The Speed Of Love vs Dog Years

YYZumbi

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which song do you prefer most?

My vote goes for Dog Years.

Rush/Geddy should not sing love songs like they do in The Speed Of Love... It just feels awkward some how.

Edited by YYZumbi

Speed Of Love is one of the bands best none-classic songs.

Speed Of Love.

• Like 3

This is like asking "which do you prefer. Deer shit or Moose shit?"

You really are starved for attention if you are creating such important polls. :|

This is like asking "which do you prefer. Deer shit or Moose shit?"

You really are starved for attention if you are creating such important polls. :|

OMG!!!! I never come into this section because it's so fukking boring but when I saw two of the worst Rush songs ever made going up each other I had to chime in!

Both songs are DOG SHIT. The Speed Of Love has no speed and love is an illusion. Dog Years musically is ok too bad Neil was on crack cocaine one night up this starry starry pad in Canada.

Worst lyrics ever.

So I vote for none.

TSOL is, IMO, a very good song. I like it a lot.

Dog Years - I don't like it at all.

TSOL gets my vote - no contest.

Agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

In The Speed of Love, I think Peart was trying to go for something deeply earnest, but the weather and science metaphors are pretty heavy-handed and even cliched, although his turns of phrase are typically clever. Chemistry works way better metaphorically.

With Dog Years, I think Peart was actually trying to be humorous and cute, even though the subject of time passing quickly as you age is kind of depressing. Here he is deliberately referencing cliches - the things we tell our young children when the dog dies ("he's chasing cars in doggie heaven), "every dog has its day," etc. - and weaving them together. There are actually some pretty clever lyrics here, but if you take them "to Sirius" you won't find them enjoyable. And, in maybe an ironic sort of way, Peart may even be making fun of his own lyrics here in the last verse, or poking fun at people who may be trying to find deep meaning in the lyrics, even though they're meant sort of whimsically.

In a dog's brain, a constant buzz of low-level static

One sniff at the hydrant and the answer is automatic

It seems to me as we make our own few circles round the block

We've lost our senses for the higher level static of talk

People who have a certain love of or affinity for language know that there is a purely aesthetic dimension to words, a pure evocation (beyond or maybe pre-existing "meaning").

I think the pun is even reinforced in the picture of the dog tag, with the words "Rush Limbo." Limbaugh is someone who makes his career out of talking and commentary - political commentary, which is mostly bullshit. And we spend so much time talking and talking and talking instead of living. We measure our lives out in meetings and writing long posts on fan forums . . .

Anyway, you can love or hate the lyrics, but in my opinion there's some fun, thoughtful stuff here.

• Like 1

In The Speed of Love, I think Peart was trying to go for something deeply earnest, but the weather and science metaphors are pretty heavy-handed and even cliched, although his turns of phrase are typically clever. Chemistry works way better metaphorically.

With Dog Years, I think Peart was actually trying to be humorous and cute, even though the subject of time passing quickly as you age is kind of depressing. Here he is deliberately referencing cliches - the things we tell our young children when the dog dies ("he's chasing cars in doggie heaven), "every dog has its day," etc. - and weaving them together. There are actually some pretty clever lyrics here, but if you take them "to Sirius" you won't find them enjoyable. And, in maybe an ironic sort of way, Peart may even be making fun of his own lyrics here in the last verse, or poking fun at people who may be trying to find deep meaning in the lyrics, even though they're meant sort of whimsically.

People who have a certain love of or affinity for language know that there is a purely aesthetic dimension to words, a pure evocation (beyond or maybe pre-existing "meaning").

I think the pun is even reinforced in the picture of the dog tag, with the words "Rush Limbo." Limbaugh is someone who makes his career out of talking and commentary - political commentary, which is mostly bullshit. And we spend so much time talking and talking and talking instead of living. We measure our lives out in meetings and writing long posts on fan forums . . .

Anyway, you can love or hate the lyrics, but in my opinion there's some fun, thoughtful stuff here.

I agree with what you say but they work better as commentaries or poetry than as rock songs.

• Like 1

I agree with what you say but they work better as commentaries or poetry than as rock songs.

Point conceded. There's another song that lots of people hate that maybe suffers the same problem - that's Superconductor. There's some quite clever stuff there. I love the line "pin the donkeys on her tail" - which resonates a bit with the line "their tails between their ears."

Point conceded. There's another song that lots of people hate that maybe suffers the same problem - that's Superconductor. There's some quite clever stuff there. I love the line "pin the donkeys on her tail" - which resonates a bit with the line "their tails between their ears."

Yeah I can see that. I think Superconductor mostly suffers lyrically from the constant role reversal and musically it's like they didn't quite know what to do with it.

Yeah I can see that. I think Superconductor mostly suffers lyrically from the constant role reversal and musically it's like they didn't quite know what to do with it.

It's such a bland riff, such a weak pop-rock vibe. I can't in my wildest imaginings see Lifeson and Lee having great respect for a riff like that - A and G? I choose to see that as a deliberate choice. "A strong and simple beat that you can dance to." It is packaged for the masses, which is part of what the song is about. It's Rush's answer to the cliched rock tune of the times. The whole thing is so "not like Rush" it has to be ironic. I think it's a joke on the music buying public. "Hoping you'll believe, designing to deceive, that's entertainment." And they made a video for it. A suit-wearing corporate executive behind a control panel, controlling everything. Lee and Lifeson on opposite sides of the stage, like evil twins.

It's such a bland riff, such a weak pop-rock vibe. I can't in my wildest imaginings see Lifeson and Lee having great respect for a riff like that - A and G? I choose to see that as a deliberate choice. "A strong and simple beat that you can dance to." It is packaged for the masses, which is part of what the song is about. It's Rush's answer to the cliched rock tune of the times. The whole thing is so "not like Rush" it has to be ironic. I think it's a joke on the music buying public. "Hoping you'll believe, designing to deceive, that's entertainment." And they made a video for it. A suit-wearing corporate executive behind a control panel, controlling everything. Lee and Lifeson on opposite sides of the stage, like evil twins.

They were right when they said that most of their humor isn't understood by their fans. This is a prime example.

• Like 1

I honestly think Superconductor is a musical and lyrical commentary. Musically, it's supposed to sound like a pop rock commercial song, and lyrically it's about targeting music and entertainment to the masses with no real meaning or substance behind it. In that light, it makes me appreciate it a lot.
  • Like 1