Peart Talks Retirement in New Drumhead Magazine Interview

Jag2112

After fifty years, he more than deserves it!

Bravo Peart!

Fraroc and all the whingers can stuff it, I am pleased he finally made up his mind!

• Like 13

I give Neil a ton of credit for bringing it to every show, especially on R40 and other times playing through pain. Drumming while in pain is no easy task, especially when you're playing a Rush show I can only imagine. I thought his playing on R40 was great at the show I was at and the DVD.

I also give him credit for knowing where he needed to draw the line, as it couldn't have been an easy decision. I don't care to see Rush with another drummer, and I don't believe there's a need to worry about that. People come out of retirement all the time, so I guess you never know, but this is one band that I never want to see playing as washed up shells of themselves. R40 was a fitting tour to close it out. It had final tour written all over it.

Thanks to Neil for 40 years of creativity, passion and inspiration!

• Like 9

Those of us who are sports fans get what Peart is saying. Brett Farve's last season with the Jets was sad to watch as it happened. So many of us NFL fans don't want to see Peyton Manning come back to play. Why??? We believe his body can't do it anymore, we don't want Brett Farve's last season.

So why won't many people cut Peart some slack? I'd argue most of those people are not drummers, that most of those people don't believe he can't physically do it at a high level. They believe he selfishly wants to sleep in and make PB&J sandwiches for his daughter instead of touring.

Why can't you people get it? Why can't I get it?

• Like 6

Eh, can't blame him really, it was a good run. Congrats Neil and all the best!

The five stages of grief in one minute. I'm impressed.

• Like 7

Those of us who are sports fans get what Peart is saying. Brett Farve's last season with the Jets was sad to watch as it happened. So many of us NFL fans don't want to see Peyton Manning come back to play. Why??? We believe his body can't do it anymore, we don't want Brett Farve's last season.

So why won't many people cut Peart some slack? I'd argue most of those people are not drummers, that most of those people don't believe he can't physically do it at a high level. They believe he selfishly wants to sleep in and make PB&J sandwiches for his daughter instead of touring.

After 30 years in my profession, I get it. I may still have a few mini-tours in me, but I'm ready to have a new focus in my life, while it's still a choice made from a comfortable position.

Good luck to Neil. Hope he's as good a father as he was a drummer...with a bit more feel. (Had to get in one last jab :P )

• Like 6

Favre ended his career with the Vikings two years later.

• Like 2

Bah, what do you know? Your mind is clouded by Patriots hate.

• Like 2

Bah, what do you know? Your mind is clouded by Patriots hate.

The truth about Favre and the Patriots.

Congrats on a great career Neil. Doubt any other drummer since bonham or moon have influenced as many as you and you wrote the lyrics. Truly a great career. Enjoy your retirement and your family!!
  • Like 5

I misremembered but you get my point, Neil should shut the frack up and tour more.

Well this can't be........is what i would say if i didn't already see this coming, lol

Of coure he's done.

Mick

BUT IT IS SUCH A SHOCK TO EVERYONE! HOW DARE HE! AFTER ALL WE HAVE DONE AND HE JUST CALLS IT A DAY?!?!?

RUUUUUUUUDE OLD MAN PEART! HE IS DEAD TO ME! FOUR DECADES OF RUSH?!? CONSTANT TOURING, SONGWRITING AND STACKS OF CLASSIC SOMGS AND ALBUMS?!?!? HE THINKS THIS IS ENOUGH?!?!?

May he rot in a basement for all eternity. He owes us ANOTHER FIVE CENTURIES!

:beathorse:

• Like 5