Within Temptation Thread

Verena

Robert Westerholt and Sharon den Adel had an amazing idea to for this band. :D

It deserves an official topic.

They're compromised with their on Art, since the very beggining and worked so much for recognition.

The fanbase is loyal, respectful and cherished in return.

Mythological elements, legends, pain, dispair, war, humanity as whole, salvation and "the other side" are explored. There are also realistic, life-observant and introspective songs.

Since Enter until Hydra the band has progressed a lot.

Talented musicians (they changed from time to time), in all albums. :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil and Nightwish are in my top five favourite bands of all time.

Within Temptation mean the world to me! Real escapism, I have been a fan for over a decade now!

I discovered all three bands on the same day haha! Within Temptation was my favourite at first, it took the other two longer to grow on me!

• Like 1

My ranking of WT's albums is easy:

1. The Silent Force

2. The Heart Of Everything

3. Hydra

4. Mother Earth

5. The Unforgiving

6. Enter/The Dance

Live DVD's:

1. Let Us Burn: Elements

2. The Silent Force Tour

3. Black Symphony

4. Let Us Burn: Hydra

5. An Acoustic Night At The Theatre

6. Mother Earth

Absolutely adore this band! Less consistent for me than LC or WT, but the GREAT stuff is absolutely off the charts! Songs that don't grab me on record often come alive on stage! Mother Earth especially, I always prefer the live recordings to the actual album!

• Like 1

Wait, didn't Segue already create an official thread for them? I could have sworn he did.

I was thinking I had, but wasn't sure. I always tag my threads with Segue Myles...

Not a big fan of WT, I like a bunch of their songs, and I think Mother Earth was a good album. Something is missing in their music, I just can't feel it...but I looove Sharon's performance on Ayreon's Into The Electric Castle. :hail:
  • Like 1

Not a big fan of WT, I like a bunch of their songs, and I think Mother Earth was a good album. Something is missing in their music, I just can't feel it...but I looove Sharon's performance on Ayreon's Into The Electric Castle. :hail:

They fell off my radar for years, I liked them, but barely. Then this year, it all clicked into place, and I adore them! Both the impact in mepy teen years and the joy of rediscovering them saw them elevate into my permanent top five! Moreso than most bands, WT shaped my tastes (even if I quickly moved on back in the day), and now...like Nightwish (who also fully opened up to me this last two years), they finally rest on the top shelf, proudly and permanently!

To am extent, The Gathering has as well, and my top five is rounded out by Rush, Toto and The Gathering (its top six really, but I can no longer choose between LC and NW).

• Like 1

Wait, didn't Segue already create an official thread for them? I could have sworn he did.

I was thinking I had, but wasn't sure. I always tag my threads with Segue Myles...

Maybe it was in the Segue and Mick thread then. I know we've talked about them a decent amount on here.

• Like 1

Maybe it was in the Segue and Mick thread then. I know we've talked about them a decent amount on here.

Yeah our thread and there was another one a few pages back started by someone else!

I rediscovered them in recent months and that kickstarted a lot of chit chat!

They fell off my radar for years, I liked them, but barely. Then this year, it all clicked into place, and I adore them! Both the impact in mepy teen years and the joy of rediscovering them saw them elevate into my permanent top five! Moreso than most bands, WT shaped my tastes (even if I quickly moved on back in the day), and now...like Nightwish (who also fully opened up to me this last two years), they finally rest on the top shelf, proudly and permanently!

To am extent, The Gathering has as well, and my top five is rounded out by Rush, Toto and The Gathering (its top six really, but I can no longer choose between LC and NW).

Love your youthful enthusiasm when it comes to LC, Nightwish or WT. :cheers:

Maybe I have to give them another chance, but those bands haven't done much for me in the last 20 years. It's just not always my cup of tea, but I love to warm it up, from time to time.

• Like 2

Maybe I have to give them another chance, but those bands haven't done much for me in the last 20 years. It's just not always my cup of tea, but I love to warm it up, from time to time.

Yeah in many ways this is how I feel about classic prog, some I love, but mostly I feel I need to be in a certain frame of mind. I loved ABBA growing up, and these bands sort of were the next step for me! My gateway into metal was these three bands, plus HIM, Opeth and Paradise Lost.

These three bands just fulfill my needs! Toto, Rush and Alter Bridge also fill the same needs, they all offer a sense of emotional gratification entwined with joyful escapism!

You might connect with one of these bands one day, you might not!

• Like 1

These bands deserve compliments and recognition on their own way, I believe.

Some people love them, others hate or are neutral; some others, like you appreciate songs here and there.

I knew fans who appreciate some songs of each album, but chose to see/listen them live, because they couldn't get into this kind of sound at home.

• Like 1

Yeah in many ways this is how I feel about classic prog, some I love, but mostly I feel I need to be in a certain frame of mind. I loved ABBA growing up, and these bands sort of were the next step for me! My gateway into metal was these three bands, plus HIM, Opeth and Paradise Lost.

These three bands just fulfill my needs! Toto, Rush and Alter Bridge also fill the same needs, they all offer a sense of emotional gratification entwined with joyful escapism!

You might connect with one of these bands one day, you might not!

Or he might not. :LOL:

• Like 1

Some people love them, others hate or are neutral; some others, like you appreciate songs here and there.

I knew fans who appreciate some songs of each album, but chose to see/listen them live, because they couldn't get into this kind of sound at home.

What I find with all three of these bands, is that they carry that same feel as early prog bands. These are the original bands, still evolving, occasionally stumbling, always honest and the last album from each of these bands have been full of genuine surprises!

Within Temptation especially seem to be the boldest and most adventurous, the song And We Run is solid gold beauty!

And Nightwish went and released my favourite album in nearly a decade, during a year when I just wasn't thrilled with anything!

I wasn't the biggest fan of And We Run but then I saw them play it live.

WOW!!

The song had a whole new energy to it that the studio version doesn't capture. The rap part had such power live. Surprised the hell out of me and knocked me back a few inches from where I was standing.

Sharon has grown into such a great live performer. She was so energetic on stage and sang flawlessly.

• Like 2

I just finished listening to them 1/2 ago or so...

I like WT, not as much as lacuna coil but a nice change of pace

The thing is, I no longer like limping bands in the same category because they have a female singer.

I love Nightwish because the symphonic elements and longer song structures remind me of classical music, and more recently classic prog with a lot of twists and turns.

I live LC because of Cri, and they carry over much of that Brit metal sound of bands like Paradise Lost and The Gathering (who felt, to me, very English like on Mandylion and Nighttime Birds).

I love Within Temptation because of the bombastic pop vibes!

So many think I love female fronted bands...no I just happen to love like five metal bands with female vocalists...a huge amount but not because they are all in the same bracket!

I honestly don't find any of these bands similar. All three perhaps share certain roots (doom/goth metal, and The Gathering influence, I am certain!), but Broken Crown Halo, Hydra and Endless Forms Most Beautiful are three very different albums from three completely unrelated bands!

And none of the vocalists sound alike.

Other bands I have tried who do nothing for me are Epica, After Forever, Revamp, Delain, Tristania and Leaves Eyes. Theatre Of Tragedy are OK, but nope...nothing.

And British and American fans like to lump Evanescence in with the European female fronted bands. But I hear more of bands like Bjork, Linkin Park and Sevendust in their sound, and they just happen to have a female vocalist with a soaring voice fronting them!

Yawn...not similar at all if you ask me. I remember so many people used to tell me LC sounded just like Evanescence. I have never heard it. Not even a little, and I have always been a fan of both bands!

WOW!!

The song had a whole new energy to it that the studio version doesn't capture. The rap part had such power live. Surprised the hell out of me and knocked me back a few inches from where I was standing.

Sharon has grown into such a great live performer. She was so energetic on stage and sang flawlessly.

Let Is Burn DVD? What a classic!

I have just two bands on my bucket list now: WT and Alter Bridge.

Toto, Rush and Springsteen are sort of their, sort of aren't.

WOW!!

Yeah, that's a great DVD. But I saw them last year and that's what I was talking about.

• Like 1

WOW!!

Yeah, that's a great DVD. But I saw them last year and that's what I was talking about.

Jealous! Well insaw NW at Wembley so that at least evens us out haha!

Hydra is fast becoming one of my very favourite albums ever, truly it is! I love the hooks, the vibe and the songs themselves are so brilliant, lacking a lot of the cheese that occasionally made me roll my eyes in the past. The stripped back nature really suited them!

Dog Days, Covered By Roses, Let Us Burn, Tell Me Why, And We Run...some of my favourite songs of the last few years!

I am telling you, WT, NW and LC are on such good form the last year has felt, not like nostalgia, but like I just discovered three amazing new bands all over again! So fresh!

Proud of them, and they deserve all the love they have been getting, and more!

• Like 1

What I find with all three of these bands, is that they carry that same feel as early prog bands. These are the original bands, still evolving, occasionally stumbling, always honest and the last album from each of these bands have been full of genuine surprises!

Within Temptation especially seem to be the boldest and most adventurous, the song And We Run is solid gold beauty!

And Nightwish went and released my favourite album in nearly a decade, during a year when I just wasn't thrilled with anything!

Adventurous is a word that describes WT! :yes:

WOW!!

I agree. She easily connects with the audience and the whole band is magneficient on stage.

Whole World Is Watching is easily one of my favourite WT songs, and their best album closer since Somewhere (and maybe even better than that!).
  • Like 1

Whole World Is Watching is easily one of my favourite WT songs, and their best album closer since Somewhere (and maybe even better than that!).

The song has a strong and optimistic message.

The whole of Hydra does.

I hated Hydra for so long, then it clicked with me and it went from the bottom to the near top!

If it becomes my favourite, I wouldn't be surprised. I haven't played The Silent Force or Heart in a long time!

The Unforgiving is a smashing album that always misses a little something that the other albums have forms.

I also really love the Q Music Sessions! Great pop covers! I love their cover of Bruno Mars Grenade a lot!