The "whole ball of wax"?

Tom Sawyer

I've never seen a ball of wax...let alone understand why anyone would have, need, request, possess, or otherwise obsess with or about a ...."ball of wax", let alone fragment it in portions such as a half, a quarter, ... one-third, a "ball of wax" .. leading anyone to claim .... "well... that's it, the whole ball of wax". ???

Wicked topic eh?

I've never seen a ball of wax...let alone understand why anyone would have, need, request, possess, or otherwise obsess with or about a ...."ball of wax", let alone fragment it in portions such as a half, a quarter, ... one-third, a "ball of wax" .. leading anyone to claim .... "well... that's it, the whole ball of wax". ???

Wicked topic eh?

:LOL:

There are various stories for this phrase's origin. The only one I remember is that jewelers used to use a ball of wax to pick up gold flakes. Sooooo when you got the "whole ball of wax" you got a ball with gold on it.

Who knows though? It could've been written on a Jawk Jaw scroll by a mad man 500 years ago to confuse people into thinking it actually had meaning.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

Most likely from the 'candle' people......http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Psychedelic%20stuff/stuff-%20Wax%20ball%20candle.jpg :banana:

I can't say I've ever heard that term before.

But it makes me think of a ball of someone's ear wax :scared:

You haven't been around my dad enough. It must have been a hot phrase in the 1940's! In college in Iowa, no less. (but not where you are :), BowlCity. ) :heart: my Dad.

Edited by blueschica

Super groce, but so strangely satisfying to watch. You've been warned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1-9bdbX5sQ

Why did I watch that. And why did that person never use Q-Tips/cotton buds?!

problem is they probably were using q-tips and just stuffing the ear wax back into a huge ball--they is why the q-tip box says to not insert in ears. :dweez:

I know where "the whole nine yards" came from. That's how far the Eagles get before they have to punt.

It seems the Eagles can't even TOUCH the LIONS.....

I can't believe I ate the whole thing.....

Wasn't that an Alka Seltzer commercial from the '70s?

Oh man - that must've felt so good coming out.

GREP!!! :wub:

ORF!!!!!!!! :ebert:

Edited by grep
  • Like 1