The Kinks

rushgoober

Has anyone heard the 1968 album "Village Green Preservation Society" by the Kinks? Mostly on the poppy side for the Kinks, this album to me rivals any album by any British invation band from the 60's including The Bealtes, and is right up there with The Zombies' Odessey and Oracle. It's full of engaging, effortlessly enjoyable songs, without a bad track in the bunch. This is essentially a concept album, even if it's not clearly stated. It's about nostalgia, a longing for childhood, innocence and all things that are lost, and every song tackles these feelings from one point or another. It really is a beautiful album featuring the song "Picture Book" that many people will recognize from recent Hewlett-Packard commercials. Anyone else familiar with this album?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 31 2005, 02:24 AM)
Better than the White Album? no.gif

i didn't say it was better than any beatles album, just way up there in that league - ok, the beatles might be an unfair comparison since they were so far above pretty much everyone, but i was more trying to make a point of what an amazing album this is...

Ok... sorry for the tiny post. I was in a hurry and just randomly typed that. I just popped in the album and gave it a listen, because I hadn't heard it in awhile.

I agree with you that all of the songs on this album are easily enjoyable. Nothing super-awesome-incredimazing, but all good songs.

My three favourites would have to be... "The Last of the Steam-Powered Trains", "All of My Friends Were There" and of course, "Picture Book". Which I thought was used great in those commercials.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 31 2005, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 31 2005, 02:24 AM)
Better than the White Album?  no.gif

i didn't say it was better than any beatles album, just way up there in that league - ok, the beatles might be an unfair comparison since they were so far above pretty much everyone, but i was more trying to make a point of what an amazing album this is...

You said it rivals any of the British Invasion band including The Beatles and I was just saying IMO no it doesn't when it comes to the Beatles....Also it doesn't compare to several Who albums or Stones albums as well..just IMO....I've listened to Village Green Preservation Society and wasn't too impressed with it....Loal vs. Powerman is way better...as a matter of fact the only full album I really like by them along with a few choice songs...

Archived