X-Men: Apocalypse Official Trailer

Principled Man

It was pretty good, the scene with Magneto in the forest was extremely powerful

How does it stack up to the other X-Men movies?

Better than (x) but not as good as (y).

Best one?

If you like Days of... you'll like this one. It's on par, maybe a slight touch better.

I DID like Days of Future Past so that's good to hear.

After soaking it in a bit, I'm gonna put it between First Class and Days... the others are in a different time line and are dead to me. :)

:LOL:

The two Wolverine movies are dead to me because they're garbage. :LOL:

Just saw that it got 48% from 230 reviews on RottenTomatoes.

I understand that... Apocalypse was way too weak of a character for what I'd expect. Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Movie was alright. Not my favorite X-men movie, but not bad.

I get a little bit tired of superhero movies that portray an apocalypse ala Micheal Bay style.

I know this movie was called X-Men Apocolypse so I should have expected it, and I did, I just get tired of watching digital skyscrapers being destroyed.

• Like 3

I get a little bit tired of superhero movies that portray an apocalypse ala Micheal Bay style.

I know this movie was called X-Men Apocolypse so I should have expected it, and I did, I just get tired of watching digital skyscrapers being destroyed.

It could very well be that superhero films have run their course. When the Avengers' Infinity War films are done, audiences may be pretty sick of it all.

• Like 1

It could very well be that superhero films have run their course. When the Avengers' Infinity War films are done, audiences may be pretty sick of it all.

It will have been 19 years from X-Men 1 to Infinity War 2. That's a pretty long sustain. But I think they can continue keeping interest...as long as they don't keep doing the Michael Bay garbage. Captain America 2 and Avengers 1 & 2 had mass amounts of destruction but it wasn't simple mindlessness like what went down in the Snyder Superman films for example. THAT is what people get tired of.

Most important is that the MCU needs ALL of the characters back. Fewer than half of the Fox run X-Men/X-Men related movies have been good and ALL of the Fantastic Four movies have been dreadful. Quite frankly, those guys just don't understand the characters. Hence, the bad writing and just inserting explosions and skyscrapers collapsing.

The MCU films have done a good job mimicking the tone of their individual comics....and those comics have sustained for decades and decades. The movies can do that if they're smart with the characters.

• Like 3

It will have been 19 years from X-Men 1 to Infinity War 2. That's a pretty long sustain. But I think they can continue keeping interest...as long as they don't keep doing the Michael Bay garbage. Captain America 2 and Avengers 1 & 2 had mass amounts of destruction but it wasn't simple mindlessness like what went down in the Snyder Superman films for example. THAT is what people get tired of.

Most important is that the MCU needs ALL of the characters back. Fewer than half of the Fox run X-Men/X-Men related movies have been good and ALL of the Fantastic Four movies have been dreadful. Quite frankly, those guys just don't understand the characters. Hence, the bad writing and just inserting explosions and skyscrapers collapsing.

The MCU films have done a good job mimicking the tone of their individual comics....and those comics have sustained for decades and decades. The movies can do that if they're smart with the characters.

great post.
  • Like 2

Totally agree. The best parts of Age of Ultron, in my opinion, were the short side plots that dealt with the characters. Hawkeye and Black Widow's stories, Steve Rogers almost lifting Thor's hammer, etc. I go to these films not just to see superhuman fights and mass destruction, but mainly to see these superheroes come to LIFE. I want to believe that they are REAL......if only for a few hours.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 3

Totally agree. The best parts of Age of Ultron, in my opinion, were the short side plots that dealt with the characters. Hawkeye and Black Widow's stories, Steve Rogers almost lifting Thor's hammer, etc. I go to these films not just to see superhuman fights and mass destruction, but mainly to see these superheroes come to LIFE. I want to believe that they are REAL......if only for a few hours.

:goodone:

Amen, character development is always critical. Without it, you lose all interest in whatever plot there is.

One thing about destroying cities or the entire planet is that, as someone watching the movie, unless you have some kind of attachment to what’s being destroyed, you develop a sense of apathy and so it becomes meaningless. That’s how the transformers movies were to me. If you compare that to the destruction in Independence Day, where the movie had developed characters who were placed in those cities being destroyed, it makes it more meaningful when the destruction happens. I guess what I’m saying is that these movies need to spend more time in developing the character of the cities themselves so that there’s more concern when Magneto tears down a building or the Decepticons destroy Chicago.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the next X-Men flick will be set in the 90s. Also, screenwriter Simon Kinberg wants to do a proper Dark Phoenix saga that's more in line with the comics. That's funny to me since he was one half of the writing team that messed it up back in X3! You wouldn't need to revisit it if it had been done properly in the first place fool! :LOL:

Bryan Singer wants to do one EITHER in space... which would mean the alien race Shi'ar and a boatload of characters + the Starjammers (think Guardians of the Galaxy) which has Cyclops' long lost daddy leading that team. The X-flicks have never juggled multiple characters very well...except for X2. So, I wouldn't want this.

OR

Singer's other idea is having the powerful mutant Proteus (Moira's kid) as the focus. I'd go with this if I were king. There'd be murder and you wouldn't need a team of no more than 5 or 6 X-Men. Fewer is better IMHO.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Amen, character development is always critical. Without it, you lose all interest in whatever plot there is.

One thing about destroying cities or the entire planet is that, as someone watching the movie, unless you have some kind of attachment to what’s being destroyed, you develop a sense of apathy and so it becomes meaningless. That’s how the transformers movies were to me. If you compare that to the destruction in Independence Day, where the movie had developed characters who were placed in those cities being destroyed, it makes it more meaningful when the destruction happens. I guess what I’m saying is that these movies need to spend more time in developing the character of the cities themselves so that there’s more concern when Magneto tears down a building or the Decepticons destroy Chicago.

I didn't like ID4 but I agree with this thought.

Someone on TRF once said watching a Transformers battle scene was like watching your fully stocked cutlery drawer as it's thrown in the air. :LOL:

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but written on Quicksilver's cast near the end is 'I Love Rush.' I'd definitely put this behind Days Of Future Past and maybe even First Class.

What were the good and bad bits?

But no spoilers please.

They're all kind of starting to run together now for me.

We're at the point (past the point?) where we're oversaturated with Super Hero movies.

I'm not super psyched to see this movie for example, but I was a year ago.

• Like 1

We're at the point (past the point?) where we're oversaturated with Super Hero movies.

That's exactly how I feel. But I like to see movies so I go anyway. I find that I like them better if I have low expectations so it probably enhances the experience.

One thing that worries me is that all of the planned Star Wars movies will do the same thing in a few years.

You could put superhero movies into just another movie genre.

This year there are 2 MCU movies that I can think of (Cap 3 & Doc Strange), 2 from the X-Men camp (Deadpool & Apocalypse), and 2 from DC (Bats v Supes & Suicide Squad). Not sure if I've missed anything.

Take another movie genre and surely there are more than 6 in that particular category this year.

In perspective, JUST from Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, and Harry Potter we got 14 flicks (+ the Potter spinoff being released later this year which would make it 15). And that's just PART of the fantasy genre. There've been plenty more where that came from.

Harry Potter isn't a genre. It is fantasy. And to be fair, outside of HP and LOTR very few, if any, fantasy films were highly praised.

Superhero films are definitely close to having their day for now. It isn't the number of films only, it is the media saturation and the coverage of the films is insanely in your face. When you see the awards nominations sometimes it is gobsmacking to think their are any non superhero films coming out.

Also, Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings had an appropriate number of films. In an ideal world, Deathly Hallows would be just one film, but truthfully both parts were better adaptations than a couple of the other films and Lord Of The Rings needed to be a trilogy. Only real headscratcher is The Hobbit Trilogy.

J.K. Rowling's new franchise, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, is just another work from the author rather than another really frustrating stab at a worn out genre. At this point there is much she can still do with her universe because so far we have only seen ONE story.

But superhero films are becoming a real pain for those who don't like them. It really is sad that most great dramas come out and win awards but you rarely see then marketed as well as a superhero film unless they have a big name director

Harry Potter isn't a genre. It is fantasy. And to be fair, outside of HP and LOTR very few, if any, fantasy films were highly praised.

Superhero films are definitely close to having their day for now. It isn't the number of films only, it is the media saturation and the coverage of the films is insanely in your face. When you see the awards nominations sometimes it is gobsmacking to think their are any non superhero films coming out.

Also, Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings had an appropriate number of films. In an ideal world, Deathly Hallows would be just one film, but truthfully both parts were better adaptations than a couple of the other films and Lord Of The Rings needed to be a trilogy. Only real headscratcher is The Hobbit Trilogy.

J.K. Rowling's new franchise, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, is just another work from the author rather than another really frustrating stab at a worn out genre. At this point there is much she can still do with her universe because so far we have only seen ONE story.

But superhero films are becoming a real pain for those who don't like them. It really is sad that most great dramas come out and win awards but you rarely see then marketed as well as a superhero film unless they have a big name director

I knew my post would light under fire under you. :LOL:

But yeah, I didn't call Potter a genre. I said it was part of the fantasy genre. Read my post again. And I wasn't ripping it or the Tolkien stuff. I was saying that plenty of movies within a certain genre come out (like all the fantasy movies) and nobody thinks anything. I could've just as easily picked the genre of action movies. But for whatever reason, superhero movies get this negative attention of "I'm tired of all the superhero movies." Well, I'm tired of Vin Diesel driving fast cars. I'm tired of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton doing the same damn thing together again and again. :LOL:

Many people don't like superhero movies. Yeah, I get it. But the number of those flicks are no more absurd than the number of movies in the genres of fantasy, action, horror, etc.

• Like 1

Interestingly, back in 2010 there was discussion (not on TRF) about superhero movies saturating the cinemas. But since then, if anything, it's picked up and NOT diminished (as many predicted).

The two Avengers films alone made $2.9 BILLION at the box office. No way is the genre going to die out soon when it's raking in that kind of money.

Also, I don't get the onslaught of tv commercials for these movies out here in the Far East. So there's that.

But yeah, I didn't call Potter a genre. I said it was part of the fantasy genre. Read my post again. And I wasn't ripping it or the Tolkien stuff. I was saying that plenty of movies within a certain genre come out (like all the fantasy movies) and nobody thinks anything. I could've just as easily picked the genre of action movies. But for whatever reason, superhero movies get this negative attention of "I'm tired of all the superhero movies." Well, I'm tired of Vin Diesel driving fast cars. I'm tired of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton doing the same damn thing together again and again. :LOL:

Many people don't like superhero movies. Yeah, I get it. But the number of those flicks are no more absurd than the number of movies in the genres of fantasy, action, horror, etc.

Ahh I see!

Gotcha!

I think to be honest mamy are tiring of the whole "Marvel Universe" thing. I know plenty who just want a superhero movie standalone, and not have to keep up constantly and watch every movie in order to get the most from Avengers movie number whatever.

It is why I really disliked Captain America 2. I would have loved a straight sequel to the first one without it being all tied up with everything else.

I also loved Man Of Steel. But now they are kickstarting a DC universe and it's just mental. Unlike fantasy or action movies that have straight sequels, superhero movies are now fully focused on tying together various little franchises into one huge franchise and it's now getting repetitive, convoluted and a little underwhelming.

I mean, first we have the Spiderman trilogy, which was never properly concluded. Then we got a reboot. Never ckncluded. Now Spiderman version 3.0 is out and we will also have to follow a bunch of others in a never ending universe alongside him.

It isn't a story it's a mess and the worst part for many is that IT IS EVERYWHERE and it's almost like Hollywood is focusing mostly on these sorts of films. Even actors and others in the industry say they miss event movies being dramas and intelligent scripts. And yes, I would throw ALL franchises into the mix. Even the ones I like. Because Hollywood is currently franchise mad, and any original idea seems to be developed with the intention of carrying it over for film after film after film.

I have no issue with superhero movies. I just miss when they were fun and not so deadly serious and all caught up in this never ending tangle of plot threads and individual franchises.

I can't say Captain America is a real trilogy because to understand Captain America three you need to see various other movies before it.

It's just a nightmare.

Sequels and franchises...remember when you said anime is everywhere in Japan? And for you that can be a bad thing?

Try cinemas here.

So many indie films and even Hollywood dramas I wanted to see at the cinema and hardly any of them show for long.

I really want to see a film called Love And Friendship, but it will very likely only play in big cities. But a superhero movie will never leave the cinema until sometimes a couple of weeks before the DVD release.

As for X Men, I always found these films to be incredibly poor. But I do like Wolverine.

Edited by Segue Myles

It's hard to explain how I feel...I don't want to say I wish superhero films would die, they are great escapism if you enjoy this sort of thing (which I really do in the right frame of mind), but I do wish Hollywood was more balanced. It again isn't about the number of films, it's the media control.

But then again their is always a lot of money involved in promoting these movies. But so often great movies outside of sci-fo/action/superhero go unnoticed except for awards season. YES THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS but look at the top ten movies for every year of the new century.

Not much variety.

I feel the same way when I see really rubbish animated films gross millions and great little masterpieces like Ponyo or the little seen The Illusionist fall by the wayside. Then again both were not Hollywood productions so that's a terrible comparison!

Yup Segue, those are all fair points.

My only point really was that the superhero movies (or genre) are no more saturating the cinemas than any other genre. My additional point was that they won't be dying soon because of the money.

Thinking about the last James Bond movie, the plot of that was deeply connected to the other Craig Bond flicks. I wonder if a moviegoer who hadn't seen the other Craig Bond movies would've been able to follow it well enough. I'm not complaining, it's just how it is. And it's along the lines of what you're saying in regards to building a never ending franchise with intricate plots that are woven into preceding films.

Ahh I see!

Gotcha!

I think to be honest mamy are tiring of the whole "Marvel Universe" thing. I know plenty who just want a superhero movie standalone, and not have to keep up constantly and watch every movie in order to get the most from Avengers movie number whatever.

It is why I really disliked Captain America 2. I would have loved a straight sequel to the first one without it being all tied up with everything else.

I also loved Man Of Steel. But now they are kickstarting a DC universe and it's just mental. Unlike fantasy or action movies that have straight sequels, superhero movies are now fully focused on tying together various little franchises into one huge franchise and it's now getting repetitive, convoluted and a little underwhelming.

I mean, first we have the Spiderman trilogy, which was never properly concluded. Then we got a reboot. Never ckncluded. Now Spiderman version 3.0 is out and we will also have to follow a bunch of others in a never ending universe alongside him.

It isn't a story it's a mess and the worst part for many is that IT IS EVERYWHERE and it's almost like Hollywood is focusing mostly on these sorts of films. Even actors and others in the industry say they miss event movies being dramas and intelligent scripts. And yes, I would throw ALL franchises into the mix. Even the ones I like. Because Hollywood is currently franchise mad, and any original idea seems to be developed with the intention of carrying it over for film after film after film.

I have no issue with superhero movies. I just miss when they were fun and not so deadly serious and all caught up in this never ending tangle of plot threads and individual franchises.

I can't say Captain America is a real trilogy because to understand Captain America three you need to see various other movies before it.

It's just a nightmare.

Sequels and franchises...remember when you said anime is everywhere in Japan? And for you that can be a bad thing?

Try cinemas here.

So many indie films and even Hollywood dramas I wanted to see at the cinema and hardly any of them show for long.

I really want to see a film called Love And Friendship, but it will very likely only play in big cities. But a superhero movie will never leave the cinema until sometimes a couple of weeks before the DVD release.

I'm not that far removed from the West. I did grow up and spend most of my life there after all. J-anime and manga exposure here exponentially exceed the exposure in the West that superhero flicks get. It's hard to explain the overexposure of things here if you haven't visited. It's not too uncommon to see exactly the same tv commercial 3 times in a row one after the other. They really beat the hell out of a gag or essentially anything that's remotely popular. I'm straying off topic but a few years ago the phrase "Hee Haw" became so popular here that it was being repeated in all kinds of media. "Hee haw"? They didn't even know what it really meant BUT since a popular celeb said it ONCE it then stuck around for a few months until the next popular catchphrase took its place.

Getting back on topic...

Funnily, there is often the complaint of these superhero characters crossing over, it being a mess, and not knowing the story if you had missed a previous one bla bla bla. But these things were already happening in comics 50 years ago. In the 60s, The Justice League and Avengers comics in particular were the ultimate crossing over of characters. Fans loved it because they got all their favorites in one magazine. Comics boomed especially then. These team ups/crossovers were a big reason for that boom. It's now happening in superhero movies. DC f***ed up their first attempt at a crossover with Bats v Supes. Marvel didn't. A lot of people want more. And they'll get it.

Ahh I see!

Gotcha!

It's just a nightmare.

Try cinemas here.

I'm not that far removed from the West. I did grow up and spend most of my life there after all. J-anime and manga exposure here exponentially exceed the exposure in the West that superhero flicks get. It's hard to explain the overexposure of things here if you haven't visited. It's not too uncommon to see exactly the same tv commercial 3 times in a row one after the other. They really beat the hell out of a gag or essentially anything that's remotely popular. I'm straying off topic but a few years ago the phrase "Hee Haw" became so popular here that it was being repeated in all kinds of media. "Hee haw"? They didn't even know what it really meant BUT since a popular celeb said it ONCE it then stuck around for a few months until the next popular catchphrase took its place.

Getting back on topic...

Funnily, there is often the complaint of these superhero characters crossing over, it being a mess, and not knowing the story if you had missed a previous one bla bla bla. But these things were already happening in comics 50 years ago. In the 60s, The Justice League and Avengers comics in particular were the ultimate crossing over of characters. Fans loved it because they got all their favorites in one magazine. Comics boomed especially then. These team ups/crossovers were a big reason for that boom. It's now happening in superhero movies. DC f***ed up their first attempt at a crossover with Bats v Supes. Marvel didn't. A lot of people want more. And they'll get it.

I will say I have quite high hopes for Suicide Squad. By the looks if it, much like Guardians Of The Galaxy, we may have a really fun movie on our hands!

I have yet to see Ant Man or Deadpool, but I have heard both are great.

Ahh I see!

Gotcha!

It's just a nightmare.

Try cinemas here.

Getting back on topic...

I will say I have quite high hopes for Suicide Squad. By the looks if it, much like Guardians Of The Galaxy, we may have a really fun movie on our hands!

I have yet to see Ant Man or Deadpool, but I have heard both are great.

Ant-Man IS good stuff. Just a fun movie.

I haven't seen Deadpool though I've heard nothing but good stuff about it too.

Suicide Squad in a bit skeptical about. However, I do think Jared Leto will be fine as Joker. He's a good actor IMHO so I'm not worried about that. I'm worried that there are too many characters to work with AND I'm not too thrilled about some of the other cast. I'll check it out though I'm sure.