Mr. Woo Hoo

tomhealey

So as I go through my extended post-tour Rush withdrawal, I've been listening to a lot of Rush Radio lately (thank you Ken Shipley for that glorious site!!), along with some of my favorite boots, and I'm absolutely fed up with the guy in the crowd that keeps yelling "woo hoo" at every opportunity (followed occasionally by the equally inspirational "woo hoo hoo"). I've been to a lot of shows, and I've never had to put up with anything quite this dismal, so it's a bit of a surprise how constant this outburst occurs. What could be behind incessant woo-hooing? Is there a thought that this repeated howl is somehow extending the enjoyment of the rest of the fans? Is there some notion that the band brings their playing to even greater glory when being bludgeoned with this phrase? Or is this spasm of euphoria merely an indication that the author is incapable of deeper expressions of emotion?

Do you know this miscreant? Have you ever confronted this miscreant at a show? Is it possible that this miscreant is actually a series of miscreants, either coincidentally or through careful coordination expressing their shared belief in the religion of "Woo Hoo-ism? Given how often this miscreant winds up on boots, perhaps this miscreant is a recorder of many boots? Are you this miscreant?

I'm challenging the readers of this board to out this guy (yes, based upon both mathematical probabilities and listening to the tone, I do not believe the offender to be a woman, although I'm happy to be proven wrong). All positive identifications, educated hunches, creative conspiracy theories, random observations, and general ramblings welcomed.

• Like 2

No clue, but he has wide musical tastes! I thought I had found a nice Eric Church boot that my husband would love for Christmas. They are difficult to find, so I was happy. Downloaded and started to listen to it and Mr. Woo Hoo was there as well, in every damn song. It got on my nerves so badly. . . . so no "Eric Church live" for Mr. Blues . . . he'll get over it! :) Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

I don't yell WOO HOO

I used to yell 'NI !!'

But this tour I only yelled 'Ecky-ecky-ecky- ecky-pikang-zoom-boing'

• Like 2

I remember hearing Mr. Woo Hoo on a lot of older bootlegs but I wonder if he's passed away? Has Woo Hoo met his due? Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

I f***ing hate hooters at live shows...fortunately they are very rare in the UK, but I carry a number of concealed poison darts just in case.....

Edit.....this doesn't refer to exposed mammaries of the fairer sex.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 2

I really goddamned hate it when the guy takes a deep breath and sustains the woo or the hoo for like 10 or 15 seconds. Probably hoping for a laugh, which some idiots will indulge him with.

Phil Collins used to talk about people who would make a ton of noise during the quiet bits - whistle or scream or whatever. At first I thought he was just being a whiny ass, but I do see his point. It would be nice if people could figure out that the most respectful thing is to show appreciation at the end of a song (and a few seconds at the start isn't inappropriate of course).

• Like 3

Woo-hoo guy must have girlfriends here in SF because at night, in the areas with bars/nightclubs, there always seem to be drunk girls walking around "woo-hoo"ing. Maybe there is a gene which, when mixed with alcohol, activates the vocal cords?
  • Like 3

Woo-hoo guy must have girlfriends here in SF because at night, in the areas with bars/nightclubs, there always seem to be drunk girls walking around "woo-hoo"ing. Maybe there is a gene which, when mixed with alcohol, activates the vocal cords?

There's a direct correlation between the amount of alcohol consumed and the lowering of IQ. I'm sure there's a study on that somewhere.
  • Like 2

The worst I ever heard on all the bootlegs I have (Mr. WooHoo at least loves Rush, but I think my favorite was the spastic guy who kept screaming Alex! Alex!! Alex!!! Alex!!!!) is what is on the Spokane bootleg from 1980. It went like this:

"Rock and roll? More like Rock and Squeal."

"Is this show ever going to be over????"

No wonder why Rush never came back here. They are too good for Spokane.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

The worst I ever heard on all the bootlegs I have (Mr. WooHoo at least loves Rush, but I think my favorite was the spastic guy who kept screaming Alex! Alex!! Alex!!! Alex!!!!) is what is on the Spokane bootleg from 1980. It went like this:

My wife and I took a trip out to the west coast and Washington this year. Love, love, love the country in Washington and actually considering retirement there. But it sounds like the people can be kind of....rednecky. And that's something similar to Michigan I want to avoid. Any suggestions?

My wife and I took a trip out to the west coast and Washington this year. Love, love, love the country in Washington and actually considering retirement there. But it sounds like the people can be kind of....rednecky. And that's something similar to Michigan I want to avoid. Any suggestions?

No, not "rednecky" - that's a rumor started by someone at some time that has gained strength. There's nothing "rednecky" about the place. Did you know Spokane is a "sanctuary city"?

Suggestions? Don't move. Stay where you are. If you do make the move, you will live to regret it. Like the old saying goes, this is a nice place to visit, but you don't want to live here.

Anyone west of the Dakotas will fit in well here. Most people east of the Dakotas will have a very hard time. I just spoke to yet another person at the dentist office last week that moved here six years ago from New Jersey. She hates it, and told me as soon as her son is out of college, she's moving back. She is one of many that have told me the same thing.

• Like 1

Eastern Washington is very different than Western Washington (the same goes for Eastern vs. Western Oregon). I've spent time in both and the climate, terrain, and attitudes vary from place to place. If you are considering retiring out that way you should definitely spend a little time in various locations to see which seems to mesh best with your own values. For example, I think Seattle is a great city and oh so pretty (it's surrounded by mountains and forests), but it is often grey and damp, and is now getting quite expensive due to the heavy tech industry presence. In contrast, Spokane's downtown area has had a revitalization in recent years and now has a bunch of nice pubs and restaurants, but, as you noticed, can be rednecky and conservative, and it's hard to find places that are open on Sunday mornings.

• Like 1

No, not "rednecky" - that's a rumor started by someone at some time that has gained strength. There's nothing "rednecky" about the place. Did you know Spokane is a "sanctuary city"?

Suggestions? Don't move. Stay where you are. If you do make the move, you will live to regret it. Like the old saying goes, this is a nice place to visit, but you don't want to live here.

Anyone west of the Dakotas will fit in well here. Most people east of the Dakotas will have a very hard time. I just spoke to yet another person at the dentist office last week that moved here six years ago from New Jersey. She hates it, and told me as soon as her son is out of college, she's moving back. She is one of many that have told me the same thing.

Ugh, we'll we're certainly not staying in Michigan when we retire. Both of us have spent much of our lives here and are totally sick of it. Definately thinking westward. Thanks for the info. Edited by 2112FirstStreet

Eastern Washington is very different than Western Washington (the same goes for Eastern vs. Western Oregon). I've spent time in both and the climate, terrain, and attitudes vary from place to place. If you are considering retiring out that way you should definitely spend a little time in various locations to see which seems to mesh best with your own values. For example, I think Seattle is a great city and oh so pretty (it's surrounded by mountains and forests), but it is often grey and damp, and is now getting quite expensive due to the heavy tech industry presence. In contrast, Spokane's downtown area has had a revitalization in recent years and now has a bunch of nice pubs and restaurants, but, as you noticed, can be rednecky and conservative, and it's hard to find places that are open on Sunday mornings.

Well we really want the good vibes and warmth of Hawaii...without all the isolation and cost. I know...impossible. We caught Washington on a couple of sunny days, but it appears to be alot like Michigan weather-wise sans snow. Love, love, love Olympic National Park.

I think my idea of living different places for 2-3 years at a time sounds great but my wife doesn't want to move that much.

Well we really want the good vibes and warmth of Hawaii...without all the isolation and cost. I know...impossible. We caught Washington on a couple of sunny days, but it appears to be alot like Michigan weather-wise sans snow. Love, love, love Olympic National Park.

I think my idea of living different places for 2-3 years at a time sounds great but my wife doesn't want to move that much.

Go to Florida then. Most of the attorneys I worked for ditched Manhattan for Florida because of the low cost of living there.

Also, since I am the one who actually lives in Eastern Washington, and have for over twenty years, I think I am more up on the reality of living here.

Edited by Lorraine