R40 CD/DVD Packaging: Could the trays be any more awkward?

33 replies to this topic

#1 zappafrank

zappafrank

The Seeker

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:08 PM

Picked up the Best Buy version of the combo pack, and good Lord, are the disc trays awful.  Not only do the center teeth/whatever/latches seem fragile and flimsy as hell (both putting discs in and taking them out), but the way you have to place the bottom discs under a piece of hard plastic but with no room to get under it to lift it up and out just makes for multiple attempts before finally getting the disc out.

Whoever thought this was a good design really needs to be taken to task.

ETA: The indents for the bottom discs do no good when you constantly feel like lifting the disc out is going to break the aforementioned center latch thing, even if you depress it slightly with your other hand, which then of course requires that you have a flat surface to lay everything on lest you rip or bend the cardboard packaging trying to mess with the discs themselves.

Edited by zappafrank, 05 December 2015 - 01:12 PM.

Sponsored Post

#2 djflex

djflex

The Professor

• Members
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:Doing the tasks the voices in my head tell me to do

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

You are correct i thought the same thing

#3 gtbos

gtbos

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

Have you noticed best buy flashlight.the Starman is backwards.probaly made in china.

#4 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42280 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

As soon as I got it home and looked at it, I thought the same thing.

Really cheap packaging.

#5 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42280 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:47 PM

I just bought the dvd, but there's no slip case (whatever you call it), and the quality of the cardboard or whatever they make these things with is poor.  It was curling up at the ends in the packaging.

#6 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

Everyone should return their discs and claim faulty packaging.

#7 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

View Postgtbos, on 05 December 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

Have you noticed best buy flashlight.the Starman is backwards.probaly made in china.

You're kidding....

#8 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:44 PM

View Postytserush, on 05 December 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

You're kidding....

I thought this was well known by now?

#9 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

You're kidding....

Must not have read those threads....(I chose not to pay the extra $10 to find out for myself.)

#10 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5898 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

Most original Rush-related issue to complain about?

#11 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

View Postytserush, on 05 December 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

You're kidding....

Must not have read those threads....(I chose not to pay the extra $10 to find out for myself.)

I'm not sure if it was posted about much here but just in general.

#12 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:41 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 05 December 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

Most original Rush-related issue to complain about?

It's the only time they've ever had packaging quite so awkward so that's why it hasn't come up before.  Probably the same person designed this as the T-shirt graphics from the last tour.  They were both pretty amateurishly done.

#13 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

Not only do the overlapping trays suck, but it drives me nuts how small they made the print that tells you which of the 4 discs is which!  The blu-ray can only be distinguished by the tiny "b" at the very bottom of the disc.  Terrible design all around.

Edited by TexMike, 05 December 2015 - 11:24 PM.

#14 BloodofTheZodiac

BloodofTheZodiac

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

It's pretty much the same packaging as all of their DVD's, but the R30, S&A and CA DVD's had more discs, so there was more fold overs. I wish they had made a limited amount of Steelbook editions though. Also...the Time Machine DVD had a glossy cover, which I wish R40 had. They definitely could have put a little more effort into those details.

#15 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2223 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

Piss poor packaging for such a great release.

Just piss poor.

#16 Hakky2112

Hakky2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Walks on the beach, cuddling Teddy, headphones, glass of shiraz and a bag of organic chips. Cozy crosswords, kudosu, marganas, the bounty of RUSH!

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

Oh well. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the music and video.  Negative Nancy is not in my circle of friends.  Sort of shocked that now, Optimistic Olivia now has a "retired drummer" for a Dad; her/their needs are greater than ours; individually or collectively. Peart Family FTW.

Besides, how can RUSH top Clockwork Angels and their next R40 tour?
CA + R40 are their epic grapefruit/honeydew...I am both sated and satisfied.
The Garden can grow from all of their seeds and crops and harvests, bountifully.
I have come to terms with it, saying.  No offense, either-- friends...

We got lucky or, fortunate with Vapor Trails (and it's not all about Neil, or is it, but w/e).
Two more increasingly EPIC albums S+A, CA and you cannot beat Headlong Flight, BU2B, The Garden.  Why try?

These guys are my ABSOLUTE favorite band ever, since 1983, and I can only applaud/thank/relish/enjoy/re-listen/re-listen/listen again to all of the (live) albums.
ATWAS, ESL, ASOH and on, plus the numerous bootlegs I acquired in the '90s.

Well, I only care to share how they've influenced me, and I think my happy gravy boat is full, or at least complete.
Circa 1997: <Well what were our briefs and griefs then...hurry up Neil..?>
NP's been thru hell and back, and back.

My suggestion: Put Clockwork Angels on, all the way to The Garden,  Philosophize?

Hugs, guys...sorry for the rant...
My sense upon seeing the Vancouver show this summer was that they are so done.

But you know, R40 Anthem is on Blu-Ray right now...gotta run...

Edited by Hakky2112, 06 December 2015 - 09:08 PM.

#17 robertrobyn

robertrobyn

Positive attitude, positive results

• Members
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Rush and More Rush!! Collecting Rush Stuff!!! My Family!

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

I hate the packaging. The pictures on the web had it in a standard blue plastic  case. Oh well!!

#18 Xanadu

Xanadu

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

For those of you who were saying that your copies arrived damaged/broken, would you say this had anything to do with it? Because I found them really strange too.

#19 John V

John V

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Music. Culinary Arts. Marijuana Advocate. Miami Dolphins Football. Beer.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

Our local Best Buy did not have any Rush DVD's or Blue ray sets at all.  My wife bought mine online.  I've only watched it once and did not notice any issues with the packaging?
Our Best Buy is pretty shitty IMO.

#20 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 786 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

I haven't received my copy of R40 live yet but i am going to grumble in general about cd/dvd packaging.I am careful when handling my collection( but not anal) but now I have separate storage sleeves for some of my multidisc sets because the trays are broken or the cds/dvds are just too hard to get out.One day I went to play Rio(first disc)and the disc cracked.Fortunately a friend burnt me a copy as I wasn't to keen on buying it again as it wasn't cheap down here in Oz.My Stevie  Ray Vaughan set lost all its teeth on 3 of its 4 trays within months while LZ Celebration Day is just falling apart in general.I like how the Sector series had there own plastic inners.I got some for my LZ reissues.Looks like when R40 comes I will just get some separate storage sleeves and file away the original packaging.Annoying though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users