R is for Rush: Recording & Mixing R40 Live

Jag2112

Thank you for posting this! A lot of the technical sound engineering info was over my head but very interesting anyway. As always, I am totally impressed by Rush, the people they hire, and the lengths they go to in order to bring us the best sounds possible. And I can't imagine losing the time code in the middle of the concert and having to figure out what to do to, eeek!

Can someone just post the straight link to the article? Cygnus' site is anything but dial-up friendly (nor should it be considering I am probably one of only 1% left in this country who doesn't have high speed) and there's too much stuff to load before I can actually see the article and get the link to the rest of it myself.

Can someone just post the straight link to the article? Cygnus' site is anything but dial-up friendly (nor should it be considering I am probably one of only 1% left in this country who doesn't have high speed) and there's too much stuff to load before I can actually see the article and get the link to the rest of it myself.

This?

http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/sos-01.2016.php

Does anyone know how someone becomes a record producer, or are record producers former sound engineers?

Becoming a studio bitch is the first step. Then, it's who you know and who you blow.

Studio bitch works for free typically.

This?

http://cygnus-x1.net...sos-01.2016.php

No, that's the page I have tried three times to get.

There is a link on that page to the article in the magazine. That's the one I am talking about. It just occurred to me that I can google the magazine and see what comes up.

Edit: Found the magazine and the article only goes up to a point. You have to be a subscriber to get the rest, so don't post the link on Cygnus here. Probably will get in trouble. I'll try again on Monday. Maybe I will have better luck.

Edited by Lorraine

This?

There is a link on that page to the article in the magazine. That's the one I am talking about. It just occurred to me that I can google the magazine and see what comes up.

Edit: Article "taken down" after kind guidance from Lorraine :)

Edited by The Analog Grownup
  • Like 1

This?

Edit: Found the magazine and the article only goes up to a point. You have to be a subscriber to get the rest, so don't post the link on Cygnus here. Probably will get in trouble. I'll try again on Monday. Maybe I will have better luck.

The link I posted isn't the same one as the one posted up above.

They have got nothing on my Zoom hand held recorder and Sonos interface and Audacity program.Also what's wrong with a reel to reel tape deck in the back of a Kombi,King Crimson did it with Earthbound.These guys should get a life.Seriously,I have a pile of Audio Technical magazines from the last ten years and the advances in recording technology are amazing.To the average person reading the article they would be lost with all the terminology and processors used.I must admit I had to reread many of the passages to follow what was been done.Also scouring through my mags to read reviews of FATSO compressors etc.It all comes back to the ears of the person fiddling the knobs.This team should have been used for previous efforts not mentioning anything.I like how they virtually didn't have to do anything to Ged's bass.'Leave That Thing Alone!'. Edited by grasbo

Interesting read. I'm surprised they used samples underneath the drums - seems like a bit of unnecessary cheating. I don't feel rock drums are Botrill's strong suit.

I like Richard Chycki's mixes except CA tour which was pretty muddy.

R40 sounds pretty good to me since I did not like Botrill's Vapor Trails mix. I felt his production skills suited a singer focused approach like his work with Peter Gabriel. In VT Remixed, the vocals were mixed too loud. Too much wet delay and reverb. He squashed the life out of the snare to an inorganic splat, and completely rearranging the vocal parts (secret touch and ceiling unlimited) was annoying.

Edited by RollTheBiff

Interesting read. I'm surprised they used samples underneath the drums - seems like a bit of unnecessary cheating. I don't feel rock drums are Botrill's strong suit.

I like Richard Chycki's mixes except CA tour which was pretty muddy.

R40 sounds pretty good to me since I did not like Botrill's Vapor Trails mix. I felt his production skills suited a singer focused approach like his work with Peter Gabriel. In VT Remixed, the vocals were mixed too loud. Too much wet delay and reverb. He squashed the life out of the snare to an inorganic splat, and completely rearranging the vocal parts (secret touch and ceiling unlimited) was annoying.

Sampling on the drums is a surprise and i feel getting a bit anal.As I said before'Leave That Thing Alone!

While the mix is much better on this release - all those drum mics and they missed Neil's china cymbal! It's conspicuously absent at the end of Subdivisions and all of the other "china" moments that every Rush drummer knows... He's hitting it in the video, it just doesn't make it in the mix :(
  • Like 2

I'm also disapointed w R40 mix...drum sound not acceptable, toms missing and all overall it sounds muddy. Overall could have been a lot better. Some of the R40 boots out there comes out clear than this one... :-( Edited by thombytor
  • Like 2