Jacob´s Ladder vs Jacob´s Ladder vs Jacob´s Ladder

YYZumbi

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which version is best?

• Jacob´s Ladder - Permanent Waves
    • Jacob´s Ladder - Exit... Stage Left
    • Jacob´s Ladder - R40 Live

So now when Rush have played Jacob´s Ladder again after people have wished for it for years. Which version do you like best?

The studio version (on Permanent Waves)

The old live version (on Exit... Stage Left)

The new live version (on R40 Live)

Do not compare with the one you saw, if you saw any of these live. Only compare with the official release!

ESL because of the guitar work. I detest ESL for just about everything, but the version of Jacob's Ladder is well done. Alex evokes a lot of emotion out of that version.

The R40 version is very good as well, and I would say has the better "live" feel and sound. But as far as playing goes, the ESL one is better.

I voted for the Exit Stage Left version. It was the version that is so good Geddy forgot that they even performed it live.

Also it is my favorite version as well. :Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

Jacob's Ladder is my favourite song off PeW.

I love Alex's guitarwork.!

While the studio version is more sonically pristine in comparison to the live ones, the drum parts are less refined. On ESL I LOVE the kick and snare placement in the 6/8 7/8 alternating section. The time signature changes become less jerky because of it and there is more of a flow and lilt to that bit. The R40 version is also different (drum-wise) in that section as well, it too is cool and benefits from his years of experience and wisdom. I also LOVE the flanger Alex uses on the leads on ESL too.
  • Like 1