How did you feel when you found out about Neil?

DadRockGirl

Come on Lucas, you promised to hit us with a shot of the tartan-clad boys every time I did that.

lol

Subtle !! ... I had to read it twice !

Moving Pictures too ?!?!?

Damn right.

• Like 1

Of course Neil deserves retirement at 62, but the way the band has been ended by one person, so far...

Sorry Neil supporters, but something as great as Rush deserves an end better than this bizarre, abrupt, secret society announcement (Jack Black on Aug 1, this bizarre interview) and the bizarre behaviour of the last couple of years, such as not being candid that he is planning on CA being his last studio album. And tour.

Not did he only catch fans by surprise in the spring, when "most likely the last tour of this magnitude" really meant Neil has been eyeing CA as his last album and tour, and had to be talked into R40 by Geddy and Al,that he is in fact done, effective abruptly in 35 tour dates.

Is it bizarre he would say nothing during CA? That he is contemplating being a retired drummer as early as 2013?

Is it bizarre he would not address this honestly during R40?

Is it bizarre he took Geddy, Alex and the entire Rush organization by surprise that he was not winding down, as the band had been doing since 2013, but he is absolutely done, no second leg as has been their norm for a long time, possibly no studio album commitment as promised to the folks that handed over $25 million for their publishing

Rush fans deserved better.

Geddy and Al deserved better.

His family deserved better.

..a second leg of 18 or so dates next year would not have been that detrimental, and could have given the fans and band a proper sendoff.

He hasn't said that the band is over.

Technically true, but his retirement comments to a journalist and daughter are concerning, as was the refusal to do a short second leg of R40.

He's wanted to quit touring for a long time. It's no big surprise like people are making it out to be.

Most dream of quitting their jobs and minimizing responsibilities as soon as possible. Of course Neil has the right to do that.

It's the manner in which this has been done. To cut short the R40 tour, no second leg, no international dates. Very possibly not fulfilling studio commitments to the folks that paid your band $25 million. Not speaking candidly with your loyal fans about wanting CA to be the last tour or the bizarre way this tour was handled. Having important band news about its lack of future leaked to the press. Bizarre and unfair way to treat a passionate and loyal fan base.

Ungrateful. Man you guys are demanding, petty little fans. You don't know how good you've had it. Virtually any other band hasn't come close to Rush's level of prolific offerings to their fanbase. But you guys just want more. Explain this, explain that. Do this, do that. Don't do this, don't do that.

LOL. It seriously makes you guys look really bad. If you guys get this upset over an offhand comment from the retired drummer for an interview...what do you do in real life when something of true impact occurs?

It's only a rock band, kids. 40 years is much much longer than most.

BE GRATEFUL. Stop bitching about shit you have no right to bitch about.

Caught by the Bard. All is right in the TRF universe.

Almost forgot to say, we'll have to include Geddy, Alex and the rest of the organization in the ungrateful category by not being thrilled with the Emperor's behaviour. Guess Alex throwing his retirement shirt gift in the trash wasn't hint enough.

I am a fan of DSO, so that counts towards being Grateful.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Since I got Mr Bard calling me ungrateful due to my comments about Mr Peart's abrupt and bizarre retirement behaviour, it would be a good time to reminisce about our "alleged" insiders post on the topic. It's an excellent read. Now if Bard and F are the same person, THAT would be something. This was from F a couple of months ago on TRF in a different string (thread)...

To think that G&A are not miffed by the situation would be naive. The inner circle, including Neil, are well aware of how they feel. There was a picture I posted a while back (someone else did too) that showed one of their last walks to the stage and it's very telling, IMO. Taken from behind, it shows Neil leading, followed by G&A walking next to each other. Neil appears as happy as a pig in shite, while G&A, not so much. Towards the end of the tour, Neil had a few shirts made - a picture taken of him from behind, riding his bike with his arms raised in the air (in victorious fashion) and a big red circle with a line through it covering the whole thing. The caption was something like, "the end of the road". He presented them to G&A and Alex promptly threw his in the nearest trash can. Of course, they have/would never let their feelings be known publicly, but this was not a fairy tale ending. There was no celebration together - no final night out together, as one might expect. Even at the end of tour bash, there was no touching moment where they all hugged, thanked each other for the amazing ride, and no heartfelt goodbyes. It just ended, with a LOT of mixed emotions.

IDK, maybe I'm biased, but for those who say that Neil deserves to be left alone and be with his family, you should take into consideration how HE orchestrated their swan song. IMO, it was a final FU to not only the whole organization, but also to the fans. Neil is a professional, and could have easily toughed it out for another 3 months to give his band mates, and especially the fans (who really deserved it), a proper last tour. It could have been handled differently, with a little more compassion, and a LOT more class. So I ask you to dig deep and wonder for a minute, did his actions seem like those of a team player who took everyone's wants & desires into consideration, or were they selfish and based only on what was best for Neil?

Since I got Mr Bard calling me ungrateful due to my comments about Mr Peart's abrupt and bizarre retirement behaviour, it would be a good time to reminisce about our "alleged" insiders post on the topic. It's an excellent read. Now if Bard and F are the same person, THAT would be something. This was from F a couple of months ago on TRF in a different string (thread)...

To think that G&A are not miffed by the situation would be naive. The inner circle, including Neil, are well aware of how they feel. There was a picture I posted a while back (someone else did too) that showed one of their last walks to the stage and it's very telling, IMO. Taken from behind, it shows Neil leading, followed by G&A walking next to each other. Neil appears as happy as a pig in shite, while G&A, not so much. Towards the end of the tour, Neil had a few shirts made - a picture taken of him from behind, riding his bike with his arms raised in the air (in victorious fashion) and a big red circle with a line through it covering the whole thing. The caption was something like, "the end of the road". He presented them to G&A and Alex promptly threw his in the nearest trash can. Of course, they have/would never let their feelings be known publicly, but this was not a fairy tale ending. There was no celebration together - no final night out together, as one might expect. Even at the end of tour bash, there was no touching moment where they all hugged, thanked each other for the amazing ride, and no heartfelt goodbyes. It just ended, with a LOT of mixed emotions.

IDK, maybe I'm biased, but for those who say that Neil deserves to be left alone and be with his family, you should take into consideration how HE orchestrated their swan song. IMO, it was a final FU to not only the whole organization, but also to the fans. Neil is a professional, and could have easily toughed it out for another 3 months to give his band mates, and especially the fans (who really deserved it), a proper last tour. It could have been handled differently, with a little more compassion, and a LOT more class. So I ask you to dig deep and wonder for a minute, did his actions seem like those of a team player who took everyone's wants & desires into consideration, or were they selfish and based only on what was best for Neil?

Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn and caldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the caldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt and toe of frog,

Wool of bat and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn and caldron bubble.

Cool it with a baboon's blood,

Then the charm is firm and good.

• Like 1

First post here. I have been following Rush since about the ATWAS days and have seen pretty much every tour since about 1978 or so. I was also posting on the old usenet/dejanews site, so I have been around the block in regards to the band. After reading most of the comments regarding Neil I think it comes down to Neil having enough of the road. I guess from his perspective he is probably thinking "How many shows is enough"? You really can't blame the guys though I am sometimes frustrated by his attitude towards fame, fans, etc. I believe he likes the fame and excitement more than he lets on.

And from Geddys and Alex's standpoint, look at how 'accepted' they have become in the last 10 years or so. Hall Of Fame, a movie, a documentary, packed arenas, happy fans, good reviews, etc. I mean seriously, can you imagine the Rush (no pun intended) they must get playing the Spirit Of Radio with 20,000 fans clapping along and seeing the happy faces in the flood lights? I mean talk about affirming. And now that has all come to an end without their say so.

I have always suspected a rift in the band as Neil is always biking or riding to the shows by himself and lately he lives in California. I suspect what will happen is that there will be a 'meeting' and if Neil decides he is finished they will start to audition other drummers. Can you even imagine those auditions? They would have their pick of pretty much every top drummer in the world as that has to be one of the most coveted jobs out there.

On a positive note the R40 tour was one of the best I have seen from them from my 35 years of seeing them. Up with the Moving Pictures and Presto tours.

First post here. I have been following Rush since about the ATWAS days and have seen pretty much every tour since about 1978 or so. I was also posting on the old usenet/dejanews site, so I have been around the block in regards to the band. After reading most of the comments regarding Neil I think it comes down to Neil having enough of the road. I guess from his perspective he is probably thinking "How many shows is enough"? You really can't blame the guys though I am sometimes frustrated by his attitude towards fame, fans, etc. I believe he likes the fame and excitement more than he lets on.

And from Geddys and Alex's standpoint, look at how 'accepted' they have become in the last 10 years or so. Hall Of Fame, a movie, a documentary, packed arenas, happy fans, good reviews, etc. I mean seriously, can you imagine the Rush (no pun intended) they must get playing the Spirit Of Radio with 20,000 fans clapping along and seeing the happy faces in the flood lights? I mean talk about affirming. And now that has all come to an end without their say so.

I have always suspected a rift in the band as Neil is always biking or riding to the shows by himself and lately he lives in California. I suspect what will happen is that there will be a 'meeting' and if Neil decides he is finished they will start to audition other drummers. Can you even imagine those auditions? They would have their pick of pretty much every top drummer in the world as that has to be one of the most coveted jobs out there.

On a positive note the R40 tour was one of the best I have seen from them from my 35 years of seeing them. Up with the Moving Pictures and Presto tours.

Welcome to TRF. Excellent first post. They tell us in late January their most likely last tour of this magnitude is in three months, and its a short tour, and the one causing this abrupt end wont publicly speak about what he forced Geddy to do. He leaves it to the internet rumor machine to take care of his dirty laundry. Then a few months after the tour, his five year old daughter is telling people her daddy is a retired drummer. Thanks for the memories.

Look at all the talk about this

I cannot recall a time in the band's history when so much attention has been focused on them

Some guys take guns into airports to get into the news ... some get together with models or a current actress ...

Some create the cloud of mystery in regards to their retirement

It seems that being around Gene Simmons back in the day did, in fact, rub off on them

Rush isn't creating the cloud. We are.

• Like 1

I cannot recall a time in the band's history when so much attention has been focused on them

Some guys take guns into airports to get into the news ... some get together with models or a current actress ...

It seems that being around Gene Simmons back in the day did, in fact, rub off on them

Exactly. The only thing that could generate this much attention is the possible/probable/definite (whichever mind you may be) end of Rush no matter how it transpired.

• Like 1

Disagree. Rush is creating it with contradictory comments. Saying you're a retired drummer in an interview isn't a misunderstanding on our part. That's what caused this.

I was surprised, and even more surprised to find myself surprised, because I thought I had fully accepted the fact that they had in all likelihood recorded their last album and played their last show.

Seeing it apparently made official effected me more than I expected.

I realize that Geddy and others have since walked it back a bit (there may be another studio album, perhaps even some live shows if not a tour etc), but I guess the fact that that part of Rush (the touring) is definitely over hadn't really fully sunk in until I read about Neil's Drumhead interview.

So glad I saw them twice on R40.

Edited by rftag

It wasn't unexpected. I'm surprised the band is still together after all these years. They can replace Neil with Gil Moore, the drummer from that other Canadian power trio.

I guess he did admit he was retired in the drum magazine interview Edited by MMCXII

It honestly didn't feel real to me. I just thought that there's no way he could be done with the band. Touring, yes, but not with drumming all together. I was very relieved when Geddy made that statement about him just being done touring.