The Official Lacuna Coil Thread

Segue Myles

Too bad he's not a well adjusted person like say the guys in Motley Crue.

The guys in Motley never tried to shove their beliefs down other people's throats.

They've been too popular for too long, there's no way they haven't done that before. Vince Neil once killed a man while he was driving drunk and never served any time for it. Which is worse than telling people about your religious/political beliefs.

Since Mustaine became a born again Christian in the early 2000s I have not seen that much of it pop up his songwriting. There's biblical things mentioned but it's on par with how much any other metal band would use it. He's an angry, paranoid, don't trust anyone conspiracy theorists like he's always been and the bulk of his songwriting still reflects that.

So, this is a Lacuna Coil thread. How about we get back on topic now?

Too bad he's not a well adjusted person like say the guys in Motley Crue.

The guys in Motley never tried to shove their beliefs down other people's throats.

They've been too popular for too long, there's no way they haven't done that before. Vince Neil once killed a man while he was driving drunk and never served any time for it. Which is worse than telling people about your religious/political beliefs.

Since Mustaine became a born again Christian in the early 2000s I have not seen that much of it pop up his songwriting. There's biblical things mentioned but it's on par with how much any other metal band would use it. He's an angry, paranoid, don't trust anyone conspiracy theorists like he's always been and the bulk of his songwriting still reflects that.

So, this is a Lacuna Coil thread. How about we get back on topic now?

I think To Live Is To Hide is one of the greatest songs ever

Bite me naysayers haha

And on top of that, I think Karmacode, Shallow Life, Dark Adrenaline and Broken Crown get too much hate.

I find it to be less hate, and more "no attention at all".

I don't get it to be honest. I hear a perfect flow from album to album. Aside from maybe Shallow Life which I still admire them for.

Broken Crown Halo is a top three LC album for me.

And on top of that, I think Karmacode, Shallow Life, Dark Adrenaline and Broken Crown get too much hate.

I don't get the hate for BCH. But it came out too late for a lot of fans. A lot of them jumped shipped with Karmacode and a hell of a lot more did so with Shallow Life. Despite the fact that they started to get back to the LC a lot of them loved before Karmacode with DA and completely returned to form on BCH, it was too late for a lot of people and they just didn't care anymore.

As i've said before, BCH brought me back after they lost me with Karma and SL. But most fans don't keep coming back like that once they think a band has burned them with a couple bad releases. They forget about them and move on. I think DA and BCH will be looked on more favorable over time.

I'm not really sure what the wider opinion is about Delirium though. I haven't really read or heard much about what people think outside of us here. I'm sure Segue has a better idea since he's King LC fan.

I don't get the hate for BCH. But it came out too late for a lot of fans. A lot of them jumped shipped with Karmacode and a hell of a lot more did so with Shallow Life. Despite the fact that they started to get back to the LC a lot of them loved before Karmacode with DA and completely returned to form on BCH, it was too late for a lot of people and they just didn't care anymore.

As i've said before, BCH brought me back after they lost me with Karma and SL. But most fans don't keep coming back like that once they think a band has burned them with a couple bad releases. They forget about them and move on. I think DA and BCH will be looked on more favorable over time.

I'm not really sure what the wider opinion is about Delirium though. I haven't really read or heard much about what people think outside of us here. I'm sure Segue has a better idea since he's King LC fan.

Sadly...I think now LC have an audience mainly of those few older fans who never jumped ship.

Also, I think Delirium has been a little tough for some fans. It's such a cold album in many ways I have noticed a lot of fans enjoy it...but have said they miss some of that warmth from older albums. I do think it's a very clinical sounding album. A lot of strengths but at the same time...to be truthfully honest it has too much filler.

The venues they play in the UK are tiny now. They were doing so well in the UK with Karmacode but honestly, Shallow Life ruined them (and it is not hard to understand why gothic metal fans who fell in love with songs like My Wings, Swamped, 1:19 or Heavens A Lie would struggle to listen to an album with songs like I Like It, Spellbound or I Won't Tell You).

I think they are a bit like Kings X in the sense that the first few albums were heavily praised and adored, but somewhere along the way the buzz fell apart. And as much as I love Andrea, I think Lacuna Coil made a mistake in many ways by pushing Cri to the back. The music videos as well are mostly very poorly conceived and executed, and whilst I love Dark Adrenaline, I think they once again made the mistake of release the popper songs as singles (why they thought Fire was as good choice over something dramatic like I Don't Believe In Tomorrow or even the hooky Give Me Something More I will never understand).

Broken Crown Halo to my ears is the album that should have come either before or after Karmacode. The press went crazy for it but sadly...the fans didn't. A lot of this, again, is due to poor marketing and the music videos were dreadful, and came out way after the album dropped (so...buzzkill). Delirium is a really great album in many ways but I think at this point, it is a little late really to claim back all that they lost.

Shallow Life is an album I enjoy but it is one of the most foolish artistic mistakes I have ever heard or seen. Why on earth they chose Don Gilmore to produce I will never know. He completely misunderstood everything that made LC such a huge part of the early 00's metal scene. It was a big mistake and even I was a little confused going into it.

• Like 1

Sadly...I think now LC have an audience mainly of those few older fans who never jumped ship.

Also, I think Delirium has been a little tough for some fans. It's such a cold album in many ways I have noticed a lot of fans enjoy it...but have said they miss some of that warmth from older albums. I do think it's a very clinical sounding album. A lot of strengths but at the same time...to be truthfully honest it has too much filler.

The venues they play in the UK are tiny now. They were doing so well in the UK with Karmacode but honestly, Shallow Life ruined them (and it is not hard to understand why gothic metal fans who fell in love with songs like My Wings, Swamped, 1:19 or Heavens A Lie would struggle to listen to an album with songs like I Like It, Spellbound or I Won't Tell You).

I think they are a bit like Kings X in the sense that the first few albums were heavily praised and adored, but somewhere along the way the buzz fell apart. And as much as I love Andrea, I think Lacuna Coil made a mistake in many ways by pushing Cri to the back. The music videos as well are mostly very poorly conceived and executed, and whilst I love Dark Adrenaline, I think they once again made the mistake of release the popper songs as singles (why they thought Fire was as good choice over something dramatic like I Don't Believe In Tomorrow or even the hooky Give Me Something More I will never understand).

Broken Crown Halo to my ears is the album that should have come either before or after Karmacode. The press went crazy for it but sadly...the fans didn't. A lot of this, again, is due to poor marketing and the music videos were dreadful, and came out way after the album dropped (so...buzzkill). Delirium is a really great album in many ways but I think at this point, it is a little late really to claim back all that they lost.

Shallow Life is an album I enjoy but it is one of the most foolish artistic mistakes I have ever heard or seen. Why on earth they chose Don Gilmore to produce I will never know. He completely misunderstood everything that made LC such a huge part of the early 00's metal scene. It was a big mistake and even I was a little confused going into it.

I do agree that Cristina shouldn't be pushed back. Sometimes it feels like "Okay, what if Sharon den Adel and Johan Hegg (the singer of Amon Amarth) were in a band together and Johan growls and grunts the verses but Sharon will usually sing the chorus to the songs?" Naturally, fans of Sharon would want to hear her singing more. That's kind of what's going on with Lacuna Coil.

I do agree that Cristina shouldn't be pushed back. Sometimes it feels like "Okay, what if Sharon den Adel and Johan Hegg (the singer of Amon Amarth) were in a band together and Johan growls and grunts the verses but Sharon will usually sing the chorus to the songs?" Naturally, fans of Sharon would want to hear her singing more. That's kind of what's going on with Lacuna Coil.

Fans of Lacuna Coil want Andrea as he is...but I was referring more to the way it often seems they shy away from having Cri take centre stage in photoshoots and videos.

I actually respect them a lot for this. Because Cri said herself the band doesn't see having a female as a gimmick, and the entire band is now seen as a unit.

But I still think from a commercial standpoint, not relying on pushing her to the front has hurt them a little.

But no way do real Lacuna Coil fans want less Andrea. I have loved the last three albums a lot because they have used him to great effect more and more.

Yes, im aware of the difference between an LP and an EP but why do people always forget about the debut and third lacuna coil albums? I get kind of tired telling people that Reverie wasn't the first thing they released. Edited by fraroc

Yes, im aware of the difference between an LP and an EP but why do people always forget about the debut and third lacuna coil albums? I get kind of tired telling people that Reverie wasn't the first thing they released.

You're really telling so many people that Reverie wasn't their first release that you're tired of it?

I find that hard to believe since you've only been a fan for about ten minutes so far and this band is hardly a hot topic of conversation in the metal community.

Yes, im aware of the difference between an LP and an EP but why do people always forget about the debut and third lacuna coil albums? I get kind of tired telling people that Reverie wasn't the first thing they released.

You're really telling so many people that Reverie wasn't their first release that you're tired of it?

I find that hard to believe since you've only been a fan for about ten minutes so far and this band is hardly a hot topic of conversation in the metal community.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that some people almost seem to forget all about LC and Halflife.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that some people almost seem to forget all about LC and Halflife.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. EPs are rarely ever looked at the same way full length albums are. It's not exclusive to LC.

There has been over the years a lot of fan discussion about the EP's. Both were released as a one disc compilation called "The EP's" in 2005 and when they have performed songs live (notably the 2012 Dark Legacy tour), they were received with a lot of adoration.

Fraroc, I love your enthusiasm but LC are not a high profile band anymore. You've been a fan for like...two months...and it would be nicer to read your responses to songs rather than always have to read the same boring posts about how [insert here] is underrated, misunderstood or hated for no reason.

Just say something about why you like something. Obviously in this thread we all fans of this band to a certain degree. It's honestly a little irritating to read. Nothing Lacuna Coil have ever released has been overlooked. The debut EP even garnered very positive press in the UK before they even released In A Reverie. LC are not underrated either really, they were never going to be that band that unites a majority.

What they are is something incredibly special to many people are that's just fine.

Talk about the music and less about their perceived reputation.

It's almost as boring as always having my bud Mick compare every new band he hears to Dream Theater or Meat Loaf and make that a two page spread hahaha (love you Mick *kiss kiss*).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

There has been over the years a lot of fan discussion about the EP's. Both were released as a one disc compilation called "The EP's" in 2005 and when they have performed songs live (notably the 2012 Dark Legacy tour), they were received with a lot of adoration.

Fraroc, I love your enthusiasm but LC are not a high profile band anymore. You've been a fan for like...two months...and it would be nicer to read your responses to songs rather than always have to read the same boring posts about how [insert here] is underrated, misunderstood or hated for no reason.

Just say something about why you like something. Obviously in this thread we all fans of this band to a certain degree. It's honestly a little irritating to read. Nothing Lacuna Coil have ever released has been overlooked. The debut EP even garnered very positive press in the UK before they even released In A Reverie. LC are not underrated either really, they were never going to be that band that unites a majority.

What they are is something incredibly special to many people are that's just fine.

It's almost as boring as always having my bud Mick compare every new band he hears to Dream Theater or Meat Loaf and make that a two page spread hahaha (love you Mick *kiss kiss*).

Were LC really a "relevant, prolific band" to begin with? I guess that around the debut to Comalies, they were sort of riding on the wave of the whole Korn/Linkin Park nu-metal movement that Evanescence was a part of I'm the early 2000s, but as nu-metal died out in the mid 2000s, LC became less of a household name, or so it seems.

It also doesn't help that fans didn't like Karmacode and absolutely abhorred Shallow Life.

i just read this. and to be fair i just do those to watch you whine about how you don't hear it, lol.

i'm mean.

Mick

Were LC really a "relevant, prolific band" to begin with? I guess that around the debut to Comalies, they were sort of riding on the wave of the whole Korn/Linkin Park nu-metal movement that Evanescence was a part of I'm the early 2000s, but as nu-metal died out in the mid 2000s, LC became less of a household name, or so it seems.

It also doesn't help that fans didn't like Karmacode and absolutely abhorred Shallow Life.

Nope.

They never rode the nu-metal movement of the early 2000s at all. They ended up being influenced by it on Karmacode (some very nu-metal like riffs on that) but they were never part of that scene in the slightest.

They got some popularity in the metal world in the US when Comalies was released. Yes, a big part of that was people thinking Cristina was hot. It's not the best reason to like a band but it did give them attention. Their bigger break came when they got on Ozzfest in 2003 which at the time was the metal tour of the year and was pretty big in helping bands like System Of A Down, Slipknot and Disturbed make it huge a few years before that.

They had some really good hype for Comalies and Karmacode but it didn't last. They're just not the kind of band who was meant to stay popular for long. Also, changing musical styles on every album like they have since Karmacode plays a big part in alienating a lot of fans.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Nope.

They never rode the nu-metal movement of the early 2000s at all. They ended up being influenced by it on Karmacode (some very nu-metal like riffs on that) but they were never part of that scene in the slightest.

They got some popularity in the metal world in the US when Comalies was released. Yes, a big part of that was people thinking Cristina was hot. It's not the best reason to like a band but it did give them attention. Their bigger break came when they got on Ozzfest in 2003 which at the time was the metal tour of the year and was pretty big in helping bands like System Of A Down, Slipknot and Disturbed make it huge a few years before that.

They had some really good hype for Comalies and Karmacode but it didn't last. They're just not the kind of band who was meant to stay popular for long. Also, changing musical styles on every album like they have since Karmacode plays a big part in alienating a lot of fans.

True that they didn't intentionally try to be nu-metal, however they did get lumped in that category like Ev did. I don't consider LC and Ev to be nu-metal at all, however they just became associated with that genre for some reason.

Nope.

True that they didn't intentionally try to be nu-metal, however they did get lumped in that category like Ev did. I don't consider LC and Ev to be nu-metal at all, however they just became associated with that genre for some reason.

Nope.

Never heard of either one of them ever being considered nu-metal.

They were on the covers of over forty major magazines in 2006, charted with two top fifty singles in the UK and have had two top twenty albums in the US and were adored up until around Shallow Life.

Oh boy...

Fraroc...you needed to be there around 2000 to 2007 when gothic metal was at its commercial peak in the UK.

You're reading into to much that was never really there. LC faded as many bands faded commercially as did many bands on the scene around that time. It became over saturated with female fronted bands, most of whom copied a lot of LC's style (producer Waldemar Sorychta had a lot to do with that as well). And Shallow Life was the wrong album for their departure from that style. Karmacode is still a very European sounding album. That's why the nu metal flavours stand out so much.

Just talk about why you like this band it's really not in most people's interest to whine about why LC aren't massive.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Fraroc has such a diffwewnt way he listens to music.

i don't care about the celebrity aspect of these bands and which songs connected and which albums didn't.

What's on those records man?

Not getting on him. just interesting what he views in music.

Mick

Fraroc has such a diffwewnt way he listens to music.

i don't care about the celebrity aspect of these bands and which songs connected and which albums didn't.

What's on those records man?

Not getting on him. just interesting what he views in music.

Mick

I know I just find it boring. Especially as I've lived through the bands entire career since before Karmacode was even recorded.

I've been having these discussions with long term fans for nearly twelve years. It would just be nice to talk about the music.

• Like 2

Let me see....here's why Delirium in no ways thrills me personally..

1. No warmth. and i think Segue mentioned this. There's some great stuff. here but the Atmosphere is cold and downright exclusive to me. I always felt elier stuff had that nice vibe of join us if you like.....ya know?

2. From A Selfish standpoint. i was upset they didn't go for an electronic based album. Since they are ALWAYS hinting at it, lol. instead 10 seconds in i get.......RHAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! lol. I don't think we're gonna get along album, lol

3. It's badly produced........sorry i feel it is.

i just tried to do this to get back to the music.

hope this is ok, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000