R40: So Much Negativity

167 replies to this topic

#21 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:27 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 05 December 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

Geddy sounds good for what he is at the moment. Much better than the last tour all the way round.

Truth.

Sponsored Post

#22 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Geddy sounds good for what he is at the moment. Much better than the last tour all the way round.

Truth.

I mean he is what he is. Sure there are mistakes by all of em but misically Ged is still at the top of his game.

#23 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

I think there is way too much negativity in general on this forum.  (Although by stating that, am I being negative?  Eeek!)  There are certainly a few people here who always find it necessary to chime in with negative comments, which is unfortunate.

Let's end this on a positive note:  Yay, :rush: !

#24 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 05 December 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Truth.

I mean he is what he is. Sure there are mistakes by all of em but misically Ged is still at the top of his game.

You're right, he's playing better now than he ever did.

#25 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

View Postx1yyz, on 05 December 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

I think there is way too much negativity in general on this forum.  (Although by stating that, am I being negative?  Eeek!)  There are certainly a few people here who always find it necessary to chime in with negative comments, which is unfortunate.

I would agree with that. I don't know why negativity has become so prevalent around here.

#26 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

View Postx1yyz, on 05 December 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

I would agree with that. I don't know why negativity has become so prevalent around here.

Denial.

#27 Mindcore

Mindcore

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostLorraine, on 05 December 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 05 December 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

Most of us are not being fans correctly is what I gather the op is on about

TrueRushFans™

Not just fans.  :cheers:

No, that's not what I meant! Why all the negativity? I'm amazed that they can still rock out at their "advanced age".

Sorry, but I only see all the positives of their performances during this tour. All you "critics" can disprove me if you can do better than them at the same age!

Edited by Mindcore, 05 December 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#28 LittleRushmonkey

LittleRushmonkey

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2075 posts
  • Interests:Photography, filmmaking and music

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

I've only seen the clips they've released to YouTube and a couple of phone videos from concerts but I personally think ged sounds great on the videos I've seen, especially in comparison to the CA tour. They are my three favourite musicians and I respect Alex and Neil all the more because of their almost perfect playing if complex songs with their conditions. And Neil for doing it with passion even though he would rather spend time with his family.

And BTW I'm probably one of the youngest members here :)

#29 djflex

djflex

The Professor

• Members
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:Doing the tasks the voices in my head tell me to do

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

Im mot bashing anythng...

I loved the tour , the dvd and the live cds

#30 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's It™ Sig

• Members
  • 15996 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

View PostMindcore, on 05 December 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

TrueRushFans™

No, that's not what I meant! Why all the negativity? I'm amazed that they can still rock out at their "advanced age".

Sorry, but I only see all the positives of their performances during this tour. All you "critics" can disprove me if you can do better than them at the same age!
Are we reading the same forum?  I don't know what you're talking about

#31 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6471 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

View PostMindcore, on 05 December 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 05 December 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

View PostTurbine Freight, on 05 December 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostMindcore, on 05 December 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 05 December 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

View PostMindcore, on 05 December 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

I haven't been on here in ages but finally had some free time to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon perusing the Internet and return to this forum.

I can't believe the bashing that is going on about Geddy's vocals on the tour and (in particular) the DVD/Blu-ray. I thought people on here were fans. Obviously (I think) the ones that are complaining are too young to understand aging. Yes, I too have noticed that Geddy no longer has that range of his youth, but he still "sounds like" himself! Trust me, I've seen every tour since AFTK and even in the 80's I noticed differences in his range from the 70's songs that were still in rotation. Part of it was growing as a vocalist and the fact that he did start taking vocal lessons and instead of "screaming" parts he was actually singing them!

I was at the second Toronto show and Ben Mink and the band doing Losing It for the first time ever live was the pinnacle!

Why is nobody focusing on the extremely great musicianship of these 3 in their mid 60's and can pull off some of the most complex compositions that they admit were difficult when they first recorded them (Hemispheres)? They put musicians a third of their age to shame!!!!

I thought the people on this forum were true fans (and understanding human beings). I guess I was wrong. I wish I could do the things I could 30-40 years ago but I can't (and, for the older members, I'm sure you can't either). Why do you expect them to do the same? For you younger members, you'll understand when you get to my age (50).

Peace out. Rush is still the greatest Rock band in my opinion and I thank them for 40 wonderful years of music. They owe me (or anyone else) NOTHING!

Right, so to be "true fans" we aren't allowed to complain about anything.

Gimme a f***ing break :facepalm:

I'm so happy you are the "first and only perfect" human being that ever existed on Earth.

You can trust in his perfection. He's an engineer.

His argument that I think I'm the "first and only perfect" human being makes no sense.

I love Rush. Most (if not all) of us love Rush. But if someone has a negative opinion of whatever it may be, that's their right. It doesn't make them any less of a fan.

Why be negative and not positive about their performance? I know Rush are not perfect. Rush are not machines.

During the tour MC, most TRF members were surprisingly positive about GEDDYS singing during R40, as it was an improvement from his singing on the CA tour.

I think since their final tour ended the fan base is intwo different camps, both a bit angry. One, the fans that are unhappy at Neils solo abrupt decision to retire, and second, those that will be loyal to Neil no matter what, and bottle up their frustrations by not admitting they are not happy with the end. Sad that the once positive consensus during the tour and periscope parties has faded.

#32 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:26 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 05 December 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

View PostMindcore, on 05 December 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 05 December 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

I haven't been on here in ages but finally had some free time to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon perusing the Internet and return to this forum.

I can't believe the bashing that is going on about Geddy's vocals on the tour and (in particular) the DVD/Blu-ray. I thought people on here were fans. Obviously (I think) the ones that are complaining are too young to understand aging. Yes, I too have noticed that Geddy no longer has that range of his youth, but he still "sounds like" himself! Trust me, I've seen every tour since AFTK and even in the 80's I noticed differences in his range from the 70's songs that were still in rotation. Part of it was growing as a vocalist and the fact that he did start taking vocal lessons and instead of "screaming" parts he was actually singing them!

I was at the second Toronto show and Ben Mink and the band doing Losing It for the first time ever live was the pinnacle!

Why is nobody focusing on the extremely great musicianship of these 3 in their mid 60's and can pull off some of the most complex compositions that they admit were difficult when they first recorded them (Hemispheres)? They put musicians a third of their age to shame!!!!

I thought the people on this forum were true fans (and understanding human beings). I guess I was wrong. I wish I could do the things I could 30-40 years ago but I can't (and, for the older members, I'm sure you can't either). Why do you expect them to do the same? For you younger members, you'll understand when you get to my age (50).

Peace out. Rush is still the greatest Rock band in my opinion and I thank them for 40 wonderful years of music. They owe me (or anyone else) NOTHING!

I'm so happy you are the "first and only perfect" human being that ever existed on Earth.

His argument that I think I'm the "first and only perfect" human being makes no sense.

I love Rush. Most (if not all) of us love Rush. But if someone has a negative opinion of whatever it may be, that's their right. It doesn't make them any less of a fan.

Why be negative and not positive about their performance? I know Rush are not perfect. Rush are not machines.

During the tour MC, most TRF members were surprisingly positive about GEDDYS singing during R40, as it was an improvement from his singing on the CA tour.

I think since their final tour ended the fan base is intwo different camps, both a bit angry. One, the fans that are unhappy at Neils solo abrupt decision to retire, and second, those that will be loyal to Neil no matter what, and bottle up their frustrations by not admitting they are not happy with the end. Sad that the once positive consensus during the tour and periscope parties has faded.

Yeah I think this has a lot to do with it.  Some of the negativity is like the anger someone might feel after a death in the family.

#33 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3925 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

While I don't think there needed to be a whole new thread created about this, Mindcore, I do agree with you.

Many people on here are so critical of Geddy's voice because it doesn't sound like what it did in 1978.  Give me a break.  People age.  Now, am I saying you have to love everything Rush has ever done?  No.  But if you're complaining about Geddy's voice on every thread you get the chance, do us all a favor and please shut up.

And while I have the opportunity, let me just point out that if you don't like anything Rush has done since 1982, you're not a true fan.  The reason I'm saying this is because I'm noticing that those are the people who are complaining about Geddy's voice the most.  That's fine, go listen to All the World's a Stage (their worst live album, by the way) and kindly leave us true fans to appreciate how good Geddy sounds for a man his age.

#34 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53784 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

His perfection is hypothetical.

#35 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53784 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

TrueRushFans™

I'm with you.   R40 is about them still having chops, phenomenal chops.  The fact that he's singing at all is amazing.

#36 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

View Postgoose, on 05 December 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

TrueRushFans™

I'm with you.   R40 is about them still having chops, phenomenal chops.  The fact that he's singing at all is amazing.

Especially as much touring as they've done over the years.  They used to do shows every day, not all this skipping days business. All the screaming especially in the 70's couldn't have been a good thing for his vocal cords.

#37 WorkingAllTheTime

WorkingAllTheTime

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 2018 posts
  • Interests:Writing code for the priests of Syrinx.

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:53 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

TrueRushFans™

Especially as much touring as they've done over the years.  They used to do shows every day, not all this skipping days business. All the screaming especially in the 70's couldn't have been a good thing for his vocal cords.

What I find fascinating in all of this is there seems to be two camps of negativity..... the first is a camp around the fact the touring as we know it is done.... the second camp is around the fact they continue to tour and the vocals are not up to the past....

Really?  Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I am actually a bit surprised Neil is the only one wanting to hang it up if they are going to get hit from both directions.

#38 satchmothesnowdog

satchmothesnowdog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:02 PM

Fans are allowed to be observant and even critical. Sure, there are a few people here who love shitting on the band members for various reasons, but most of what's said that isn't pure smoke blowing up anal pore type stuff is honest critique.

You're asking us to be freakin Moonies. Can't do it.

#39 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:06 PM

View PostWorkingAllTheTime, on 05 December 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

TrueRushFans™

What I find fascinating in all of this is there seems to be two camps of negativity..... the first is a camp around the fact the touring as we know it is done.... the second camp is around the fact they continue to tour and the vocals are not up to the past....

Really?  Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I am actually a bit surprised Neil is the only one wanting to hang it up if they are going to get hit from both directions.

Hit from whom? Us? I doubt they decide anything based on what we want or don't want.

#40 The Analog Teen

The Analog Teen

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:14 PM

I always use Spotify while doing homework and because most of the songs it chooses are from the Clockwork Angels tour (their shuffle system isn't very good), I've grown to not really mind his voice then, despite it having been as bad as it was. I understand they're all aging, and hey, I don't even care, they're still legends! Not all of us younger folk are oblivious, I just hope those who don't understand consider how hard it can be to be doing this for 40 years.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users