held recorder and Sonos interface and Audacity program.Also what's wrong with a reel to reel tape deck in the back of a Kombi,King Crimson did it with Earthbound.These guys should get a life.Seriously,I have a pile of Audio Technical magazines from the last ten years and the advances in recording technology are amazing.To the average person reading the article they would be lost with all the terminology and processors used.I must admit I had to reread many of the passages to follow what was been done.Also scouring through my mags to read reviews of FATSO compressors etc.It all comes back to the ears of the person fiddling the knobs.This team should have been used for previous efforts not mentioning  anything.I like how they virtually didn't have to do anything to Ged's bass.'Leave That Thing Alone!'.

Edited by grasbo, 04 January 2016 - 02:40 PM.

Sponsored Post

#22 RollTheBiff

RollTheBiff

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:recording, mixing, mastering, guitar, harmonica, bass, drums, loops, heavy metal, arcade, nintendo

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

Interesting read. I'm surprised they used samples underneath the drums - seems like a bit of unnecessary cheating. I don't feel rock drums are Botrill's strong suit.

I like Richard Chycki's mixes except CA tour which was pretty muddy.

R40 sounds pretty good to me since I did not like Botrill's Vapor Trails mix. I felt his production skills suited a singer focused approach like his work with Peter Gabriel. In VT Remixed, the vocals were mixed too loud. Too much wet delay and reverb. He squashed the life out of the snare to an inorganic splat, and completely rearranging the vocal parts (secret touch and ceiling unlimited) was annoying.

Edited by RollTheBiff, 05 January 2016 - 02:13 PM.

#23 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

View PostRollTheBiff, on 05 January 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

Interesting read. I'm surprised they used samples underneath the drums - seems like a bit of unnecessary cheating. I don't feel rock drums are Botrill's strong suit.

I like Richard Chycki's mixes except CA tour which was pretty muddy.

R40 sounds pretty good to me since I did not like Botrill's Vapor Trails mix. I felt his production skills suited a singer focused approach like his work with Peter Gabriel. In VT Remixed, the vocals were mixed too loud. Too much wet delay and reverb. He squashed the life out of the snare to an inorganic splat, and completely rearranging the vocal parts (secret touch and ceiling unlimited) was annoying.
Sampling on the drums is a surprise and i feel getting a bit anal.As I said before'Leave  That Thing Alone!

#24 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1412 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:00 PM

While the mix is much better on this release - all those drum mics and they missed Neil's china cymbal!  It's conspicuously absent at the end of Subdivisions and all of the other "china" moments that every Rush drummer knows...   He's hitting it in the video, it just doesn't make it in the mix  :(

#25 thombytor

thombytor

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

I'm also disapointed w R40 mix...drum sound not acceptable, toms missing and all overall it sounds muddy. Overall could have been a lot better. Some of the R40 boots out there comes out clear than this one... :-(

Edited by thombytor, 03 March 2016 - 01:21 PM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: r40 live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users