FM with Nash the Slash and or Ben Mink

Thunder Bay Rush

Most of us Canadians will know about FM, a GREAT prog rock band that was popular in the late 70s and into the early 80s. Three guys, Cameron Hawkins – keyboards, bass guitar and lead voice, Martin Dellar (good friend of Neil Peart) on drums and “Nash the Slash” on electric violin / viola, electric mandolin and programming. Slash (Jeff Plewman died last year.)

After the first album, Black Noise, Nash left and Ben Mink (Losing It, Rush) joined the band. But he left a few years later. They’ve come and gone over the last 25 years or so, with various members. FM never really did “make it” but they were SO good and SO far ahead of their time. They opened for Rush many times on the Moving Pictures tour and were well known in Canada. Sadly, a band could be “well known” in Canada, but still not make any money. FM could pack clubs and small halls and theatres, but that was as far as they got. I saw them many times… GREAT live band.

Check these out… the first two are with Nash the Slash and the other are with Ben Mink:

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

Not exactly a ton of replies to this, but, if anyone is interested... FM has a new CD out. Transformation. The only original member though, is Cameron Hawkins. I'm going to try to find this... might not be easy.
Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

The only time I saw them was opening for Rush on the Power Windows tour (I think) at Maple Leaf Gardens. I unfortunately do not recall what I thought of them...