X-Men: Apocalypse Official Trailer

Principled Man

Harry Potter isn't a genre. It is fantasy. And to be fair, outside of HP and LOTR very few, if any, fantasy films were highly praised.

Superhero films are definitely close to having their day for now. It isn't the number of films only, it is the media saturation and the coverage of the films is insanely in your face. When you see the awards nominations sometimes it is gobsmacking to think their are any non superhero films coming out.

Also, Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings had an appropriate number of films. In an ideal world, Deathly Hallows would be just one film, but truthfully both parts were better adaptations than a couple of the other films and Lord Of The Rings needed to be a trilogy. Only real headscratcher is The Hobbit Trilogy.

J.K. Rowling's new franchise, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, is just another work from the author rather than another really frustrating stab at a worn out genre. At this point there is much she can still do with her universe because so far we have only seen ONE story.

But superhero films are becoming a real pain for those who don't like them. It really is sad that most great dramas come out and win awards but you rarely see then marketed as well as a superhero film unless they have a big name director

I knew my post would light under fire under you. :LOL:

But yeah, I didn't call Potter a genre. I said it was part of the fantasy genre. Read my post again. And I wasn't ripping it or the Tolkien stuff. I was saying that plenty of movies within a certain genre come out (like all the fantasy movies) and nobody thinks anything. I could've just as easily picked the genre of action movies. But for whatever reason, superhero movies get this negative attention of "I'm tired of all the superhero movies." Well, I'm tired of Vin Diesel driving fast cars. I'm tired of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton doing the same damn thing together again and again. :LOL:

Many people don't like superhero movies. Yeah, I get it. But the number of those flicks are no more absurd than the number of movies in the genres of fantasy, action, horror, etc.

Ahh I see!

Gotcha!

I think to be honest mamy are tiring of the whole "Marvel Universe" thing. I know plenty who just want a superhero movie standalone, and not have to keep up constantly and watch every movie in order to get the most from Avengers movie number whatever.

It is why I really disliked Captain America 2. I would have loved a straight sequel to the first one without it being all tied up with everything else.

I also loved Man Of Steel. But now they are kickstarting a DC universe and it's just mental. Unlike fantasy or action movies that have straight sequels, superhero movies are now fully focused on tying together various little franchises into one huge franchise and it's now getting repetitive, convoluted and a little underwhelming.

I mean, first we have the Spiderman trilogy, which was never properly concluded. Then we got a reboot. Never ckncluded. Now Spiderman version 3.0 is out and we will also have to follow a bunch of others in a never ending universe alongside him.

It isn't a story it's a mess and the worst part for many is that IT IS EVERYWHERE and it's almost like Hollywood is focusing mostly on these sorts of films. Even actors and others in the industry say they miss event movies being dramas and intelligent scripts. And yes, I would throw ALL franchises into the mix. Even the ones I like. Because Hollywood is currently franchise mad, and any original idea seems to be developed with the intention of carrying it over for film after film after film.

I have no issue with superhero movies. I just miss when they were fun and not so deadly serious and all caught up in this never ending tangle of plot threads and individual franchises.

I can't say Captain America is a real trilogy because to understand Captain America three you need to see various other movies before it.

It's just a nightmare.

Sequels and franchises...remember when you said anime is everywhere in Japan? And for you that can be a bad thing?

Try cinemas here.

So many indie films and even Hollywood dramas I wanted to see at the cinema and hardly any of them show for long.

I really want to see a film called Love And Friendship, but it will very likely only play in big cities. But a superhero movie will never leave the cinema until sometimes a couple of weeks before the DVD release.

I'm not that far removed from the West. I did grow up and spend most of my life there after all. J-anime and manga exposure here exponentially exceed the exposure in the West that superhero flicks get. It's hard to explain the overexposure of things here if you haven't visited. It's not too uncommon to see exactly the same tv commercial 3 times in a row one after the other. They really beat the hell out of a gag or essentially anything that's remotely popular. I'm straying off topic but a few years ago the phrase "Hee Haw" became so popular here that it was being repeated in all kinds of media. "Hee haw"? They didn't even know what it really meant BUT since a popular celeb said it ONCE it then stuck around for a few months until the next popular catchphrase took its place.

Getting back on topic...

Funnily, there is often the complaint of these superhero characters crossing over, it being a mess, and not knowing the story if you had missed a previous one bla bla bla. But these things were already happening in comics 50 years ago. In the 60s, The Justice League and Avengers comics in particular were the ultimate crossing over of characters. Fans loved it because they got all their favorites in one magazine. Comics boomed especially then. These team ups/crossovers were a big reason for that boom. It's now happening in superhero movies. DC f***ed up their first attempt at a crossover with Bats v Supes. Marvel didn't. A lot of people want more. And they'll get it.

I will say I have quite high hopes for Suicide Squad. By the looks if it, much like Guardians Of The Galaxy, we may have a really fun movie on our hands!

I have yet to see Ant Man or Deadpool, but I have heard both are great.

Ant-Man IS good stuff. Just a fun movie.

I haven't seen Deadpool though I've heard nothing but good stuff about it too.

Suicide Squad in a bit skeptical about. However, I do think Jared Leto will be fine as Joker. He's a good actor IMHO so I'm not worried about that. I'm worried that there are too many characters to work with AND I'm not too thrilled about some of the other cast. I'll check it out though I'm sure.

I just hope, whatever flaws it might have, Suicide Squad is a return to just being a fun movie. I remember being really sceptical about Guardians, but it turned out to be really great fun!

Margot Robbie and Jared Leto look really promising. The rest of the cast? Meh...Will Smith still looks like he is in SERIOUS ACTOR MODE. He has his naysayers, but I grew up loving his movies, but I haven't liked any since I, Robot (one of my favourite films as a matter of fact). But he looks flat out terrible in the trailers.

But I hope Jared and Margot keep it fun, they look great in the trailers.

Ant Man I will watch. I just need time out from superheroes, but these titles do look fun. I am not sure I want to see Batman vs Superman. Yes, I loved Man Of Steel but the feedback and my own gut instinct tells me I am going to hate it.

See, I can discuss superhero movies without hating! Haha! I just wish they'd take a little break...

• Like 1

Harry Potter isn't a genre. It is fantasy. And to be fair, outside of HP and LOTR very few, if any, fantasy films were highly praised.

Superhero films are definitely close to having their day for now. It isn't the number of films only, it is the media saturation and the coverage of the films is insanely in your face. When you see the awards nominations sometimes it is gobsmacking to think their are any non superhero films coming out.

Also, Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings had an appropriate number of films. In an ideal world, Deathly Hallows would be just one film, but truthfully both parts were better adaptations than a couple of the other films and Lord Of The Rings needed to be a trilogy. Only real headscratcher is The Hobbit Trilogy.

J.K. Rowling's new franchise, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, is just another work from the author rather than another really frustrating stab at a worn out genre. At this point there is much she can still do with her universe because so far we have only seen ONE story.

But superhero films are becoming a real pain for those who don't like them. It really is sad that most great dramas come out and win awards but you rarely see then marketed as well as a superhero film unless they have a big name director

But yeah, I didn't call Potter a genre. I said it was part of the fantasy genre. Read my post again. And I wasn't ripping it or the Tolkien stuff. I was saying that plenty of movies within a certain genre come out (like all the fantasy movies) and nobody thinks anything. I could've just as easily picked the genre of action movies. But for whatever reason, superhero movies get this negative attention of "I'm tired of all the superhero movies." Well, I'm tired of Vin Diesel driving fast cars. I'm tired of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton doing the same damn thing together again and again. :LOL:

Many people don't like superhero movies. Yeah, I get it. But the number of those flicks are no more absurd than the number of movies in the genres of fantasy, action, horror, etc.

Ahh I see!

Gotcha!

I think to be honest mamy are tiring of the whole "Marvel Universe" thing. I know plenty who just want a superhero movie standalone, and not have to keep up constantly and watch every movie in order to get the most from Avengers movie number whatever.

It is why I really disliked Captain America 2. I would have loved a straight sequel to the first one without it being all tied up with everything else.

I also loved Man Of Steel. But now they are kickstarting a DC universe and it's just mental. Unlike fantasy or action movies that have straight sequels, superhero movies are now fully focused on tying together various little franchises into one huge franchise and it's now getting repetitive, convoluted and a little underwhelming.

I mean, first we have the Spiderman trilogy, which was never properly concluded. Then we got a reboot. Never ckncluded. Now Spiderman version 3.0 is out and we will also have to follow a bunch of others in a never ending universe alongside him.

It isn't a story it's a mess and the worst part for many is that IT IS EVERYWHERE and it's almost like Hollywood is focusing mostly on these sorts of films. Even actors and others in the industry say they miss event movies being dramas and intelligent scripts. And yes, I would throw ALL franchises into the mix. Even the ones I like. Because Hollywood is currently franchise mad, and any original idea seems to be developed with the intention of carrying it over for film after film after film.

I have no issue with superhero movies. I just miss when they were fun and not so deadly serious and all caught up in this never ending tangle of plot threads and individual franchises.

I can't say Captain America is a real trilogy because to understand Captain America three you need to see various other movies before it.

It's just a nightmare.

Sequels and franchises...remember when you said anime is everywhere in Japan? And for you that can be a bad thing?

Try cinemas here.

So many indie films and even Hollywood dramas I wanted to see at the cinema and hardly any of them show for long.

I really want to see a film called Love And Friendship, but it will very likely only play in big cities. But a superhero movie will never leave the cinema until sometimes a couple of weeks before the DVD release.

I'm not that far removed from the West. I did grow up and spend most of my life there after all. J-anime and manga exposure here exponentially exceed the exposure in the West that superhero flicks get. It's hard to explain the overexposure of things here if you haven't visited. It's not too uncommon to see exactly the same tv commercial 3 times in a row one after the other. They really beat the hell out of a gag or essentially anything that's remotely popular. I'm straying off topic but a few years ago the phrase "Hee Haw" became so popular here that it was being repeated in all kinds of media. "Hee haw"? They didn't even know what it really meant BUT since a popular celeb said it ONCE it then stuck around for a few months until the next popular catchphrase took its place.

Getting back on topic...

Funnily, there is often the complaint of these superhero characters crossing over, it being a mess, and not knowing the story if you had missed a previous one bla bla bla. But these things were already happening in comics 50 years ago. In the 60s, The Justice League and Avengers comics in particular were the ultimate crossing over of characters. Fans loved it because they got all their favorites in one magazine. Comics boomed especially then. These team ups/crossovers were a big reason for that boom. It's now happening in superhero movies. DC f***ed up their first attempt at a crossover with Bats v Supes. Marvel didn't. A lot of people want more. And they'll get it.

I will say I have quite high hopes for Suicide Squad. By the looks if it, much like Guardians Of The Galaxy, we may have a really fun movie on our hands!

Suicide Squad in a bit skeptical about. However, I do think Jared Leto will be fine as Joker. He's a good actor IMHO so I'm not worried about that. I'm worried that there are too many characters to work with AND I'm not too thrilled about some of the other cast. I'll check it out though I'm sure.

I just hope, whatever flaws it might have, Suicide Squad is a return to just being a fun movie. I remember being really sceptical about Guardians, but it turned out to be really great fun!

Margot Robbie and Jared Leto look really promising. The rest of the cast? Meh...Will Smith still looks like he is in SERIOUS ACTOR MODE. He has his naysayers, but I grew up loving his movies, but I haven't liked any since I, Robot (one of my favourite films as a matter of fact). But he looks flat out terrible in the trailers.

Ant Man I will watch. I just need time out from superheroes, but these titles do look fun. I am not sure I want to see Batman vs Superman. Yes, I loved Man Of Steel but the feedback and my own gut instinct tells me I am going to hate it.

See, I can discuss superhero movies without hating! Haha! I just wish they'd take a little break...

Well, Suicide Squad director David Ayer isn't exactly known for "fun" movies. Not saying he's bad but his flicks seem more serious and intense. And the last two Superman movies are definite attempts to make DC characters more serious and dark...which I think is one point where they're mucking up.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "fun" though. When I think "fun", I think Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Ahh I see!

Gotcha!

It's just a nightmare.

Try cinemas here.

Getting back on topic...

Well, Suicide Squad director David Ayer isn't exactly known for "fun" movies. Not saying he's bad but his flicks seem more serious and intense. And the last two Superman movies are definite attempts to make DC characters more serious and dark...which I think is one point where they're mucking up.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "fun" though. When I think "fun", I think Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy.

By "fun" I mean like...intense, crazy and iconic. Seriously I have high hopes for it based just off two cast members...possibly going to end in heartbreak.

Fun was not the best word to use...

Ahh I see!

Gotcha!

It's just a nightmare.

Try cinemas here.

Getting back on topic...

By "fun" I mean like...intense, crazy and iconic. Seriously I have high hopes for it based just off two cast members...possibly going to end in heartbreak.

Fun was not the best word to use...

Ah.

The two Ayer written & directed movies I've seen in recent years...

End of Watch: was kind of intense and crazy. I can't say it had iconic characters though. Wasn't bad but I don't need to watch it again.

Sabotage: was pretty forgettable but had a few decent action sequences. I can't say that it had intensity, craziness, or iconic characters.

So, just based on Ayer I think it could go either way. They could've chosen a lot worse though.

Segue,

I just saw the 3rd trailer for Suicide Squad. Big difference from the 1st trailer that's pretty dark. But this 3rd one makes it look like a completely different movie. I wonder if this lighter, more playful trailer was because of the negative reaction from Bats v Supes' seriousness.

• Like 1

Segue,

I just saw the 3rd trailer for Suicide Squad. Big difference from the 1st trailer that's pretty dark. But this 3rd one makes it look like a completely different movie. I wonder if this lighter, more playful trailer was because of the negative reaction from Bats v Supes' seriousness.

I have to say I am a little confused as well, but you know, I still think the Dark Knight trilogy were mediocre films saved by excellent villians. If this movie is bad I reckon some of the cast will keep it afloat!

• Like 2

Segue,

I have to say I am a little confused as well, but you know, I still think the Dark Knight trilogy were mediocre films saved by excellent villians. If this movie is bad I reckon some of the cast will keep it afloat!

I didn't like the last DK movie.

And yeah, part 2 was all about Ledger's greatness...but I had problems with various little things in it. Still liked it though.

I'm in the minority and think Batman Begins is the best of that lot. Along the lines of your villains comment, Neeson was really good as Ra's Al Ghul.

Segue,

Segue, you should definitely see Ant Man it's really good.

• Like 1

Segue,

And yeah, part 2 was all about Ledger's greatness...but I had problems with various little things in it. Still liked it though.

I'm in the minority and think Batman Begins is the best of that lot. Along the lines of your villains comment, Neeson was really good as Ra's Al Ghul.

My only problem with any of the Nolan Batmans (Batmen?) is the stupid "I wanna' be Clint Eastwood but way worse" Batman voice.

Segue,

My only problem with any of the Nolan Batmans (Batmen?) is the stupid "I wanna' be Clint Eastwood but way worse" Batman voice.

It didn't bother me in the first one. But in part 2 Bale is going all out.

With all his tech, Wayne didn't have a voice modulator/inhibitor or some other gadget? It's not like they don't have them in the comics.

Or hell, even I can change my voice without needing a throat lozenge after every other syllable uttered!

Segue,

I like the trilogy. Always have. But I remember people comparing The Dark Knight in the press to Citizen Kane and I was always like "huh?".

I do enjoy them, and I agree Batman Begins was good (but to be honest it took me several attempts to get to the halfway point, but once it finished I enjoyed it), and the next two were enjoyable...but Sheesh were they hyped up!

But I will always say regardless of my mixed reaction I always praise an ambitious project. They were not at all lazy attempts to bring back an old franchise.

Segue,

Christian Bale has been an actor I tend to really despise in movies. He is the worst Batman (I honestly prefer George Clooney), and by far the worst thing about Terminator Salvation.

Some great work from him as well but I have a real chip on my shoulder about him...he doesn't impress me at all in these mega serious roles.

That voice...first time I heard it I thought my TV broke.

And in the whole trilogy the only actor to properly enunciate and speak clearly was Michael Caine. I needed subtitles for nearly everyone else.

Just saw this movie. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit because of this guy right here. Mark my words--he will have his own movie. Character is just too good The Rush references were cool:

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/X-Men-Apocalypse-Movie-Quicksilver.jpg

Just saw this movie. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit because of this guy right here. Mark my words--he will have his own movie. Character is just too good The Rush references were cool:

The movie still hasn't come out here yet. (Probably the only country in the world that still hasn't seen it where it'll actually be shown).

How many Rush references were there?

Quicksilver won't get his own movie. Fox already has a lot of things on their plate or in mind (the last Wolverine movie, Gambit, Deadpool 2, X-Force, New Mutants) and a Quicksilver movie isn't one of them and has never been mentioned. He's always been a support character and has always worked best as one too. Tonally and personality-wise, he's more similar to the MCU Avengers version BUT he was more fun in the Fox version (Days of Future Past anyway...haven't seen this new one as I said). When I think more about it, Fox's Quicksilver resembles very little of the comic version. But I guess that doesn't matter to most viewers.

On a side note, Quicksilver's been in many more Avengers than X-Men stories and the whole double Quicksilver appearances in both movie franchises due to Fox & MCU's deal is pretty stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LIcOFvWqjk

The movie still hasn't come out here yet. (Probably the only country in the world that still hasn't seen it where it'll actually be shown).

How many Rush references were there?

Quicksilver won't get his own movie. Fox already has a lot of things on their plate or in mind (the last Wolverine movie, Gambit, Deadpool 2, X-Force, New Mutants) and a Quicksilver movie isn't one of them and has never been mentioned. He's always been a support character and has always worked best as one too. Tonally and personality-wise, he's more similar to the MCU Avengers version BUT he was more fun in the Fox version (Days of Future Past anyway...haven't seen this new one as I said). When I think more about it, Fox's Quicksilver resembles very little of the comic version. But I guess that doesn't matter to most viewers.

On a side note, Quicksilver's been in many more Avengers than X-Men stories and the whole double Quicksilver appearances in both movie franchises due to Fox & MCU's deal is pretty stupid.

I see your point. His relationship to Magneto is compelling, and the actor is just eating the character up. The dual quicksilver thing is interesting. MCU kills him off, and the X-Men version resembles nothing of the Pietro Maximoff character from my youth. He had ZERO presence back in the day it seemed.

The Rush references are in every scene with Quicksilver. His t-shirt, a poster on his wall, to his leg cast that has "I Luv Rush" on it. Pretty cool

• Like 1

I watched "X-Men: Apocalypse" official trailer before I went to see it in 3-D in the theatres. I liked it, and the movie. Edited by Derek19