The Official Lacuna Coil Thread

Segue Myles

I must confess, I have never heard this band. :blush:

What album represents them at their best ?

Karmacode is my fav......but it was also the hardest to get into.

Try Comalies.

That's the album that hooked me personally.

Mick

• Like 1

Finished listening to Comalies.

First impression is that they are worth further Investigation.

Unspoken was my favourite track on first hearing.

Would still prefer if the female was the only singer as the guy's accent was a bit too strong for me.

Will listen to a later album tomorrow, but certainly enjoyed Comalies.

I'm usually not happy if a rock album does not include a few solos, but they managed to retain my interest

without them. No boring tracks.

Possible fan in the making :D

• Like 2

Would still prefer if the female was the only singer as the guy's accent was a bit too strong for me.

I'm usually not happy if a rock album does not include a few solos, but they managed to retain my interest

Andrea.......the male singer.........was one barrier to me liking this band in the beginning

Cristina would be singing. then Andi would burst through and i'd be like dude get out, lol

He nearly drove me away truthfully.

but now i love him......i still think he should be kept in check and not overused. but the 2 voices bounce off each other nicely.

Mick

• Like 2

Andrea.......the male singer.........was one barrier to me liking this band in the beginning

Cristina would be singing. then Andi would burst through and i'd be like dude get out, lol

but now i love him......i still think he should be kept in check and not overused. but the 2 voices bounce off each other nicely.

Mick

The usage of death growls on Delirium really has an amazing sort dichotomy. You have the brutal, violent and barbaric screams and growls from Andy symbolizing the emotion of anger and the powerful, operatic, and emotional melodic singing from Cristina symbolising sadness and heartbreak....

You know, I just love Andrea.

foghorn-leghorn, next album Karmacode is a much better album for both vocalists. Try that!

• Like 1

Mick

The usage of death growls on Delirium really has an amazing sort dichotomy. You have the brutal, violent and barbaric screams and growls from Andy symbolizing the emotion of anger and the powerful, operatic, and emotional melodic singing from Cristina symbolising sadness and heartbreak....

You really need to look at changing your definition of what is "brutal and violent". You've used that before to describe HOS and nothing about Delirium fits those words.

Nice to see we may have a new fan here in foghorn. Comalies was the album that hooked me too.

Holy shit! That was 13 years ago already :o

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Mick

You really need to look at changing your definition of what is "brutal and violent". You've used that before to describe HOS and nothing about Delirium fits those words.

Nice to see we may have a new fan here in foghorn. Comalies was the album that hooked me too.

Well it's his first taste in these waters...I remember when I first heard "brutal" metal. Sounds tame looking back!

Mick

I'm talking about the album as a whole and not Delirium the song

Mick

I'm talking about the album as a whole and not Delirium the song

I know.

Nothing about the album is brutal or violent.

It's heavy and aggressive. If you want to hear brutal and violent metal, i'm sure I can dig something up for you :cool:

Even your average thrash is more musically brutal than Delirium.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

BTW I'm genuinely shocked at how many LC fans actually don't like Karmacode while I thought it was one of their best. I know that LC fans constantly have debates on whether Shallow Life, Dark Adrenaline and Broken Crown are good or not (half say they're good, the other half calls them shit), but I never knew that people had so much disdain for Karmacode... Edited by fraroc

BTW I'm genuinely shocked at how many LC fans actually don't like Karmacode while I thought it was one of their best. I know that LC fans constantly have debates on whether Shallow Life, Dark Adrenaline and Broken Crown are good or not (half say they're good, the other half calls them shit), but I never knew that people had so much disdain for Karmacode...

Over time my dislike for Karmacode has gone down a lot but man was that album a disappointment when it was released.

They broke big on the metal scene with Comalies. There was a ton of hype on them and the release of Karmacode was pretty big deal. It got as much hype as any non mainstream metal band could get. Fans were really anticipating how they would follow up the success of Comalies and then the album came out and they "shit the bed" as the saying goes.

People liked them because musically they were different than what was on the American metal scene at the time. They liked the European metal vibe they had. But with Karmacode, musically they went with the metal sound trends of the time in America and it turned a ton of fans off. The band that was special and stood out with their sound just a couple years before, now sounded like everyone else out there.

Plain and simple, they f'ing choked under the pressure and gave into what was popular instead of doing their own thing. Fans didn't buy it either as the massive support they had started going down. Then when they went pop with Shallow Life there was a mass exodus of fans that they never got back. Seriously, how the band survived that flop, i'll never know.

Nobody has really cared about the three albums that came after. Dark Adrenaline was a step in the right direction, some of it is really good. BCH is one of their best albums, it got me back into the band, but it fell on deaf ears it seems. Same with the new album, really good but a lot of older fans just don't care enough to give it a chance because they don't want to get burned again by the band if they don't like it.

Sorry if that went a little long but I wanted to give you an idea of why things are like this with the fans.

BTW I'm genuinely shocked at how many LC fans actually don't like Karmacode while I thought it was one of their best. I know that LC fans constantly have debates on whether Shallow Life, Dark Adrenaline and Broken Crown are good or not (half say they're good, the other half calls them shit), but I never knew that people had so much disdain for Karmacode...

Over time my dislike for Karmacode has gone down a lot but man was that album a disappointment when it was released.

They broke big on the metal scene with Comalies. There was a ton of hype on them and the release of Karmacode was pretty big deal. It got as much hype as any non mainstream metal band could get. Fans were really anticipating how they would follow up the success of Comalies and then the album came out and they "shit the bed" as the saying goes.

People liked them because musically they were different than what was on the American metal scene at the time. They liked the European metal vibe they had. But with Karmacode, musically they went with the metal sound trends of the time in America and it turned a ton of fans off. The band that was special and stood out with their sound just a couple years before, now sounded like everyone else out there.

Plain and simple, they f'ing choked under the pressure and gave into what was popular instead of doing their own thing. Fans didn't buy it either as the massive support they had started going down. Then when they went pop with Shallow Life there was a mass exodus of fans that they never got back. Seriously, how the band survived that flop, i'll never know.

Nobody has really cared about the three albums that came after. Dark Adrenaline was a step in the right direction, some of it is really good. BCH is one of their best albums, it got me back into the band, but it fell on deaf ears it seems. Same with the new album, really good but a lot of older fans just don't care enough to give it a chance because they don't want to get burned again by the band if they don't like it.

Sorry if that went a little long but I wanted to give you an idea of why things are like this with the fans.

Shallow Life is totally not pop and anyone who says it does is so full of it. Granted their sound on that album was more reminiscent of MCR and GC but heavier, but it's still not pop. Katy Perry is pop, LC is not.

Shallow Life is totally not pop and anyone who says it does is so full of it. Granted their sound on that album was more reminiscent of MCR and GC but heavier, but it's still not pop. Katy Perry is pop, LC is not.

Thank you.

Karmacode was a great album. It blew me and a lot of people away and was a smash with critics. Made them huge and the tours were uber successful and they were embraced by the likes of Megadeth and Judas Priest and festival success.

The bitter fans were outnumbered.

They did kinda shoot themselves in the foot with Shallow Life. I wasn't into it for a while myself.

Thank you.

Karmacode was a great album. It blew me and a lot of people away and was a smash with critics. Made them huge and the tours were uber successful and they were embraced by the likes of Megadeth and Judas Priest and festival success.

They did kinda shoot themselves in the foot with Shallow Life. I wasn't into it for a while myself.

Recently, I've been learning how to appreciate more sub-genres of Rock and metal instead of just hair metal and early 80s metal. Shallow Life is an excellent album for those who are a fan of the Green Day or My Chemical Romance sound while LCs other albums are definitely more suited to people who like bands such as Evanescence, Nightwish, Within Temptation and other modern metal bands. What makes Delirium so great is the fact that It's palatable for those who like Evanescence, Delain and We Are The Fallen or bands like Amon Amarth or Children Of Bodom.

Thank you.

Recently, I've been learning how to appreciate more sub-genres of Rock and metal instead of just hair metal and early 80s metal. Shallow Life is an excellent album for those who are a fan of the Green Day or My Chemical Romance sound while LCs other albums are definitely more suited to people who like bands such as Evanescence, Nightwish, Within Temptation and other modern metal bands. What makes Delirium so great is the fact that It's palatable for those who like Evanescence, Delain and We Are The Fallen or bands like Amon Amarth or Children Of Bodom.

I know so many people who loved Shallow Life. It did work for them, it wasn't the greatest record but I love the songs live. Dark Adrenaline was a real delight for me. Broken Crown Halo however has emerged as a contender for second best LC record. It means so much to me!

Lacuna Coil all round aren't going to ever please everybody. But they love diverse music, I have read enough interviews and articles to know they have never been fully into one style and even their earliest work reflects this.

The road from My Wings was always going to eventually lead to I Like It. And the rush of energy that made Dark Adrenaline such a thrill onstage is always going to be a beautiful thing to me.

Delirium is another side to the band. They just write the music they want to hear. They still defend Shallow Life. They loved that album and we're proud of it. And so they should be, if that's what they wanted to do! I remember when they were preparing Dark Adrenaline, they never said "we will get back to our roots", they said they wanted to take the template of Shallow Life and beef it up.

And that lead to the more straightforward approach that ended up making Broken Crown Halo a major masterpiece and now Delirium, an album with so much going on its still sinking in!

They just love what they do. It's always apparent to me. I think in many ways they have alienated people by not taking the easy route but being unpredictable and so damp sincere and passionate is why I love them so much.

And they are still proud of Karmacode. They even chose that album a few years back to play in full at a festival to commemorate some anniversary or something and it went down a treat!

And their adamant refusal to shut out Andrea and at times even use him ahead of Cri when surely they must know they could easily be more successful cashing in on just having Cri is really beautiful to me.

On the last two albums, he has truly been a delight to my ears. Their are moments on both records where I think he stuns, and puts Cri in her place.

House Of Shame, Victims, Zombies, Ultima Ratio, Bleed The Pain...I adore him so much.

Everything people hate them for at times are why I am so damn proud of them.

Cri has said in the past they have rejected songs they wrote for being too commercial. They know exactly what they are doing, and they know what they want each album to be.

I just am so proud of them.

I like Shallow Life a lot.

it's not pop though that's correct. but........heving heard everything. IT IS their most pop like. very hooky. instantly catchy instead of the usual grower. and i could totally see the hate for it.

my take anyway.

Mick

it's not pop though that's correct. but........heving heard everything. IT IS their most pop like. very hooky. instantly catchy instead of the usual grower. and i could totally see the hate for it.

my take anyway.

Mick

Exactly. Even I Like It, for all its glitter, has amazing contrasts. Those verses and that chorus...somehow it shouldn't work!

I will say though that I am not fond of Underdog. But the album and the bonus tracks...just a lovely album!

OK I legit love Shallow Life it's just one of the ones I least fanboy over.

I was quietly concerned about their future but then along came Dark Adrenaline and I was well chuffed!

• Like 1

my take anyway.

Mick

Exactly. Even I Like It, for all its glitter, has amazing contrasts. Those verses and that chorus...somehow it shouldn't work!

I will say though that I am not fond of Underdog. But the album and the bonus tracks...just a lovely album!

I was quietly concerned about their future but then along came Dark Adrenaline and I was well chuffed!

do you know how easy it would have been for them to just become a light run of the mill pop/rock band after Shallow Life?

credit to them for trying it and moving on.

Mick

my take anyway.

Mick

do you know how easy it would have been for them to just become a light run of the mill pop/rock band after Shallow Life?

credit to them for trying it and moving on.

Mick

To be honest I remember listening to all their albums, even Karmacode, wishing for just a few more pop nuggets with hooks like Unspoken, My Wings, Cold, Cold Heritage, Closer and Within Me. I loved all the melancholy but I also loved their knack for killer hooks. Then came Shallow Life...gave me a lot of what I actually wanted more of, maybe more than I really wanted to be honest...but it lead them to create a new era of very melodic and vocally vibrant pop metal albums.

The hooks are insane! Even on the new album, for all the noise, the melodies are mostly sublime.

• Like 1