RATTLE AND HUM

Del_Duio

Now I don't mean the terrible U2 album, I mean the almost as terrible sound that happens when you plug your guitar in and there's mad crazy buzz. It's either coming from the guitar or the amp, I don't know which. It only happens lately whenever I plug into my 8 track digital recorder and only when it's like this:

Guitar -> Amp input jack -> Headphone output jack -> 8 track recorder

It lessened a BIT when I stood up and moved further away from the recorder, but it was still really loud and noticeable. I've recorded guitar like this many times before and this hasn't happened, and there's no weird hum from the amp whenever I plug my basses into it so I'm guessing it's coming from the guitar itself. I've checked the guitar cables and they work perfectly with my eDrums, bass and keyboard so I don't think that's it either.

The guitar is a Danelectro 56-U2 Korean reissue (U2, oh the irony!)

Could it be the wiring on this thing's acting up? I've owned it since 1998.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks!!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh105/madmarkny/pics003.jpg

Edited by Del_Duio

Single coils are notoriously sensitive to interference of all kinds. If it's buzzing then I would move around the room to see if it lessens. It could be the house circuit. If it's noise when you plug it in I would check the jack to see if it's loose. My Strat and J basses are very sensitive to house circuitry.
  • Like 2

Thanks, man!

You are one helpful dude!

Thanks. I try. :)

Sometimes I can hear a difference simply by turning my body when "wearing" one of these instruments. Especially my Strat which isn't grounded particularly well, being so cheap. Another thing you can try is plugging your amp into different outlets. Some houses have outlets in the same room on different circuits.

If your amp has a polarity switch (some do, many don't) you might try flipping that to see if things improve.

Yep, I've had issues when switching to single coil on my guitars sometimes, particularly when I've got the TV on in the same room. Eventually I'll need to open them back up and put some shielding in or something.