aircraft models FUN

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#41 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, having fun.

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

View PostLittleRushmonkey, on 04 February 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

I remember I used to be really into this when I was quite little. Nothing as awesome as what you've done only cheap little Airfix kits. I've probably lost them all now but I remember I had a Mesershmitt  plane and three or four tanks and I think I've still got all the paint somewhere.  You're models are great though :) must take Lots of time

That's why it's part of my 'Retirement Plan' ! That comment about the 'cheap Airfix' kits if a main reason my Dad didn't mind my interest, because he had to watch what was spent.  There used to be a company in Detroit, Michigan, called PYRO that did a whole line of models that were cheap [cost-wise] and I did a lot of them, but only of older cars, '20's 30's '40s, '50s and alla that...but cheapness was a GOOD  thing!

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 23 February 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

This is a really cool thread. Like a lot of "kids" in the 70's and 80's, I was obsessed with models for several years. I had a couple of high water marks for completion, including a Tamiya German Tiger Tank that I actually made a small landscape for, a covered bed pickup truck with a speed boat on a trailer, and a yellow Z28 Camaro.
13 years ago, I tried getting back into model building with a Cobra Mustang. I was working on it one night during a hurricane, and it was so relaxing, and so much fun.
But these days, my hobby passion lies with guitars, amps, and effects. But I still really appreciate a well done model, and get the twinge to try it all again.

Just wait til RETIREMENT hits the scene...Like I did, you have a LOT MORE TIME for stuff!  Maybe you could try it then!

View PostMr. JD, on 23 February 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

I was also into this. I liked building tall ships. Rigging and all.

That's what a gentleman does on an ad for a bunch of Elder Living homes 'American House' or something like that, and I, for the first time finally had someone who had the same feeling I did about what to do with your time that appealed to you! LOL  

Now.  I've finally purchased the Photo-etched parts and extras to begin on that A 10 Warthog. Gettin' ready! LOL

Sponsored Post

#42 grep

grep

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

Your stuff is great Orfie! I always like looking at the pix of your work.

#43 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:28 AM

Thanks, grep!  I love your photography!

Now.  I have finally used my noggin to find what I needed to start my Fairchild-Republic A-10 A Warthog project! Here it is:

Posted ImagePosted Image a 1:32 scale metal kit for the GAU-8 30mm Vulcan cannon, which is the MAIN weapon on the aircraft.  THIS will look COOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!

For a historical look-see: Posted Image This is that same Weapon, next to a VW Beetle IRL. Posted Image

#44 grep

grep

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

Yup, the Warthog is basically a gun with wings.

#45 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:27 PM

View Postgrep, on 28 February 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

EXACTLY!  One of the lead designers said it was basically designed around the GAU-8 Avenger weapon....I got hooked on this plane by watching a Smithsonian Channel Series, "AIRPOWER" They do a report on one specific aircraft per episode.  I also bought a 1:48 V-22 OSPREY!!! I will be THRILLED when they come out with THAT plane in 1:32 scale!!! Posted Image

#46 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 28 February 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

View Postgrep, on 28 February 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

EXACTLY!  One of the lead designers said it was basically designed around the GAU-8 Avenger weapon....I got hooked on this plane by watching a Smithsonian Channel Series, "AIRPOWER" They do a report on one specific aircraft per episode.  I also bought a 1:48 V-22 OSPREY!!! I will be THRILLED when they come out with THAT plane in 1:32 scale!!! Posted Image

A company I worked for (Goodyear Aerospace) built the wheels and brakes for the A-10. Got to see an RTO test one time. AWESOME!

#47 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

Yup!  That test was probably in the show on Smithsonian Channel series!  They do pretty in depth episodes!  I record the shows to see if there is anything I can use to improve my detailing in the models....

I got my first Photo-Etched packet today, and it covers MOST of the stuff, Interior, exterior, weaponry, canopy masks, and 'remove before take off' flags.  I'm waiting for detailing kits for the GAU-8 Avenger  Main gun, and a resin Ejector seat. Checking on how soon the first package arrived, These two should arrive Wed, Thurs at latest....Found FREE HR pics of the cockpit area on the National Museum of The Air Force site, http://www.nationalm...f.mil/Home.aspx which are EXCELLENT reference pics!  Posted Image

#48 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

Posted Image"Dum-De-Dum, Dum...De- Doo-Dah"Posted Image   Waiting for deliveries.....

#49 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

THEY ARRIVED!!!  just bought two reference books, one specifically on the A-10 A 'Warthog' and one on Model detailing.  Some terms I've heard recently that I'd like to know about....I'm getting REALLY EXCITED!!!

#50 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

OH KAY!  Here's the set-up.  These things are now in play.  These are the Photo Etch plates I will be using to complete the cockpit area....

Posted ImagePosted Image

FYI- My phone is 5 3/16" in height.  These plates are a few MICRONS thick stamped brass.  Consider that I'm a CLUTZ, and more of one as I get older!  I will keep you all 'in the loop' as I go along!  :) :codger: :banana:

#51 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

It's 'HURRY UP AND WAIT!' here....waiting on more reference books, and some tools I need for the Photo etch parts....should get all of it by the end of this week.  Posted Image

#52 hunter

hunter

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1587 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

:D

Posted Image

#53 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:37 PM

For those who want to follow a good site for model afficianados, here it is.  It's European based but fully ok for people who speak english. https://www.scalemat...alemates.com/  
I'm on there, it shows my projects and such...I don't have any photo albums up yet....

:banana:

#54 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

View Posthunter, on 12 May 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

:D

Posted Image

The only time this's happened to me, was when I bought some Japanese made kits back in the eighties, that only printed their instructions in Japanese.  I can't even find translations today!!!

#55 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

Still waiting on info for the photo etched parts...I've found I have to do more research BEFORE i buy a SPECIFIC KIT, as regards the kit and the parts in it..... Got a NEW project, that is more or less DO IT NOW capable.....it's the North American P-51D Mustang, In 1:32 scale.  Photo etch parts colored correctly, masks for the canopy, resin parts (wheels, cockpit pieces and seat) this is a MUCH MORE READY TO DO project....found a pic of someone who did this model in the pilot's version I'm doing....
Posted Image

#56 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42121 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:23 PM

You have to have a steady hand and lots of patience to do what you do, ORFie.  

It's wonderful that you have a hobby that you really enjoy!

#57 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:32 PM

If my hobby was models it better include Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, etc. :P

#58 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

^^^ TITs and ASS!!!

Sexual proclivities are fun, and engaging, but the amount of time is NO WHERE NEAR the time I use in Model making.....

Posted Image

#59 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

My second P-51 picture book has arrived...but it is almost totally B&W pix...unit markings and such...it DID come with decals for one particular aircraft. in three scales, 1:72, 1:48 and 1:32 though.  My craft knive with the snap off blade sections arrived as well as the 3 packs of 10 replacement blades.  I have finally found a paint storage unit that will work with the three types of paint I use.  Bought two of them, and the place that makes them is in Australia.  They actually let you choose the size of the paint bottles circumference so they'll fit correctly..I've found out this week that not all sites do this.  So I bought a unit that only fits smaller bottles, and is about useless to me.....well, this site, "Back 2 Base-ix" let's you choose the size of the hole that is in their organizer so your paints will fit.  I use only three types of paint, Humbrol, Tamiya and Model Master paints. both enamel and Acrylic.  Having learned my lesson, My research is more encompasing now.....I HATE wasting money....at least my brain still LEARNS from mistakes! YAY ME!!!!

(MOVE ALONG NOW..... NOTHING TO SEE HERE.......MOVE ALONG.....)

Posted Image(COP banana)

Edited by OldRUSHfan, 21 July 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#60 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6463 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

The Latest Project.  The Tamiya 1:32 North American P-51 D. section 1, assemble the engine.
Posted Image

The size of some parts in this model, FYI

Posted Image

The engine, almost complete

Posted Image

Engine and bulkhead behind engine, also contains the first SCREW I've ever used in a model!

Posted Image
Posted Image

On to the cockpit area Instrument panel first, a 3 part extravaganza!
There's the actually IP, a CLEAR part that gives the IP the look of glass instrument faces, and a decal behind the clear part that has the instrument faces printed on it! Pic after I'm done!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aircraft, models, FUN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users