The Official 2016 Chicago Cubs thread...

laughedatbytime

So, 97-65 and a WC and DS win in 2015, and with a ton of young talent with an extra year of development, things look bright on the North Side of Chicago. So it's time to talk some Hot Stove in preparation for next year. Here's an article about some of Theo's thoughts on what the Cubbies are looking to do in the offseason...it WAS written before Lackey and Samardizja's signings but still there's a lot of good information here...

Chicago Cubs President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein met with the media today yesterday in advance of next week’s Winter Meetings, and you can read his comments in the Twitter feeds of Cubs beat writers Bruce Miles, Patrick Mooney, Jesse Rogers, Carrie Muskat, Gordon Wittenmyer, and Mark Gonzales (do yourself a favor and just follow them on Twitter already).

Some of the topics discussed by Epstein, together with my thoughts …

The Cubs and David Price did indeed have mutual interest, but, no surprise, it simply got to a level where the Cubs couldn’t go right now financially. I’d add from my perspective that it’s only prudent for a team to spend $30+ million annually on a pitcher on a long-term deal if they’ve got so much money available that they can completely paper over any mistake. That is to say, even if the Cubs, right now, could have afforded Price, it probably wouldn’t have been a good idea to maneuver to make it work.

As for Jeff Samardzija, Epstein admitted that conversations there are “ongoing.” We talked earlier today yesterday about the price level to which Samardzija talks might be going, and how that might be a less appealing fit for the Cubs than, say, John Lackey. Amending this line now, in light of the Lackey signing: what’s interesting is that Epstein made the comments about Samardzija talks being ongoing only moments before the Lackey signing broke – which means he was making those comments, presumably, long after he knew that a deal had been struck with Lackey. To be quite clear, that does not necessarily mean the Cubs are still pursuing Samardzija even after inking Lackey – it’s possible that, because of the impending physical, and because not every t was crossed nor i dotted, Epstein was leaving his options open. Maybe the Lackey deal could fall through, in which case the Samardzija negotiations would continue. But, yes, I’ll hold open the possibility that the Cubs will continue to pursue Samardzija even after signing Lackey. I tend to think it’s unlikely (a trade for a second starter, if one is to be acquired at all, seems far more likely). [uPDATE: Yup. Unlikely, indeed. The Giants just signed Samardzija.]

Also on Samardzija: now that Greinke has signed with the Diamondbacks for a massive sum, you can be sure that both the Dodgers and Giants are going to be going aggressively after, among other pitchers, Samardzija. That would seem to make it all the more difficult for the Cubs to make a legitimate go at Samardzija, unfortunately, especially if they want to have some flexibility to do stuff elsewhere.

Speaking of which, Epstein said that the baseball side is working with the business side to open up find money if necessary (Rogers). For now, I’m not reading anything more into that than a very general statement. We know the Cubs have a budget, we know that it’s going to limit them. We also know that Epstein is never going to say exactly how much they can or cannot do.

In center field, Epstein mentioned that the Cubs are open to Dexter Fowler returning, though it has to make sense for 2016 and beyond. Separately, he implied that the team could go with some kind of rotation – players that complement each other. On that, I’d point out that, even with a guy like Jason Heyward, you might see the Cubs doing some rotating, given that he’s elite in right field, but could also probably play effectively in center field. It all depends on personnel, but shifting around in the outfield (and infield) to optimize rest and match-ups is a very Joe Maddon thing, so I expect that to continue no matter who the players are. The nice thing, though, is that it gives the Cubs’ front office more options, comfortably – i.e., they can pursue a big-timer like Heyward, or they can go for platoon types, knowing Maddon will maximize their usage.

Speaking of center field and rotations, Epstein said that Javy Baez will play some center field in winter ball, which I discussed in more detail yesterday.

Epstein said – again, before the Lackey signing came out – that his guess was that the Cubs would sign a free agent and make a trade, though I can’t quite tell from my readings whether that was with respect to starting pitchers, only, or whether that was an overall kind of thing. Seems more likely it was the former, given the other holes the Cubs have; but, either way, Epstein said it was just a guess.

I think it was always pretty plausible that the Cubs would sign a free agent starter and make a trade for another (indeed, many of us have been saying for weeks that, on the starting pitching side, inking a mid-tier starter and trading for quality, cost-controlled starter would be the ideal offseason).

Now we see what happens this weekend at at the Winter Meetings next week, which Epstein said could be “wild.” While I’m sure the Cubs have a plan of attack, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them waiting back a bit now that they’ve got Lackey in the fold. That gives them plenty of cover to be much more opportunistic on the pitching side. And, of course, if the right deal for center field presents itself, the Cubs will make a move. I’m not hiding the ball that I hope it’s Jason Heyward, but I also think there has to be a level of realism among fans about how much he’s going to cost (would anyone be at all shocked by 10 years and $250 million at this point?), and about whether the Cubs can really go there. If the Cubs wind up adding a pitcher in trade and signing a lesser center fielder (Denard Span? Austin Jackson? A Fowler return?), it’s going to be mighty hard to complain about that offseason.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2015/12/05/theo-epstein-speaks-price-samardzija-budget-pitching-center-field-more/

The Cubs...LOL!

Find a new manager yet? Hopefully everyone over there is playing nice with each other, now.

Maybe they could rehire Matt Williams. Can't believe anyone hasn't already snapped up that guy by now.

The Cubs...LOL!

Find a new manager yet? Hopefully everyone over there is playing nice with each other, now.

Dusty Baker.

You no like? Maybe we should take this to SOCN, because I'm 'bout to go all Reb on you.

:LOL:

The Cubs...LOL!

Srsly? A Nats fan?

Who did YOU pick to win it all last year?

Well, you guys were supposed to be good...didn't exactly happen.

The Cubs...LOL!

Srsly? A Nats fan?

Who did YOU pick to win it all last year?

Well, you guys were supposed to be good...didn't exactly happen.

Now you need to extrapolate that.

Dusty Baker?

:rfl:

You're joking, right?

Dusty Baker.

No, seriously? Who's in the running?

Go ahead and hate all you want. I know what the knock is on Dusty from his time in Chicago. But he learned, and was much better in Cincinnati.

You guys definitely have a great skipper, no questions. But Dusty has gotten much better since his days with the Cubs. And he's got (and will get) even better players in the Nats organization.

Dusty Baker.

No, seriously? Who's in the running?

Go ahead and hate all you want. I know what the knock is on Dusty from his time in Chicago. But he learned, and was much better in Cincinnati.

You guys definitely have a great skipper, no questions. But Dusty has gotten much better since his days with the Cubs. And he's got (and will get) even better players in the Nats organization.

With all honesty, losing Zimmermann hurts, and as last year showed, injuries can be killer. Bryce Harper can't do everything. But I expect the Nats will bounce back up to 90+, because the rest of the NL East should be a complete dumpster fire. I don't see the Mets replicating what they did last year.

No real comment on Dusty Baker from me other than "we'll see how it goes".

Edited by BowlCity

The Cubs...LOL!

Maybe they could rehire Matt Williams. Can't believe anyone hasn't already snapped up that guy by now.

Straight outta Carson City, yo!

I only hope that since we signed Lackey, he and Lester don't decide to revert to the bullshit they pulled while they were on the Red Sox :facepalm:

Jake would kick their ass...

• Like 2

I only hope that since we signed Lackey, he and Lester don't decide to revert to the bullshit they pulled while they were on the Red Sox :facepalm:

Contributing to a World Series win? I wouldn't worry too much.

I wouldn't about that, either. They will.

I'm worried they'll pick up on that good old Red Sox work ethic and go back to eating fried chicken and drinking beer in the dugout. I suppose they weren't browsing Instagram, though, so that's a start.

• Like 2

You don't do that shit in front of the President. He'll gladly give up a ball in the count if he's on the mound to shoot that can of beer out of their hands.

I'm worried they'll pick up on that good old Red Sox work ethic and go back to eating fried chicken and drinking beer in the dugout. I suppose they weren't browsing Instagram, though, so that's a start.

You guys confuse me. That was 2011. Two years later, the Red Sox, including Lackey and Lester, won the World Series. So which one is ancient history? Maybe you could make a list for me?

You know what? Never mind. I've figured it out. The past is relevant when it supports your argument. That's consistent, in a sense.

You don't do that shit in front of the President. He'll gladly give up a ball in the count if he's on the mound to shoot that can of beer out of their hands.

What was his record in the NLCS again? What was his team's record in games started by him again?

A real tough cowboy, yeah.

You guys confuse me. That was 2011. Two years later, the Red Sox, including Lackey and Lester, won the World Series. So which one is ancient history? Maybe you could make a list for me?

You know what? Never mind. I've figured it out. The past is relevant when it supports your argument. That's consistent, in a sense.

I'm not the one fighting with you over the "ancient history" stuff, that's LABT. Yes, we haven't won a WS since 1908.

But we're in a far better position than the Sox :)

Also, it looks like the Cubs are playing the ALW this year, so maybe we'll see you in 2017. Then the Cubs and Red Sox will go the WS, and you and LABT can finally tie the knot.

• Like 1